Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The official "Worst playcalling in NFL history" thread (MEGA merged)

E-Dog Night

My guess is we finish 4-12 and Gibb steps down to the front office at the end of the season. Unless Saunders is fired by Monday and then we could go 8-8. With Saunders running the offense 90% of the time and Gibbs 10% we have a major problem.

Tom

No, we still play Arizonia, Detroit, @minnesota.

Here's the big problem with Gibbs II, in my opinion: With Saunders in charge of the offense (assuming he is) and GW in charge of the D, Gibbs' primarily role in these games is game management. And I can't think of a coach this side of Herm Edwards who's worse at this role at his point. We've seen evidence of it in each of the first three weeks:

Week 1 -- The ridiculous decision to kick a FG on first down

Week 2 -- The crazy ending to the first half

[Now, some would argue that the outcome justifies the process in each of these cases, but I would wholeheartedly disagree.]

Week 3 -- The panic at the end of the game: the decision to spike it on first down, as well as running the same play on 3rd and 4th, despite having more than enough time on the clock.

Now it's unfair to compare any team to the Patriots, but I consider their calm, reasoned game management -- going for it on 4th downs, calmly calling plays when the clock is running down, etc -- to be a big contributor to their success. Gibbs' conservative, panic-ridden decision making (combined with Campbell's inexperience) is a significant problem for the Redskins... one that can be overcome in some games if the team executes well enough, of course.

Nope, I never heard that. I've heard of QBs changing bad playcalls though.
Yes a vet QB can change a bad play but we do not have a vet QB. Remember we have a virtual rookie as a QB. We lost a game because of a weak right side of our Off line and we did not execute well on defense in the second half. It was not poor play calling. It may have been poor formations on the goal line in the last minute but the game was lost before that.

I agree w/ the playcalling crap! This is the NFL---when you get a 14 point lead, it means GO FOR THE JUGULAR!!! We sat on it in the second half like we were comfy, and the defense got schooled on 3rd down conversions. And somebody said something about Collins starting??!!?? Are you serious????? I agree that Campbell is what kept us in it, and they need to call the plays to utilize his talents (and his receivers!!). Playing conservative cost us this one, so I hope the coaches learned something!!!

:dallasuck

I am having some problems with play-calling more than game management. Clock-wise, we haven't had many problems, but our play calling is sometimes ridiculous. If you're going to run it, why not up the gut with Portis or Sellers? Why not put the game in Campbell's hands on a rollout or bootleg? He made all the passes leading up to it, and the only chance you can give your supposed QB-of-the-future is a pass to your fullback and not your sure-handed TE?

This hasn't been a problem just today, it's been a problem everytime we sniff the goal line, and it's costing us opportunities. As a prime example (other than today), look at the second Philly game of last year. If we're going to have Campbell lead this offense, then HAVE HIM LEAD THE OFFENSE.

I am having some problems with play-calling more than game management. Clock-wise, we haven't had many problems, but our play calling is sometimes ridiculous. If you're going to run it, why not up the gut with Portis or Sellers? Why not put the game in Campbell's hands on a rollout or bootleg? He made all the passes leading up to it, and the only chance you can give your supposed QB-of-the-future is a pass to your fullback and not your sure-handed TE?

This hasn't been a problem just today, it's been a problem everytime we sniff the goal line, and it's costing us opportunities. As a prime example (other than today), look at the second Philly game of last year. If we're going to have Campbell lead this offense, then HAVE HIM LEAD THE OFFENSE.

What you dont like a short side sweep for the third time, or a deep of guard run on 3 and 1, or a WR sweep, or WR reverse....the play calling was horrible!

Entering the fourth quarter, I knew we were going to lose for one reason: we stopped running the ball. Whenever, we stop running the ball...we lose PERIOD. I thought the playcalling was dumb in the sense that we kept going PA in the 2nd half despite barely having run the ball in the 2nd half. I hope next time Gibbs is in this type of situation, he sticks with Portis, Betts, AND Sellers.

Really?The D stayed on the field the majority of the second half and you can't expect them to do it all!!! The giants had scored two td's before Saunders started calling anything that made any sense at all or the Portis fumble. The reverses and the end rounds getting called right into the blitzes, no play action and calling runs that don't lead into play action. The giants secondary sucks and Saunders did a piss poor job of trying to exploit it. I said that I was probably over reacting but man that was some shady play calling!!!
It is easy to sit here and blame the coaches but both the OFF and DEFF PLAYED TERRABLE IN THE SECOND HALF. There were missed tackles, dropped passes, penalties and a KEY FUMBLE and you want to blame the coach? I never said I expect the D to do it all but that did not stop the Giants at all in the second half and the OFF could not make one first down. The Giants must have had 300 yards passing in the second half. You were not blaming the coaches when we won on the road in Philly. The Giants have a real good passing game and a good blocking Off line. They MADE THE PLAYS and we did not get ANY SACKS OR PRESSURE. YEA, the coaches fault.

Coaching Scared 101.

First Half: Saunders

Second Half: Gibbs

If we had played one style consistently we would have won today.

Pick one because schizo-football killed us today. It absolutely killed us.

One touchdown in the second half and we win but we played so tight that we couldn't make a first down much less six. Our coaching staff is so scared to lose that they're incapable of excelling. Let Campbell loose, he can ball. Who cares if he throws three picks the guy can make plays, and who cares if Portis fumbled, he has to be out there at crunch time. Stop being scared of what could go wrong and let good things happen.

Uhh. We lost because we tried to run the ball too much. If we opened up the offense to 3 and 4 WR sets and aired it out we would have won this game. You can thank Gibbs for doing exactly what you suggest and losing the game.

I tend to agree. The last drive was a perfect example. The Giants sold out on the run. I think they know Gibbs won't put the ball in the hands of Campbell and that was advantageous to them. We moved the ball through the air on the last drive, and then went to the run on the final two play. The Giants pass d stinks. THROW THE BALL. A nice bootleg option there probably does the trick. :doh:

There are times in life that people and coaches over the age of 50 need to put there glasses on and see the obvious. The first two possessions in the second half killed the momentum for the skins and gave it to the giants. The reverses and end arounds were the coaches fault .You can't execute a play that is doomed from the start. The coaches failed to call plays that exploited the giants defense-end of story!!!

Archived