Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The official "Worst playcalling in NFL history" thread (MEGA merged)

E-Dog Night

The Cowboys and Packers beat the Giants by being aggressive and trying to stomp on their throats every drive. We did the opposite and paid dearly for it.

What I want to know is - since we have Saunders, why doesn't our offense look like the Chiefs teams that were number 1 in the NFL on offense two or three years in a row? I don't think it's personnel, because Portis = Holmes or LJ, and Santana Moss > Eddie Kennison. I think Campbell < Trent Green, but not by much. Cooley is probably = T. Gonzalez on his better days.

So if we have comparable weapons, is it that our weapons are just too stupid to run the Saunders offense, or is it that Gibbs is getting too involved?

Is it pos you are forgetting we have backups playing on the right side of the off line? We also have a virtual rookie QB. With all due respect I dont think our receivers are PRO BOWL CALIBER when the Giants have 3 PRO-BOWL receivers and Manning was putting the ball right on the numbers in the second half yesterday. Oh yea, we have NO PASS RUSH to speak of.

The bottom line is it should NEVER of had to come down to 4th and goal to tie the game. When a Team is up 17-3 at half time you squash the opponent. New England and Indy run up the score they dont let up. The play calling SUCKED. The Giants secondary is terrible but yet we did not challenge them. The screens to Betts got us 10+ yard every time. Cooley had 3 catches not used enough. Randle El the skins leading receiver got three throws. Rock Cartwright and Randel El gave us great field position on returns..we did not take advantage.On the goal line we should have spread the field out....you don't crowd the line..you know a run is coming or a release off the line..Jason is still learning..there were times he could have ran but waited too long for a receiver to get open. Folks, we needed that game and the Lions wil be no easy task (FORGET what Philly did)....The Cowboys beat a very good Defense...Can you say reality check??????

Dude, if we can't beat the Giants at home, with all their injuries, AT HOME, with our elite defense and Portis and Moss and Cooley healthy, hell even Springs healthy, we can't call any one of those games a win.

14 point lead at the half against the worst defense in the league, 80 points in 2 games against Dallas and a very average Green Bay offense and you think we can beat Detroit?

This is all I have to say:

The Cowboys lite-up the Bears def last nite and the Packer offence is HOT right now and they still have Farve. Looks to me that the Giants deff is not as bad as we thought. Add to that the FACT we have a patched up OFF LINE and that caused JC to feel pressure and helped them in stopping our running game. I think we can beat the Lions and if we cant then we have not improved that much since last year.

EXACTLY... who's offense is this!?

Does anyone know? who runs our offense? seriously... if it's Gibbs..why are we paying Saunders... if it's Saunders... what's with the open up... and then conservative when we are winning...

SOMEONE TAKE OVER... seriously.. this is BS.

I could be wrong but I think JG is just a figure head and he decided to hire the 2 best cordinators that he could find and let them do the work. I think our overall personel is average and we keep thinking we should be a playoff team but in fact we are just a little above average team. Add to that the fact we lost 2 good off lineman so now we cant run to that side. Teams will pressure us from that side on passing plays so JC is rushed causing inaccuracy in the passing game.

I could be wrong but I think JG is just a figure head and he decided to hire the 2 best cordinators that he could find and let them do the work. I think our overall personel is average and we keep thinking we should be a playoff team but in fact we are just a little above average team. Add to that the fact we lost 2 good off lineman so now we cant run to that side. Teams will pressure us from that side on passing plays so JC is rushed causing inaccuracy in the passing game.

JG called the plays in 2005 the year the Skins went to the playoffs. Many questioned the fact JG brought in Al Saunders because many felt the Skins only needed a 2 receiver to compliment Santana Moss. Gibbs is not a figure a head by far because some of the playcalling has his stamp on it.

JG called the plays in 2005 the year the Skins went to the playoffs. Many questioned the fact JG brought in Al Saunders because many felt the Skins only needed a 2 receiver to compliment Santana Moss. Gibbs is not a figure a head by far because some of the playcalling has his stamp on it.
It should not make that much of a diff who is calling the plays. Bottom line is we let the Giants march right down the field at the start of the second half. Same thing as last year but instead of running they threw it. Then we got the ball and could not even get a first down. Was someone different calling the plays in the second half than the first? We moved the ball fine in the first half. The defense stunk in the second half allowing the Giants to complete almost every 3rd down. A good team should be able to pick up a few first downs in 3 or 4 chances and a good def should be able to stop a offence a few times in the second half. Lets face it, yesterday in the second half we were not very good. We still have the same group on def except for MLB and SS so we are improved but at this time we do not look like a championship defense. WE HAVE NO PASS RUSH AND THAT IS THE NAME OF THE GAME IN THE NFL.

There is only one thing I know for sure right now....I have no idea what to make of this team...I have one question though:

Who is the "London Fletcher" on our offense? London leads by example on the field and he sets the tone for the defense...he has to be one of the best free-agent signings we have ever had...where is this guy on our offense?

The guy who will pull the offensive unit together and say, "This is what we are going to do and this how we are going to do it!" Back in the day it was Monk, Byner & Riggins...where is this guy for our offense?

You'll learn a lot the next game against the Lions. We win that one, everything will be okay, we lose, we're in trouble. This loss was significant from the standpoint that this isn't the first time we've given up a huge lead. I think if we lose another game, you'll start to see some of the offensive guys start to rebel. Gibbs better really figure things out because this was the type of loss that could lose the locker room.

I can't help but agree with you, I KNOW we're 2-1 but this is a sign that some MAJOR moves need to be made on the Offense over the BYE week.

It's also a very familiar sign - I'm 68 years old - I've been a Skins fan since the Skins have been a team. I've stood by them as a loyal fan for all these years, but yesterday was absolutely the most depressing, absolute awful display of a professional NFL team I've seen from my team. What the hell happened in the second half. The players didn't change and in some cases if they did - it didn't hurt us. So will someone please make me understand why our key players fumbled, bumbled and absolutely reminded me of the Keystone Cops. And they will not allow me to say the words that describe the one minute goal line fiasco - What was that??????? Where was Portis??????? Was Rabach's head in the field?????? Why didn't Jason take off around those guys????? Somebody help me to understand so that I'll go back to my positive attitude about my home team. Thanks

The play calling was actually good in the first half, but according to FOX Gibbs took over the playcalling duties in the fourth quarter resulting in a big loss. How is this any different from last year??? He is such a predictable old man. It's a shame people develop memory loss when they get older...

First off there young man. Coach Gibbs is a HOF Coach and deserves a little more respect.

Secondly, forget the score at the half, the only difference between the playcalling of the first half and the playcalling of the second half is that the Giants decided to come out and play a little better the second half. They really weren't that good mind you, they were just a little better in the second half. We pretty much stayed the same the whole game. A flash of good play here and there and that's all we had the whole day.

Yeah, I'm right there with you! I was so mad last night, I couldn't speak. Like I've said, this is the NFL, and if you have a 14-point lead at halftime, you CANNOT sit on it--you drive it right down their throat!!! We've actually got good talent on the field, the coaches just need to grow some and not be afraid to use it!

:( I must make an humble apology to Al Saunders!!! There seems to be some light coming out that Gibbs handcuffed Saunders play calling in the second half to ultra conservative. I have been watching Nfl games for 15+ years and I have never witnesses a more blanted attempt to change a game plan.

The change was so obvious to me that I thought foul play or the game was being thrown for money.(why else would someone do something so stupid-unless....) The whole time it was Gibbs being a scared old man. The change played right into the strengths of the giants defense. The Redskins defense then stayed on the field the majority of the second half and became tired and resulted in sloppy play. Majority of today's Nfl offenses are to good to sit on a lead and all this talk of playing close games is BUllsh&^% Mr.Gibbs!!!

I hope this bye week will give Gibbs time to think and become more aggressive. I still honor Gibbs and Redskin tradition but Damn Gibbs you sure do make it tuff on us at times!!! 2-1 is not that bad right now but we must become more aggressive or we will be 8-8 and miss the playoffs again. :dallasuck

im 42 years old, have been a redskin all my life and ive never, ever seen a second half like i witnessed yesterday!!!!! what in the hell happened???? was joe watching the race???? did he forget that you could pass on first and second down???? ****!!!!! that was pathetic!!!!! i went ****in crazy watching the end of that excuse for a game, anyway, where in the **** was clinton portis on their last drive???? im tellin ya, i grew up lovin the skins, always will, but damn it, you cant set on a ****ing lead in the NFL!!!!!!!!!!!! YOUVE GOT TO PUT THESE ****ERS AWAY DUMBASSES!!!!! take some shots downfield you chicken**** *******s!!!!! im tired of wanting to kill somebody on mondays!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived