Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do We Use Taylor Correctly?

method man

Sean Taylor is a playmaker, PERIOD. He is a player who will get picks and go for six, sack the QB off a blitz, and will force fumbles with powerful hits. This season, we are using Sean to cover the deep middle and Landry to play in the box.

From what I am seeing so far, the only time Sean seems to be involved are the few times a RB breaks a long run or the QB decides to go deep three to four times a game. I haven't seen Sean in a position to make a big play. I haven't seen him blitz and haven't seen him have an opportunity at a pick. Should we play Taylor a little closer to the LOS (obviously not as close as Landry) and trust our corners a bit more in man coverage? Should we go with 3 safeties at a time sometimes with Prioleau taking care of the deep middle and letting Taylor freelance at times to make plays, especially on 3rd and long?

Teams are throwing short becuase they don't want to test Taylor or because Taylor has it locked. Probably a little of both. I think that's what's making teams throw short dump offs and so on. And that's why, so far, teams get into 3rd down a lot more with us and don't convert (most of the time). So if we bring Taylor up we would have to change our whole defensive game plan.

Also, I believe Taylor almost got a sack last week so he's not always deep...

Sean Taylor is a playmaker, PERIOD. He is a player who will get picks and go for six, sack the QB off a blitz, and will force fumbles with powerful hits. This season, we are using Sean to cover the deep middle and Landry to play in the box.

From what I am seeing so far, the only time Sean seems to be involved are the few times a RB breaks a long run or the QB decides to go deep three to four times a game. I haven't seen Sean in a position to make a big play. I haven't seen him blitz and haven't seen him have an opportunity at a pick. Should we play Taylor a little closer to the LOS (obviously not as close as Landry) and trust our corners a bit more in man coverage? Should we go with 3 safeties at a time sometimes with Prioleau taking care of the deep middle and letting Taylor freelance at times to make plays, especially on 3rd and long?

Yes we are using him correctly and no we shouldn't do this. I expect ST to have a pro bowl caliber year by being basically invisible. Taking away a large portion of the field he is single-handedly making the defense much better, by reducing the obligations of his teammates and putting them in a better position to make plays. That's worth a lot more to this team than a few scattered ints.

Remember the D last year? We had such a horrible time avoiding big plays, and it killed us all year.

The way we are using ST this year may not be quite as "fun" I guess, but he's the one that is keeping that from happening. If we could get some pressure or put big points on the board we'd see more QBs testing the deep zone and see more of ST's ballhawking skills. We've done neither of those things as of yet.

Give it time. As the rest of the team gets better you'll see more of ST doing what he does best.

Prioleau, while not as good as a player, is highly underrated and does a great job over the middle as well. I am not saying totally change Taylor's role. I think he is doing an excellent job taking away the deep middle. I am just saying we need to play him closer to the LOS more frequently. For example on 3rd and longs, we could have Prioleau take Taylor's role of covering the deep middle and have ST come up to take Washington's LB spot when Washington goes to play DE.

I, for one, trst our CBs when they are in man coverage. They suck in zone. Smoot and Rogers have publicly said that they hate zone, but both are excellent man-to-man cover guys.

It's too bad it's look like Burress isn't going to play. I really wanted to see how Taylor played against a team with the weapons and gameplan to test us deep. So far, we haven't been tested deep at all. Now, that's partially because Taylor's back there but it's also largely because those teams weren't capable of it. It'll be interesting to see how we defend the deep ball when we play against WRs like Burress, Moss, Berrian and the like.

Yes we are using him correctly and no we shouldn't do this. I expect ST to have a pro bowl caliber year by being basically invisible. Taking away a large portion of the field he is single-handedly making the defense much better, by reducing the obligations of his teammates and putting them in a better position to make plays. That's worth a lot more to this team than a few scattered ints.

Taylor is doing what Deion did, he's locking down the field so much people just wont throw at him.

if this were baseball sean taylor would be the second best center fielder in the league. behind only ed reed.

Wrong.

Randy Moss would be the best, from what I'm read and heard about him, he was an absolute beast at baseball (at least the fielding part of it). Randy Moss has the best raw physical gifts of anyone in the NFL. Ed Reed and ST would be 2 and 3.

don't listen to all the haters. This is a legitimate question. Our defense has been good, but we had trouble at times stopping the crap dolphins and if mcnabb makes a few simple throws they may tie that game up. Our best playmaker isn't being put in position yet to make many plays. However I agree that it's only a matter of time before they test him and he will start picking off passes very soon. Give it a few more games, if we're still "bending" and start breaking a little bit, and ST is still never involved, expect a slight change in his role.

I think we've played a whole lot of cover2-3. And both Miami and Philly took what we gave them - which was the underneath stuff. And so we see the corner's alot, coming up to make tackles. But not the free safety. Which is why Carlos has gotten alot of flack, and you haven't heard 21's name much. That said, 2-0, so something's working..

Archived