Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do We Use Taylor Correctly?

method man

Exactly. I got this after reading Om's article and the part about how we have not gotten a pick in 250+ pass attempts. That is ridiculous. I don't like our bend-but-don't-break style. We are not playing to win, we are playing not to lose.

I like being 2-0.

I don't like that you care about anything other than wins.

Wrong.

Randy Moss would be the best, from what I'm read and heard about him, he was an absolute beast at baseball (at least the fielding part of it). Randy Moss has the best raw physical gifts of anyone in the NFL. Ed Reed and ST would be 2 and 3.

:laugh:

Sean Taylor is a playmaker, PERIOD. He is a player who will get picks and go for six, sack the QB off a blitz, and will force fumbles with powerful hits. This season, we are using Sean to cover the deep middle and Landry to play in the box.

From what I am seeing so far, the only time Sean seems to be involved are the few times a RB breaks a long run or the QB decides to go deep three to four times a game. I haven't seen Sean in a position to make a big play. I haven't seen him blitz and haven't seen him have an opportunity at a pick. Should we play Taylor a little closer to the LOS (obviously not as close as Landry) and trust our corners a bit more in man coverage? Should we go with 3 safeties at a time sometimes with Prioleau taking care of the deep middle and letting Taylor freelance at times to make plays, especially on 3rd and long?

Haven't read any response yet but wanted to chime in.

What Taylor can do is something no other safety in the league can do. He takes away the THOUGHT of attacking deep down the field. Through two weeks he's been the NFL's best defender because he has taken away avenues of attack and allowed the rest of the defense to play very different football.

I'm actually very intrigued watching what Williams is doing. Last year, and in the past, he would blitz a certain way to trigger a specific hot route. Some here complain about telegraphed blitzes, but, in many cases, the blitzes were telegraphed on purpose. Teams are programmed in this league. A rusher comes from a certain place and you go a certain place with the ball. We invite that with a declared blitz that is not hard to read. It worked for much of his career. Last year teams seemed to ignore the normal reads and started playing reasonably base football against our blitzes. They knew were goading them. They stopped being goaded.

This year we're doing the same thing -- so far as inviting them to do something -- but we're doing it differently. Now we are leaving very specific gaps, inviting the ball to go a certain place while we drop back, wait, then pursue and hit. It's very interesting watching it. There were many plays against Philly you could tell we were not going to let Westbrook have the ball. And there were more where we WANTED him to have it and created the vacuum that required it, then made a stop.

It'll be great to watch how teams adjust to what we're doing now.

And even when they do, they have a safety in the back who is the top player in the league at roaming the backfield. Taylor changes games from his position like Deion did. The less you see of him, the more impactful he'll actually be performing. We're using him brilliantly at the moment.

Wrong.

Randy Moss would be the best, from what I'm read and heard about him, he was an absolute beast at baseball (at least the fielding part of it). Randy Moss has the best raw physical gifts of anyone in the NFL. Ed Reed and ST would be 2 and 3.

In one of Taylors highlight vids there is a play where he not only stays with Randy step for step (back before Randy went to Oakland), but also knocks the ball out of his hands as they are both falling to the ground -- they show it in slow motion and you can see the ball is falling into Randys hands, but ST has the reflexes to push it just out of reach -- it was an awesome, awesome play

When we don't hear Sean Taylor's name is when he's doing his job. Why do you think that teams are going underneath so much. Last week's game proved this as McScabb never really went up the middle. Most passes by teams have been in the flat, underneath or down the sidelines 10-20 yards. But he's playing centerfield as best as you can. Statistically, this has been disappointing; but for the team he is doing fantastic!

In one of Taylors highlight vids there is a play where he not only stays with Randy step for step (back before Randy went to Oakland), but also knocks the ball out of his hands as they are both falling to the ground -- they show it in slow motion and you can see the ball is falling into Randys hands, but ST has the reflexes to push it just out of reach -- it was an awesome, awesome play

Man I honestly can't wait until we play the Patriots and Tom Brady tries to throw to Moss over the middle. I can just picture Sean jacking him up, then getting in his face the way he did to TO in his rookie year. :D

once we start playing better offenses, he will see more action. we've covered the deep ball so well it seems like he's disappeared, when he is actually just being as effective as possible.

once we get to an offense like new england or dallas, they will take their shots downfield, and ST will have more chances to make plays.

Also...we havent seen any teams with big play capabilities yet. Lets see what happens with the Giants this week. They are going to test him, and he is going to respond...

The Eagles are a team that likes to push the ball deep and to the credit of the secondary there was nothing available. McNabb is a qb who likes to throw the ball downfield and has done so pre and post-TO. Taylor has done a lot to take away that deep game. I like the way we are using him now. Let him roam and protect the deep passing game and the int's will eventually come if we keep up the pass rush.

Did anyone notice on Monday that we had some kind of trick play set up on a punt return? Unfortunately, Randle El had to fair catch the ball but Sean Taylor was standing about ten yards BEHIND him when he did and it looked like the Redskins were setting up some kind of reverse or something. It was pretty obvious Taylor was either meant to return the ball or be a decoy because he was not in position to block for Randel El, he was playing way too deep. Too bad we never got to see what was being set up, I hope we try this again later in the season.

I agree with all those who point out that Greg is using him correctly. So far our opponents are giving him the respect he deserves and they are not even attempting to go deep. I suspect that sooner or later some coach will be stupid enough to go deep; then we will see ST get a pick and that coach will wonder what he was thinking.

ST has the range and athletic ability to shut down the long pass. I suggest that LL has similar ability; so Greg could blitz ST and have LL cover deep; just to confuse the QB.

Prioleau, while not as good as a player, is highly underrated and does a great job over the middle as well. I am not saying totally change Taylor's role. I think he is doing an excellent job taking away the deep middle. I am just saying we need to play him closer to the LOS more frequently. For example on 3rd and longs, we could have Prioleau take Taylor's role of covering the deep middle and have ST come up to take Washington's LB spot when Washington goes to play DE.

I, for one, trst our CBs when they are in man coverage. They suck in zone. Smoot and Rogers have publicly said that they hate zone, but both are excellent man-to-man cover guys.

Just drop it. Greg knows what he is doing!!:point2sky

If the Skins can play their base sets and still play the run effectively and have decent pass rush, Sean Taylor is gonna tear some people up this season. Having Sean Taylor play back with a pass rush is a formula for what happened to Reggie Brown Monday night. It makes the opposing team have to be patient and take what is given to them. Big plays are negated.

Even though the Colts beat the Ravens last year in the playoffs the ravens safeties were able to stay back. Peyton Manning couldn't go over the top. B-more played base sets and played the run well and pass. The Colts kicked a lot of FG's.

Archived