Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is An NFL Franchise Outside The US Possible?

Chrisbob74

Yeah, ok guys, stop laughing!

As I am sure you are all aware, the NFL will have its first ever regular season game in London this year. More games look an increased possibility. One of the NFL's leading UK journalists (Neil Reynolds) carried out an interview this week and made the following interesting comment:

Linkage

FD

We read that the NFL might be looking to get a team here within 10 years, is that realisitic?

Neil

Yeah, whenever these things have been reported, they've not been denied by the NFL. But it's all stepping stones – first they try and get a regular season game every year, then there've been reports about adding a 17th regular season game. If you do that, then you can have a four game package here in Wembley – you'd essentially be able to buy a mini-season ticket for four games. If the NFL then finds it can sell out four games in a heartbeat, then you've only got to add another four and you've got a season's worth for a team. These are exciting times and it's exciting to be part of it, and to be writing about it too!

Now, I honestly expect the majority of answers to still be along the lines of "don't be stupid" but is there anything that makes any of you think it could be possible?

Now, I honestly expect the majority of answers to still be along the lines of "don't be stupid" but is there anything that makes any of you think it could be possible?
Anything is possible, but "don't be stupid"!;)

At this time I am opposed the thoughts of adding more teams, a 17 game and of playing any games in Europe. The logistics of travel really make little sense. (They just can't seem to get by all the revenue potential).:doh:

Now your thread title questioned the possibility of an NFL franchise outside the US. I could see them attempt to create a franchise in Mexico long before Europe. At least the travel aspect would not be as difficult.

Anything is possible, the NFL has been working toward world wide football for a long time, but I seriously doubt there would be any movement other than Mexico City in the near future. The logistics are just too difficult. I could envision a NFL league in Europe playing in Europe and possibly competing in a superbowl type final against the winner of the US. The experiment with the league in Europe was a bust so I don't see it happening any time soon, but more likely US teams playing a game or two in Europe during the regular season for a while.

That would make it extremely tough for teams to have to play in London. I just don't see it happening.

I think what the NFL is doing is trying to promote the game itself, in hopes that maybe GB can form its own league at some point, with the NFL having a stake or even ownership of it.

I think we'll see a franchise in Mexico before Canada, though... just because of the CFL.

I pray that the NFL doesn't do something stupid like award a Canadian city an NFL franchise. It would fail miserably.... hemorrhage an inordinate amount of cash in the 1st few years and fold. It would be an embarassment.

I'm surprised to hear you say that... why do you think it would be that much of a failure?

Why do you think that die hard. The owner of the Blue Jays is willing to invest upwards of a billion dollars into a franchise. MLSE, one of the most profitable sports entities in the world, is also willing to partner up with him. You know, the group that owns the Maple Leafs and Raptors. They've been after the Bills for a while now and now Ralph Wilson has stated the team will be sold instead of being left to his kids. They're basically waiting for him to pass away.

As far as London getting a team, I doubt it. There's still alot of markets left in North America to tap. This game wasn't even scheduled for London, it was supposed to be for Toronto. The CFL asked them to put it off for a year because the Grey Cup is being hosted in Toronto this year at roughly the same time. They didn't want the game to take away from the Grey Cup.

I pray that the NFL doesn't do something stupid like award a Canadian city an NFL franchise. It would fail miserably.... hemorrhage an inordinate amount of cash in the 1st few years and fold. It would be an embarassment.

Agreed.

Canada is all about hockey.

We didnt support the expos, we went to the games for the cheap hot dogs and the cheaper tickets.

The only reasons we attend football games are that tickets are cheap, they're not during hockey season, and night clubs only open at 10 p.m. :laugh:

The NFL is very sucessful at keeping it within the USA, why go and screw with something that's working?

They had a team, the London Monarchs. They won the first "World League" championship but then proceded to become the worst NFLE team ever until they pulled the plug. It should be noted that the team also had pretty crappy attendance. Another UK team, the Scottish Claymores were pretty good but they too, succumbed to poor attendance figures.

A lot of scheduling issues would arrise from the long distance between America and Europe, especially if they added a European team to an American division. If they made a Euro division, they would really need to make two in order to keep the conferences ballanced. Could we really make eight European teams? There was some interest in expanding the NFLE but I doubt it. It's all terribly complicated.

I'd love to see my Sea Devils come back with a more permanent roster but not if they ever had to play against the Redskins. A seperate European league was always the best sollution and a lot of people over there are really pissed off. All the German fans who filled up stadiums for 11 games a year can't fit in one British stadium for one game with teams they don't care about.

There was talk that the owner of the Argonauts wanted to push for an NFL franchise for Toronto back when the Skydome was built in the late 80s-early 90s. Of course, that guy was busted for fraud and sentenced to 70 months in prison. That dream died quick.

Archived