Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Jaws' Corner on Jason Campbell

skinsfannyc76

Being a bit psychological here, since that is my field, Jaws is using the defense mechanism called reaction formation. He is bestowing all of his characteristics as a quarterback on to Jason. It is true that Jaws finally got the Eagles to the Super Bowl, but early on, he was a quarterback that the Redskins loved to face. You could always count on him for an interception or a stupid play. He evolved to be a Super Bowl quarterback, that lost. Let's hope that Jason matriculates much more rapidly in this offense and in playing quarterback than Jaws did. As a matter of fact, I'm counting on it.

Campbell still can be confused by the defense and has the bad habit of staring down his receivers. He also doesn't seem to understand how to manipulate the defense with his eyes like a more experienced quarterback does. Of course, this is pretty normal stuff for a quarterback still in the embryonic stage of his career.

I couldn't disagree more. The first pick was a mistake and he admitted to it. Go back and watch the film when he hit Moss on a few of the intermediate routes. He looked off the LB/safety both times, even though the one pass was too high.

I believe this was a strong point that I noticed at the end of last year and this pre-season. He did not stare down receivers which helped him keep his INTs pretty low.

People have been saying this but it is flat out not true. His accuracy is something I would assume people are most critical about and rightfully so.

This is the 2nd or third article I have seen saying that the skins have done away with the Saunders offense and returned to 80's Gibbs football. I just find it funny how the pundits can draw so many conclusions after just one game. I am absolutely sure the skins are going to mix it up as the year progresses. Sauders offense is predicated on a strong run game and establishing that early in the year will go a long way towards opening up things for Campbell as the year moves along. Saunders is too valuable and creative to just throw out his intricate and productive oofense. Todd Collins could probably answer this better than anyone else.

I feel the exact same way. Just because our running game was effective doesn't mean we went back to Joe Gibbs' predictable offense. People need to remember that Larry Johnson had 1750+ yards in 05 when Al was the playcaller. If Campbell hadn't thrown two interceptions and ended two drives, we would have had many more offensive plays. And I suspect that many of those would have been passes, thus giving us more balance in our pass to run ratio. As the season progresses and Campbell begins to play like Trent Green did in Saunders' offense, we'll see if Jaws keep reporting that we went back to a Joe Gibbs style of football. As a matter of fact, I expect Jason to come out firing on monday night, thus putting an end to these ignorant statements.

That's what stood out to me. We didn't scrap Saunders style because if we did, we wouldn't have Saunders here. Saunders offense isn't a NUMBER of passes, it's what kind of routes are run with what kind of pass protections, it's what kind of run blocking we're doing.

It is absolutely clear to me in our running game that Saunders influence is there. Anyone remember our first couple years in the running game? Jesus, the first year we ran Portis into the ground with stupid schemes trying to re-establish the LOS downfield with man blocking and then we mixed in some zone blocking in 2005 and Portis had a better year but there was still a lot of beating that Portis took and his average wasn't nearly as good as I bet it will be by the end of this year. People can attribute that high average in Denver to the system but not 5.5 to 4.0.

Also, just look at what Saunders did in KC with Priest Holmes. I don't get why people think Saunders doesn't run the ball. Maybe he's not going to use all his playbook so that Campbell can get comfortable but THIS IS a Saunders offense.

Do they really think that we scrapped Saunders playbook and just reinserted Gibbs buttonhooks-curls-outs-WR screens passing tree from 2004?

It's just idiotic.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

I couldn't have said it better myself. May god save us all the day Joe Gibbs takes back the offense.

The only problem I have with Jaws is that he's never critical... in the sense that he'll never just come out and say that ______ just is not a good football player, and will not make it in the league.

If he did that from time to time I might listen to him more when he lists positives about players... but Jaws blows sunshine towards just about every NFL QB... and we all know that only about 5-10 of them are any good.

"We have quite the NFC East tilt this week on "Monday Night Football" (ESPN, 8:30 p.m. ET). The Washington Redskins travel to face the Philadelphia Eagles in a game featuring two teams that have changed in personnel and scheme since the last time they played each other.

If someone wants an idea what Washington wants to do, they should watch a tape of the Redskins' offense from 1982. It's clear that the wide-open Al Saunders' experiment is over in Washington. The Redskins have gone back to what head coach Joe Gibbs is comfortable with: a grind-it-out Hogs' style offense from the early '80s.

That's a good thing for two reasons for the Redskins. One, it is a return to something that Gibbs is comfortable with. Two, it protects young quarterback Jason Campbell.

I'm not sure Campbell would have been able to thrive in a more wide-open passing attack because of his youth and inexperience. While he definitely has an arm that is strong enough to make every throw available to him, he still hasn't experienced enough to understand fully all the subtleties and nuances of the position.

Campbell still can be confused by the defense and has the bad habit of staring down his receivers. He also doesn't seem to understand how to manipulate the defense with his eyes like a more experienced quarterback does. Of course, this is pretty normal stuff for a quarterback still in the embryonic stage of his career.

Gibbs taking over the reins of this offense gives Campbell the opportunity to get things done without having a lot of pressure on him. The Redskins are very smart in mixing in some of Saunders' offense in obvious passing downs. In third-and-long situations, they will throw in some motion and shifts to try to create better matchups to throw defenses off.

Expect the Redskins to attack the edges of the Eagles' defense. The Eagles have good, but undersized defensive ends, while the Redskins have good tackles and an excellent blocking tight end (Chris Cooley). If the Redskins are successful in attacking the defense in this way, the Eagles will be forced to bring a safety into the box, enabling the Redskins to take some shots downfield.

On the other side of the field, the Eagles are going to spread the field as much as possible. Last week, the Packers went bump and run at least 92 percent of the time, hindering the ability of Philadelphia's receivers to get off the ball and limiting their ability to gain separation. They simply must do a better job of getting off those bumps to give quarterback Donovan McNabb the opportunity to spread the ball around. Also, spreading the field will enable McNabb to read the Redskins' coverages and attack them more efficiently. This has all the makings of a very good football game. "

rest of the article from insider

nice posts in this thread. they lead me to wonder: exactly what did JC learn during the off-season when he was the hardest working Redskin? was the focus all on his mechanics and - maybe - timing? the staring receivers down stuff is disturbing....JC is going into his 3rd year now. this is something he should have fixed. even the Boys homo knows enough not to do that.

This is the 2nd or third article I have seen saying that the skins have done away with the Saunders offense and returned to 80's Gibbs football. I just find it funny how the pundits can draw so many conclusions after just one game. I am absolutely sure the skins are going to mix it up as the year progresses. Sauders offense is predicated on a strong run game and establishing that early in the year will go a long way towards opening up things for Campbell as the year moves along. Saunders is too valuable and creative to just throw out his intricate and productive oofense. Todd Collins could probably answer this better than anyone else.
I agree. Everyone is rushing to judgement here, but there is still a lot of football left to be played. Why would any good team and intellegent coach show everything they have in week 1???

nice posts in this thread. they lead me to wonder: exactly what did JC learn during the off-season when he was the hardest working Redskin? was the focus all on his mechanics and - maybe - timing? the staring receivers down stuff is disturbing....JC is going into his 3rd year now. this is something he should have fixed. even the Boys homo knows enough not to do that.

What was that, his 8th game starting? How is that disturbing? Even Jaws said it's to be expected at this stage in his career.

He was more than likely working on reading defenses, making reads, and mechanics. Stuff like looking off receivers is only useful after you can do those things properly first.

And Romo sits to pee does telegraph his throws when he can't read the coverage...let's not omit his December of last season from the conversation.

Hey Ditka picked us and he has the best record of last weeks picks at 13-3. So we gotta win! ;)

Man did you see Ditkas picks? He has Miami over Dallas (I am picking this also the same way), Tampa over New Orleans, San Fran over the Rams (and the Rams are at home), us over Philly, and a huge suprize for me anyway Arizona over Seattle. WOW.

That's what stood out to me. We didn't scrap Saunders style because if we did, we wouldn't have Saunders here. Saunders offense isn't a NUMBER of passes, it's what kind of routes are run with what kind of pass protections, it's what kind of run blocking we're doing.

It is absolutely clear to me in our running game that Saunders influence is there. Anyone remember our first couple years in the running game? Jesus, the first year we ran Portis into the ground with stupid schemes trying to re-establish the LOS downfield with man blocking and then we mixed in some zone blocking in 2005 and Portis had a better year but there was still a lot of beating that Portis took and his average wasn't nearly as good as I bet it will be by the end of this year. People can attribute that high average in Denver to the system but not 5.5 to 4.0.

Also, just look at what Saunders did in KC with Priest Holmes. I don't get why people think Saunders doesn't run the ball. Maybe he's not going to use all his playbook so that Campbell can get comfortable but THIS IS a Saunders offense.

Do they really think that we scrapped Saunders playbook and just reinserted Gibbs buttonhooks-curls-outs-WR screens passing tree from 2004?

It's just idiotic.

We scrapped the horizontal stretching of the field for the time being, if the Dolphins game is any indication. That does two things...makes JC's reads easier...equally as important, it allows our defense rest. Saunders offense is GREAT when it's all clicking, but if not, 3 & outs like we had last year are to the detriment of the defense. Besides, Campbell isn't ready to make those kind of throws every down, as he's still working on being consistently accurate.

You look at Saunders' old teams...I don't think he's had an arm this big in quite some time to work with. KC wasn't going out and bombing with the deep ball.

I fail to see anything negative in what Jaws was saying. JC's arm would be wasted if we mirrored KC's old offense to a T.

Before going off an commenting about JC's shortcomings, I think it's important to see how he stands relative to other top QBs in the league at the same time in their career. Forget that JC is in his 3rd year, he just completed his 8th start.

8th Start for each of the following

Brady - vs DEN - 25 of 38 203yds 2TDs 4INT (game 7, 2nd year)

Roethlisberger - vs PHI - 10 of 16 - 134 yds 0TDs 1int (game 8, 1st year)

Palmer (not Jordan) - vs DAL - 21 of 32 - 212yds 1TD 0INT (game 8, 1st year)

Eli Manning - vs DAL - 18 of 27 - 144yds 3TD 1INT (game 8, 1st year) This was the last game in 2004. His opening day stats of year 2 vs. ARZ

10 of 23 - 172yds 2TD 2INT

Peyton Manning - vs NE - 30 of 52 - 278yds 2TDs 2INT (game 8, 1st year)

Rivers - vs STL - 15 of 23 - 206yds 1TD 0INT (game 7, 3rd year)

Brees - vs OAK - 16 of 25 - 170yds 2TD 0INT (game 7, 2nd year)

Outside of Peyton's astronomical 52 attempts (where he also had 2 INTS), JC falls in with the rest of these guys. Look at Eli's 1st opening day start in year 2. Looks like the same nervousness that JC experienced in FedEx vs. Miami.

What doesa all of this mean?

1. That the coaches of all of these guys needed to "manage" their game and keep them around 25 passes.

2. JC fits in, statistically, with all of these guys at this point in his career.

Don't know about the Jaws comment about 'staring down the receiver' but from the looks of the data Brady (4INT), Eli (1INT) & Peyton (2INT) all seemed to suffer from the same problem in game 8 of their respective careers.

httr

Jaws is wrong.

f_campbelleyem_7cf8ef1.gif

If the embedded link goes down, here's an external link

http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/9/9/14/f_campbelleyem_7cf8ef1.gif&srv=img34

:laugh: That's

1Play.

On a whole, he doesn't do it as well as starting QBs that have years of experience under their belt.

Mind you, that 1 play didn't have a blitz and playactions are designed to freeze safeties.

When posters here start screaming/whining about Jaws knowing nothing, it really detracts from any legitimate grievances we Skins fans hold against people like Dr. Z or Pastabelly. Jaws is perhaps the best analyst out there, and his observations about Campbell are spot on. This was a fair assessment- Deal with it.

:laugh: That's

1Play.

On a whole, he doesn't do it as well as starting QBs that have years of experience under their belt.

Mind you, that 1 play didn't have a blitz and playactions are designed to freeze safeties.

That is evidence that Campbell does seem to understand how to manipulate the defense with his eyes. Jaws is wrong on that point. Whether Campbell does it consistently is not what Jaws argued, and is not what I'm arguing. Campbell has shown he knows how to freeze safeties, at least on fades and fly routes; but again, that's not what Jaws said - he said "He also doesn't seem to understand how to manipulate the defense with his eyes like a more experienced quarterback does."

There's evidence that he does. I am not going to argue with Jaws' other points, because I believe those to be more valid.

When posters here start screaming/whining about Jaws knowing nothing, it really detracts from any legitimate grievances we Skins fans hold against people like Dr. Z or Pastabelly. Jaws is perhaps the best analyst out there, and his observations about Campbell are spot on. This was a fair assessment- Deal with it.

They weren't spot-on. I think they were generally right, but Jaws overstated the case as to Campbell not being able to use his eyes to manipulate a defense.

Also, Jaws isn't infallible. Do we need to break out the footage of why Jaws thought Spurrier's offense would be a success in the NFL?

Gotta respect the hell out of Jaws. Says it like it is. One of the ONLY analyst's who actually study film and have a clue what they are talking about.

I have to agree with you. Even though he's an Eaglit he doesn't show to much homerism. He actually calls it like he sees it. Unlike the rest of ESPN they call it like they are told 2 see it.

Also, Jaws isn't infallible. Do we need to break out the footage of why Jaws thought Spurrier's offense would be a success in the NFL?

Spurrier's offense could have worked if he learned that you have to block for QB and have to be able to run the ball. Spurrier was to stubborn to try it that way. Then he just quit, had he not been so damn stubborn he might have been a good coach in the NFL.

Archived