Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Jaws' Corner on Jason Campbell

skinsfannyc76

Sounds fair enough to me. Honest and seemingly not skewed too much.

Off topic: Everyone but one picked the Pats over the Bolts. Anyone else think that is bizarre? I'll put my money on the Chargers, given all the distractions the Pats have had this week.

I'll still go with NE (they probably already have film of the SD defensive signals :laugh: )

That is evidence that Campbell does seem to understand how to manipulate the defense with his eyes. Jaws is wrong on that point. Whether Campbell does it consistently is not what Jaws argued, and is not what I'm arguing. Campbell has shown he knows how to freeze safeties, at least on fades and fly routes; but again, that's not what Jaws said - he said "He also doesn't seem to understand how to manipulate the defense with his eyes like a more experienced quarterback does."

There's evidence that he does. I am not going to argue with Jaws' other points, because I believe those to be more valid.

They weren't spot-on. I think they were generally right, but Jaws overstated the case as to Campbell not being able to use his eyes to manipulate a defense.

Also, Jaws isn't infallible. Do we need to break out the footage of why Jaws thought Spurrier's offense would be a success in the NFL?

A playaction draws the safeties up at the threat of a run. It could've at least been a better example, where he took a 7 step drop, with safeties already deep and froze them with his eyes. That's not what that was. Dawkins could've easily been sucked in the playaction...

On a whole, JC telegraphs his throws because he isn't fluid at reading defenses yet. Understanding 'how' to manipulate a defense with your eyes isn't the same as it being 2nd nature, like it is for the currently elite QBs. It definitely isn't something he's going to get overnight, or even in one offseason...especially when he had to work on other things, such as accuracy, decision-making, pre-snap reads, mechanics, etc.

Jaws' opinion holds weight. He spends extensive time analyzing coach's films.

Can you honestly say that everytime JC's thrown to fade & fly routes, that his eyes were the reason it was a 1-on-1 coverage? Peyton Manning can't even make that claim.

This is the 2nd or third article I have seen saying that the skins have done away with the Saunders offense and returned to 80's Gibbs football. I just find it funny how the pundits can draw so many conclusions after just one game. I am absolutely sure the skins are going to mix it up as the year progresses. Sauders offense is predicated on a strong run game and establishing that early in the year will go a long way towards opening up things for Campbell as the year moves along. Saunders is too valuable and creative to just throw out his intricate and productive oofense. Todd Collins could probably answer this better than anyone else.

Exactly! And Jaws should know better than to draw sweeping conclusions after just one game. No matter what your "complete offense" is, you need to get the basic building blocks down first. And for us, with a young QB, its run run run. Then mix in the play action. And by mid season, we'll be more wide open (if all goes according to plan).

When posters here start screaming/whining about Jaws knowing nothing, it really detracts from any legitimate grievances we Skins fans hold against people like Dr. Z or Pastabelly. Jaws is perhaps the best analyst out there, and his observations about Campbell are spot on. This was a fair assessment- Deal with it.

you and i are on the same page about dr z and pastabelly but i dont really think that jaws is all that. he does know his football to a point but he seems to just go alot of the times on what he has seen in the past and not what could happen this upcoming matchup. mcnabb is hurt, the D is hurting for the iggles and we still have NO shot.

sure campbell is young, but he showed last game that he has touch on that long ball and he has the smarts to pick up the offense. that was just outright bashing in my opinion..

A playaction draws the safeties up at the threat of a run. It could've at least been a better example, where he took a 7 step drop, with safeties already deep and froze them with his eyes. That's not what that was. Dawkins could've easily been sucked in the playaction...

But he wasn't. He was in the deep middle. If he was sucked in by play-action he wouldn't have even been in the screen with ARE at the end. That's why Campbell needed to keep his eyes on him in the deep middle to give ARE a chance of a 1-on-1.

On a whole, JC telegraphs his throws because he isn't fluid at reading defenses yet. Understanding 'how' to manipulate a defense with your eyes isn't the same as it being 2nd nature, like it is for the currently elite QBs. It definitely isn't something he's going to get overnight, or even in one offseason...especially when he had to work on other things, such as accuracy, decision-making, pre-snap reads, mechanics, etc.

I don't disagree with you, but you're expanding Jaws' argument from "not understanding how" to "being second nature". Jaws' claim was one of lack of understanding that would be evident in all circumstances, your claim is one of proficiency that while he may do it, he doesn't do it consistently enough like elite QBs. Those are different arguments altogether.

Jaws' opinion holds weight. He spends extensive time analyzing coach's films.

Can you honestly say that everytime JC's thrown to fade & fly routes, that his eyes were the reason it was a 1-on-1 coverage? Peyton Manning can't even make that claim.

Why are you building strawmen?

No one is arguing Jaws' opinion doesn't hold weight. I think that's been summarily agreed to by the folks in this thread.

Who is saying that everytimg JC throws a fade or fly his eyes are the reason it was 1-on-1? Nobody. I implied that I've seen him do such a tactic on a number of fades and fly routes during his collegiate and pro career, but nobody is arguing he's a stud at using his eyes yet. I'm only arguing that he can and has done it, versus Jaws saying he doesn't understand how.

If you want to find someone to argue with that Campbell, while he may do it, doesn't do it enough like the elite QBs, it won't be me, because I'm not disagreeing with that.

But he wasn't. He was in the deep middle. If he was sucked in by play-action he wouldn't have even been in the screen with ARE at the end. That's why Campbell needed to keep his eyes on him in the deep middle to give ARE a chance of a 1-on-1.

How many times did S. Taylor get sucked in a PA last year to fly in either too late, or actually make a play on the ball? Quite honestly, B. Dawkins is a better FS than Taylor....he's just beastly in the Eagles secondary.

I don't disagree with you, but you're expanding Jaws' argument from "not understanding how" to "being second nature". Jaws' claim was one of lack of understanding that would be evident in all circumstances, your claim is one of proficiency that while he may do it, he doesn't do it consistently enough like elite QBs. Those are different arguments altogether.

Why are you building strawmen?

No one is arguing Jaws' opinion doesn't hold weight. I think that's been summarily agreed to by the folks in this thread.

Who is saying that everytimg JC throws a fade or fly his eyes are the reason it was 1-on-1? Nobody. I implied that I've seen him do such a tactic on a number of fades and fly routes during his collegiate and pro career, but nobody is arguing he's a stud at using his eyes yet. I'm only arguing that he can and has done it, versus Jaws saying he doesn't understand how.

Staring down receivers is something seasoned veterans don't do. I read it as 'understanding' meaning 'doing consistently' or 'being 2nd nature'. We all understand the concept of looking off coverage, I'm sure Jason does too. Doing it with pressure in your face, or when you're still getting a feel for gamespeed & your accuracy is another whole monster.

If you want to find someone to argue with that Campbell, while he may do it, doesn't do it enough like the elite QBs, it won't be me, because I'm not disagreeing with that.
...he still hasn't experienced enough to fully understand all the subtleties and nuances of the position.

Campbell still can be confused by the defense and has the bad habit of staring down his receivers. He also doesn't seem to understand how to manipulate the defense with his eyes like a more experienced quarterback does. Of course, this is pretty normal stuff for a quarterback still in the embryonic stage of his career.

To me the qualifier 'like a more experienced QB' tells me that he isn't saying it's a problem JC was born with, or one that he can never fix. You can't fake, or accelerate experience. He isn't even inferring that he does it better or worse than any other QB at the early stages of their career. He compared Campbell's skillset to starting NFL QBs of all experiences. As of right now, JC locks on his targets too much...how much of that is him making reads, waiting on plays to develop, etc, we can't really say.

Just because Campbell looked off his receivers (to me that clip was 'selling the playaction') in that example doesn't mean that he's seasoned at doingso. There have been plays where it was noticeable that he did it, & also plays where his target was 1-on-1 in coverage, by design or mistake.

Just because Campbell looked off his receivers (to me that clip was 'selling the playaction') in that example doesn't mean that he's seasoned at doingso. There have been plays where it was noticeable that he did it, & also plays where his target was 1-on-1 in coverage, by design or mistake.

Well I guess we'll agree that we're seeing something different in that clip.

I see Campbell in the ready-to-throw position, eyes locked on Dawkins who is in deep centerfield since he didn't bite on play-action. Campbell's eyes keep Dawkins from making a play on ARE.

I don't see Campbell selling out on the play-action, with the ball on his hip, standing upright and looking at the runner. The playaction fake was only a nominal one. It certainly wasn't enough to fool a FS as good as Dawkins. So why did Dawkins, who was defending deep center not make a play on ARE? He was frozen by Campbell's eye action.

An easy way to tell is that Dawkins has enough depth to make a play, but he can't get wide enough. This means he wasn't sucked up by the play-action, but he was frozen by Campbell's head action.

Again, nobody is saying Campbell is where he needs to be. But this is an example that he at least has the tools to get there.

Archived