Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Jaws' Corner on Jason Campbell

skinsfannyc76

Jaws offers us some "insight" into JC and our offense. Also, Joe Theismann has a blurb on our MNF game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/notebook?page=sundaycountdown07

If someone wants an idea what Washington wants to do, they should watch a tape of the Redskins' offense from 1982. It's clear that the wide-open Al Saunders experiment is over in Washington. The Redskins have gone back to what head coach Joe Gibbs is comfortable with: a grind-it-out Hogs' style offense from the early '80s.

That's a good thing for two reasons for the Redskins, who play the Eagles on "Monday Night Football" this week. One, it is a return to something that Gibbs is comfortable with. Two, it protects young quarterback Jason Campbell. 8440.jpgCampbell

I'm not sure Campbell would have been able to thrive in a more wide-open passing attack because of his youth and inexperience. While he definitely has an arm that is strong enough to make every throw available to him, he still hasn't experienced enough to fully understand all the subtleties and nuances of the position.

Campbell still can be confused by the defense and has the bad habit of staring down his receivers. He also doesn't seem to understand how to manipulate the defense with his eyes like a more experienced quarterback does. Of course, this is pretty normal stuff for a quarterback still in the embryonic stage of his career.

So Ditka was the only one who picked us to win this week. I'm actually quite happy about that. I hope that we remain the dark horse all season long.

Joe Theismann did too..

Washington at Philadelphia:

I like the Redskins in this one because defensively they can make some plays, while the Eagles' defense isn't as good as it used to be.

;)

Sounds fair enough to me. Honest and seemingly not skewed too much.

Off topic: Everyone but one picked the Pats over the Bolts. Anyone else think that is bizarre? I'll put my money on the Chargers, given all the distractions the Pats have had this week.

This is the 2nd or third article I have seen saying that the skins have done away with the Saunders offense and returned to 80's Gibbs football. I just find it funny how the pundits can draw so many conclusions after just one game. I am absolutely sure the skins are going to mix it up as the year progresses. Sauders offense is predicated on a strong run game and establishing that early in the year will go a long way towards opening up things for Campbell as the year moves along. Saunders is too valuable and creative to just throw out his intricate and productive oofense. Todd Collins could probably answer this better than anyone else.

This is the 2nd or third article I have seen saying that the skins have done away with the Saunders offense and returned to 80's Gibbs football. I just find it funny how the pundits can draw so many conclusions after just one game. I am absolutely sure the skins are going to mix it up as the year progresses. Sauders offense is predicated on a strong run game and establishing that early in the year will go a long way towards opening up things for Campbell as the year moves along. Saunders is too valuable and creative to just throw out his intricate and productive offense.

That's what stood out to me. We didn't scrap Saunders style because if we did, we wouldn't have Saunders here. Saunders offense isn't a NUMBER of passes, it's what kind of routes are run with what kind of pass protections, it's what kind of run blocking we're doing.

It is absolutely clear to me in our running game that Saunders influence is there. Anyone remember our first couple years in the running game? Jesus, the first year we ran Portis into the ground with stupid schemes trying to re-establish the LOS downfield with man blocking and then we mixed in some zone blocking in 2005 and Portis had a better year but there was still a lot of beating that Portis took and his average wasn't nearly as good as I bet it will be by the end of this year. People can attribute that high average in Denver to the system but not 5.5 to 4.0.

Also, just look at what Saunders did in KC with Priest Holmes. I don't get why people think Saunders doesn't run the ball. Maybe he's not going to use all his playbook so that Campbell can get comfortable but THIS IS a Saunders offense.

Do they really think that we scrapped Saunders playbook and just reinserted Gibbs buttonhooks-curls-outs-WR screens passing tree from 2004?

It's just idiotic.

Everyone expected us to run a lot this season w/ a young QB. So when we start the season w/ a run first style, they think we're rid of our Off. Coordinator's philosophy? I think our offense will evolve into a more pass orientated style, once JC is more familiar w/ reading coverages, and improves his timing. Maybe we should hire someone to videotape our opponents defensive signals to bring JC along quicker. ;)

Sounds fair enough to me. Honest and seemingly not skewed too much.

Off topic: Everyone but one picked the Pats over the Bolts. Anyone else think that is bizarre? I'll put my money on the Chargers, given all the distractions the Pats have had this week.

I agree fair assessment.

I don't know if I'd put money on it, but I'd love to see SD come in there and kick some ass. If this cheating stuff is true I hope every team goes a little harder to make them earn it.

Everyone expected us to run a lot this season w/ a young QB. So when we start the season w/ a run first style, they think we're rid of our Off. Coordinator's philosophy? I think our offense will evolve into a more pass orientated style, once JC is more familiar w/ reading coverages, and improves his timing. Maybe we should hire someone to videotape our opponents defensive signals to bring JC along quicker. ;)

at least we'd get a better return on our draft picks:laugh::laugh:

edit: as opposed to the traded ones, not players drafted

That's what stood out to me. We didn't scrap Saunders style because if we did, we wouldn't have Saunders here. Saunders offense isn't a NUMBER of passes, it's what kind of routes are run with what kind of pass protections, it's what kind of run blocking we're doing.

It is absolutely clear to me in our running game that Saunders influence is there. Anyone remember our first couple years in the running game? Jesus, the first year we ran Portis into the ground with stupid schemes trying to re-establish the LOS downfield with man blocking and then we mixed in some zone blocking in 2005 and Portis had a better year but there was still a lot of beating that Portis took and his average wasn't nearly as good as I bet it will be by the end of this year. People can attribute that high average in Denver to the system but not 5.5 to 4.0.

Also, just look at what Saunders did in KC with Priest Holmes. I don't get why people think Saunders doesn't run the ball. Maybe he's not going to use all his playbook so that Campbell can get comfortable but THIS IS a Saunders offense.

Do they really think that we scrapped Saunders playbook and just reinserted Gibbs buttonhooks-curls-outs-WR screens passing tree from 2004?

It's just idiotic.

So true.

Archived