Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SLAM! Sports: Top 10 worst team names

RIDETHEWALRUS

Top 10 worst team names

... because marketing departments like a challenge By SUN MEDIA

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Top10/2007/06/24/4484774-sun.html

3. Houston Texans

The laziest team nickname since the Shelbyville Shelbyvillians on The Simpsons. If they had spent an extra 30 seconds thinking about it, they might've come up with something better ... like Tigers.

2. Butte Pirates

It must have been a far simpler time when the people of Butte County, Idaho, decided to name their high school sports teams the Pirates. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

1. Washington Redskins

Unlike the Cleveland Indians or Atlanta Braves, for instance, there's no way you can explain away this nickname as a tribute to First Nations people. It's nothing but a flat-out racial slur. Completely indefensible.

It is funny how all the outrage at our name and logo comes from people who are not Native American or from the DC area (except a few flaming hippy liberals):doh::doh::doh:

And who names a team the Butte Pirates???:laugh::laugh::laugh:

It is pretty bad. This team has some pretty sucky history when it comes to race and culture, as did most of the country. They had this same discussion on the Dan Patrick show in the off season wick Keith Oberman. They tried to justify some other team names, mostly native american related, but couldn't jusify the skins.

Just to educate you guys on the actual origin of the name, it started as the Boston Redskins. Named after the white guys who dressed as Native Americans and threw that tea into the Boston Harbor during the "Boston Tea Party" in 1773, protesting the Kings taxes. You can find more information about the Boston Tea Party at your local library.

isnt' there a high school in like the dakota's from the city of "hell" nicknamed the "devils"?

i'm not sure if that is bad or good. peronsonally, i think it's hillarious, but also very unoriginal.

i saw that on real sports or something like that. there is and they make fun of it whenever they can.

there is a place in northern california called Weed. whenever we used to play them at football our cheerleaders always would make one sign "smoke weed". it would never get put up, but every year without fail..

If they want insensitive, we can go back to the original words of Hail to the Redskins.

If anybody has them, feel free to post but it was pretty bad,

Something like... "scalp 'em" and "we want heep more" broken english that made it sound like the indians from F-Troop were singing it.

If they want insensitive, we can go back to the original words of Hail to the Redskins.

If anybody has them, feel free to post but it was pretty bad,

Something like... "scalp 'em" and "we want heep more" broken english that made it sound like the indians from F-Troop were singing it.

yeah and it was fight for ol dixie and not DC. now THATS racist for ya..

I like the team name, and could never imagine changing it, but I mean, it does seem pretty offensive. Not to worry, I'm not joining the picket lines anytime soon. I imagine that it will eventually be changed. There will eventually be enough of an uproar, or we'll get an owner who is more liberal and socially conscious, not to mention doesn't mind killing his brand recognition.

Just go back a few years in the very city, when Abe Pollin changed the name of the basketball team from Bullets because of the high murder rate in the district. Sure, there was an uproar, and now everyone calls them the Wizards without thinking twice.

Eventually, we'll have an Abe Pollin type owner for the Skins who will do the same. Everyone will be pissed off about it, but after a few years, will accept the new name. I hope this doesn't happen for a long time, but I'm also not Native American and not personally injured by the name.

The question is, what would they change it to. As far as I'm concerned, just dropping "red" and calling them the Skins would be best. Hell, that's how a lot of folks refer to them in short anyway. I would be sad to lose our logo though.:logo:

Just to educate you guys on the actual origin of the name, it started as the Boston Redskins. Named after the white guys who dressed as Native Americans and threw that tea into the Boston Harbor during the "Boston Tea Party" in 1773, protesting the Kings taxes. You can find more information about the Boston Tea Party at your local library.

Are you sure about your info here????

Read this:

I think that it is well established that redskin is taken by most people today to be disparaging. What is more interesting is whether it has always been so, as Harjo et al., as well as various others, claim. One interesting piece of evidence is the origin of the name Washington Redskins. In 1933, George Preston Marshall, the owner of the team, which was then located in Boston, renamed it the Boston Redskins in honor of the head coach, William "Lone Star" Dietz, an American Indian.³ When the team moved to Washington in 1937 it was renamed the Washington Redskins. George Marshall clearly did not consider the name disparaging.

Full Article:

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/002961.html

Archived