Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Philly Sportswriter speaks about how good the Redskins Defense is this year

NFLAnalyzer

Going to be a great game for sure. Could go either way, but the bets are probably on the Eagles. Skins in Philly on Monday night just doesnt make for a good equation. But thats why they play the games because you never know. Stopping Westbrook is a must and we have to be able to run the ball, no question.

Skins in Philly on Monday night just doesnt make for a good equation. But thats why they play the games because you never know. Stopping Westbrook is a must and we have to be able to run the ball, no question.

Gibbs on Monday night in general is not good.

Skins in Philly in general is not good.

Combine the two...and oh boy. I am very worried about Campbell here. I don't see him having a very good game.

Portis and Betts should get some room to run, but I don't see a happy outcome for the Skins.

This guy doesn't seem to impressed with his hometown Eagles does he. He said it wasn't the Eagles special teams or defense that lost the game but the Offense. Here is the quote:

"It's the Eagles' offense, which stumbled through the Packers game like Lindsay Lohan on one of her bar-hopping excursions."

Now that is funny right there. He also gives props to Dan Snyder even if it isn't the best of comments. Here is the quote:

"The Redskins didn't have a lot of salary-cap space this year. So big-spending owner Dan Snyder and the rest of the D.C. Gang That Can't Scout Straight had to pick their spots. For once, they made some pretty smart decisions."

I don't agree the Can't Scout Straight part but it was good to see someone outside DC giving us some credit. He also gives credit to our Safeties. Here is the quote:

"Landry is regarded as the best safety to enter the NFL since, well, since the Redskins' other starting safety, Sean Taylor, came out in 2004. At strong

safety, Landry replaces Adam Archuleta, to whom Snyder gave a free-agent fortune last year only to discover he fit Williams' scheme like Queen Latifah fits a size-4 dress."

That is pretty high praise and I agree with the analysis of AA. That quote is comical. He also noticed what we did against the Dolphins and that is a good sign for things to come. Here is the quote:

"Against Miami, Williams had his defense play a lot of Cover-3, splitting the field with Rogers, Smoot and Taylor, and using Landry down in the box quite a bit in run support. The Redskins, who allowed 137.3 rushing yards per game and 4.5 yards per carry last season, held the Dolphins to just 66 yards on 20 carries."

The defense did that against a mediocre Dolphins team but did look reallt good that game. The Eagles are in for a tough Monday night game IMO.

Finally someone is giving our D some respect. You should hear them down here in Miami. Its ridiculous! Dan Le Baturd on 790 The Ticket keeps on saying that the Dolphins lost to a D from a 5-11 team from the year before to explain their rushing performance. Anybody that tries to assess this Redskins' team by citing last years record and not acknowledging this year's 5 new starters doesn't know what the F their talking about. By week 5, everyone will be saying "Wow, the Redskins' D is good, who knew?" WE DID!!!!!!! HTTR!:helmet:

after one game, the philly run D is #1- 2.7 yards per carry. not sure how much that means, but its interesting.

Doesn't mean much to me seeing that the Packers ran 16 times all game, and have a rookie RB. The Eagles D have a much tougher assignment stopping CP and Betts, and we will not abandon the run.

after one game, the philly run D is #1- 2.7 yards per carry. not sure how much that means, but its interesting.

Green Bay isn't exactly stacked at rb, or have a good passing game to help out either. A pretty good Philly D combined with a terrible offense will probably result in that. If they are still #1 after monday night then they will have something to brag about

Donovan is not 100%. I dont care what you say, it takes a full year on top of recovery time to become your old self again after tearing an acl. While Im sure he will play well, I dont expect to see him out there making all kinds of crazy, did you see that, type of plays. He can beat us with his arm, but hes not a top 5 qb right now. Hes going to need more time.

The Skins can and should win this game...but who the hell knows if we will.

Carson Palmer shredded his knee up and came back and did pretty well the next season. I don't think we should underestimate what McNabb is capable of.

Philly's offense will undoubtedly be better than Miami's. Unfortunately, I don't expect Campbell to fair so well in a hostile Eagles' stadium. I have a sneaking suspicion we will have multiple false starts, and multiple delay of game penalties. I don't care how we walk out of this game, if we win, even if it is the ugliest game I've ever seen, I'll be happy.

Very well said sir.

Your kidding right? Either that or you're just not very smart.

I believe GB defense is overall a better unit that Skins. My opinion. And, obviously a result of me not being very smart. Talent wise, skins have more talent at LB and Safety, but I think don't come close to comparing to GB at DL or CB, especially if Smoot is starting over Springs.

Thanks for the insightful, intellectual dialogue though. :D

It's a division game, throw all the stats out of the window. The Eagles fans are going to be fired up for their home opener and McNabb usually has something special in store for division games.

I wouldn't use the Eagles opener against the Packers as an indicator, espescially not considering how they've fumbled the game away all while not giving the Packers much of any breathing room.

That said, we may be in pretty good shape offensively considering their inexperience at LB and their banged up secondary.

The jury is still out on the Eagles front four. We actually have a running game the Eagles will have to respect and played pretty well in pass protection against a unit that's considerably better than the Eagles.

Shepherd will be out and his backup Hanson left the Packers game with a concussion. Add to that Considine spraining his knee and our passing game could be in good shape, espescially if Cooley manages to be effective.

It's a division game, throw all the stats out of the window. The Eagles fans are going to be fired up for their home opener and McNabb usually has something special in store for division games.

You are absoluely right. And most always they involve him taking off and running with the ball. A couple of times he did that and it included him doing some silly dance in the endzone. :doh:

I am envisioning him dropping back for a pass, pulling the ball down to run, scampering off in a diagnal line towards the sideline to pick up a first down and suddenly, BANG...London Fletcher comes out of no where and knocks every buckle on McNabb's body loose.

It's the little things in life. :)

There were plenty of gaps in the middle of the field Sunday because of that wretched Cover 2 we are still running.

The Eagles will throw on us early and often. They will test Landry's coverage skills.

I don't expect this to be his best game, but it'll be a learning experience.

We don't run Cover 2 anymore. It was Cover 3 and Cover 1. It's no secret Philly will throw. That's just Reid being Reid.

JC and our offense is one thing I am not worried about. The Beagles D is not were near as good as Miami's. Now way no how. Who are their linebackers again? Other than Dawkings with Lito out tell me who is back there defending the pass? I don't know but I just think we match up so well against the Beagles on offense. Now D is another matter. Springs MUST play every down, and we must stop Westbrook. Other than that no one scares me on their offense side either.

Westbrook has had good games against us, but the one I'm scared of is Reggie Brown. Dude has owned us for 2 years. He always has 100 yards and 2 scores against us. Sometimes a player has another team's number.

Not sure if it's a good barometer as Green Bay has had no running game in 2 years and they were starting a rookie. The same might be said for our run defense against the Phins bad line, but we've been doing it all preseason also.

Archived