Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

About that late 'false start' penalty on Yoder

Ghost of

I'll have to watch it again, but on the replay, Yoder was already moving when Sellers also moves. I think that's what we were called on.

We won, so I not gonna gripe too much.

Pete,

I know we won but I felt like we had a decent game from the refs until we hit crunch time.

If the call was on an illlegal motion, they would have called it illegal motion.

Instead they called it false start on Yoder for "abrupt movement."

Basically, it was a CYA for refs because they decided they didn't want to call a penalty on the Dolphins for encroachment.

It's real simple, illegal motion happens all the time. If that's what it was, they would have called it that.

the grounding was a legitimate call, there was NO ONE in the area

No, because one of the necessities for it to be intentional grounding is the QB has to be under pressure. No one was within 5 yards of him. That was a blown call in our favor.

(This is why spiking the ball is legal).

Bad call! So was the uncatchable PI call in the 4th quarter against the Skins.

The PI call was the worst of the game. First, that wasn't interference. Rogers didn't pull down, the receiver was actually using his arms to not let Rogers run past him. Second, the contact was at the 10, and the ball his 7 yards deep in the endzone. There was no way that ball was being caught. A bad call all around.

Thankfully, the Phins imploded and didn't get a TD.

I went to the NFL's website to lookup the rule. The explanation the Ref gave was correct. It is a judgement call, and I think he made the wrong judgement, but he did have the right call if that is what they thought happened.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/positionofplayers

Position of Players at Snap

Offensive team must have at least seven players on line.

Offensive players, not on line, must be at least one yard back at snap.

(Exception: player who takes snap.)

No interior lineman may move abruptly after taking or simulating a three-point stance.

No player of either team may enter neutral zone before snap.

No player of offensive team may charge or move abruptly, after assuming set position, in such manner as to lead defense to believe snap has started. No player of the defensive team within one yard of the line of scrimmage may make an abrupt movement in an attempt to cause the offense to false start.

If a player changes his eligibility, the Referee must alert the defensive captain after player has reported to him.

All players of offensive team must be stationary at snap, except one back who may be in motion parallel to scrimmage line or backward (not forward).

After a shift or huddle all players on offensive team must come to an absolute stop for at least one second with no movement of hands, feet, head, or swaying of body.

Quarterbacks can be called for a false start penalty (five yards) if their actions are judged to be an obvious attempt to draw an opponent offside.

Offensive linemen are permitted to interlock legs.

There are a few, including Dierdorf, who seem to have some type of tunnel vision when it comes to this play.

Yoder goes in motion, there was NO FLAG. Then Taylor or some other Dolphin jumps ACROSS the line (not just in the neutral zone, which would be allowed so long as he got back) and makes contact with the offensive line. At THIS point Sellers moves and they throw a flag.

This was a bad call. It was NOT a legitimate call. It's like throwing a flag on the offensive players when a defensive guy jumps across the line, touched the QB. It is irrelevant what happens when the defense commits a DEAD BALL FOUL (which encroachment is, play cannot continue.)

If the call was for Sellers' motion, it would have been called illegal motion.

None of you who defended the call remember that atrocious call that cost us the Green Bay game in 2004?

I was listening to Gibbs press conf. after and he said they went over this play with the Zebras before the game. the play is designed to draw the d offsides.

I thought there was some bad calls in this one. but well take the w

I went to the NFL's website to lookup the rule. The explanation the Ref gave was correct. It is a judgement call, and I think he made the wrong judgement, but he did have the right call if that is what they thought happened.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/positionofplayers

Position of Players at Snap

Offensive team must have at least seven players on line.

Offensive players, not on line, must be at least one yard back at snap.

(Exception: player who takes snap.)

No player of offensive team may charge or move abruptly, after assuming set position, in such manner as to lead defense to believe snap has started. No player of the defensive team within one yard of the line of scrimmage may make an abrupt movement in an attempt to cause the offense to false start.

But he didn't move abruptly, he went in motion and the miami player jumped.

The ref said "abrupt" movement as the violation not any kind of illegal motion. He was refering to Yoder and not Sellers. The ref was calling it for what it was an attempt by the skins to pull them offside. I don't like it or agree with it, but that was the call.

I do stand by what I said because all the apologists for the call mentioned Sellers NOT the movement of Yoder.

But for me, I didn't think Yoder moved 'abruptly' at all and if they're going to do that, they can call that on just about every motion. Dolphins got bailed out on that one and the refs decided to punish the Redskins (via officiating lol) for trying to get the officials to give them an edge by possibly calling offsides/encroachment.

Yeah that was a shameful display by those referees. Nobody on our team MOVED FORWARD. So in that case the only thing you can call is illegal motion, but motioning two players at a time is illegal. Id say that was a royal screw up, but the call on the next drive was worse.

Not only did Rogers NOT commit pass interference, it was 10 yards overthrown, and the refs NEVER discussed that? WTH

There are a few, including Dierdorf, who seem to have some type of tunnel vision when it comes to this play.

Yoder goes in motion, there was NO FLAG. Then Taylor or some other Dolphin jumps ACROSS the line (not just in the neutral zone, which would be allowed so long as he got back) and makes contact with the offensive line. At THIS point Sellers moves and they throw a flag.

This was a bad call. It was NOT a legitimate call. It's like throwing a flag on the offensive players when a defensive guy jumps across the line, touched the QB. It is irrelevant what happens when the defense commits a DEAD BALL FOUL (which encroachment is, play cannot continue.)

If the call was for Sellers' motion, it would have been called illegal motion.

None of you who defended the call remember that atrocious call that cost us the Green Bay game in 2004?

Exactly, if i was on here earlier i would have written the exact same.

Sorry but Sellars and Yoder both moved... Our bad.

Sellers moved after Taylor moved, yes Toder was still moving but taylor had already come across, so his movement doesnt matter. Period

Archived