Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

About that late 'false start' penalty on Yoder

Ghost of

There are a few, including Dierdorf, who seem to have some type of tunnel vision when it comes to this play.

Yoder goes in motion, there was NO FLAG. Then Taylor or some other Dolphin jumps ACROSS the line (not just in the neutral zone, which would be allowed so long as he got back) and makes contact with the offensive line. At THIS point Sellers moves and they throw a flag.

This was a bad call. It was NOT a legitimate call. It's like throwing a flag on the offensive players when a defensive guy jumps across the line, touched the QB. It is irrelevant what happens when the defense commits a DEAD BALL FOUL (which encroachment is, play cannot continue.)

If the call was for Sellers' motion, it would have been called illegal motion.

None of you who defended the call remember that atrocious call that cost us the Green Bay game in 2004?

There are a few, including Dierdorf, who seem to have some type of tunnel vision when it comes to this play.

Yoder goes in motion, there was NO FLAG. Then Taylor or some other Dolphin jumps ACROSS the line (not just in the neutral zone, which would be allowed so long as he got back) and makes contact with the offensive line. At THIS point Sellers moves and they throw a flag.

This was a bad call. It was NOT a legitimate call. It's like throwing a flag on the offensive players when a defensive guy jumps across the line, touched the QB. It is irrelevant what happens when the defense commits a DEAD BALL FOUL (which encroachment is, play cannot continue.)

If the call was for Sellers' motion, it would have been called illegal motion.

None of you who defended the call remember that atrocious call that cost us the Green Bay game in 2004?

We definitely need some Zebras that know what they are doing; thanks for the explination :applause: :cheers: :point2sky

Sorry but Sellars and Yoder both moved... Our bad.

Thanks for not reading. Sellers moved AFTER the Dolphin defender committed encroachment. It's like any dead ball play, you don't go calling plays on defenders for being offsides after a guy false starts.

The call was made on Yoder. ON YODER. If it was a motion call it would have been called on SELLERS (second one moving) for ILLEGAL MOTION.

:doh:

I agree as you stated the play. I'm not sure if Taylor came across BEFORE Sellars moved. That's my only question. I have to go back and watch the play again.

Potato Sack said he TIVOd it and that the defender was across and contacting the offensive line before Sellers moved.

The fact is, it never should have come to Sellers. The Dolphin defender was moving so fast, they usually call the penalty and stop it before the QB gets leveled on encroachment.

it was obvious by design that the play was to draw the defense offsides, but he did not flinch or move forward. what a crock that he went in motion to abruptly...... i think they (the refs) make ***** up as they go along. I would love to see the rule that covers that call

That was a horrible call. That play is designed to get the D to jump so it's obviously legal motion. That's all that needs to be said about that.

The refs were bad (both ways) today.

They screwed us a couple times and also screwed the Dolphins a few times too (off the top of my head, the intentional grounding call vs. Green was bad...the TE was out for a screen pass).

I'll have to watch it again, but on the replay, Yoder was already moving when Sellers also moves. I think that's what we were called on.

We won, so I not gonna gripe too much.

Thats what I saw, and seeing the replay I didn't see Taylor anywhere nearly as bad as some of you guys. And believe me I pissed and moaned enough...

That was a horrible call. That play is designed to get the D to jump so it's obviously legal motion. That's all that needs to be said about that.

The refs were bad (both ways) today.

They screwed us a couple times and also screwed the Dolphins a few times too (off the top of my head, the intentional grounding call vs. Green was bad...the TE was out for a screen pass).

the grounding was a legitimate call, there was NO ONE in the area

It doesn't matter how many guys were moving if the ball wasn't snapped. You also have 11 guys moving when you break the huddle.

That was a shift that the skins ran in pre-season that was ruled a shift. We have the same play ruled 2 different ways.

What people are confused about is that you can't have 2 guys moving at the snap, or have 2 guys moving before the snap without having them both set for at least 1 second before sending another guy in motion.

Archived