Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can't people put their political differences aside? (Hasselbeck)

Spaceman Spiff

Does this surprise anyone? There are parts of the country that are insanely partisan. You think folks in Texas would be cool with their star QB's posing at a Clinton fundraiser?

People take politics seriously... especially the ones that think the other guys are trying to destroy the country (both sides do this believe it or not)

Does this surprise anyone? There are parts of the country that are insanely partisan. You think folks in Texas would be cool with their star QB's posing at a Clinton fundraiser?

As long as they are carefull where he puts his cigars I'm good with it. ;)

Ummm...How about the Skins visiting the Reagan White House after the Super Bowl? DC's like 98.2647% democrats.

I guess the difference is East Coast democrats aren't whiney *****es. Well, at least not quite as whiney. ;) :laugh:

Wow, I have said it before and I will say it again, if for whatever reason the President of the United States, no matter who it is, wanted to meet me I would meet them and be cordial to them. It is an honor no matter who the president is, no matter what you think about the job they are doing. He is your president whether you voted for him or not and he deserves some measure of respect, even if the respect that you give him is only that of the respect of the office. People are insane in Seattle and California, SF and Seattle are the only places I could imagine this kind of strong reaction happening from either side.

Wow, I have said it before and I will say it again, if for whatever reason the President of the United States, no matter who it is, wanted to meet me I would meet them and be cordial to them. It is an honor no matter who the president is, no matter what you think about the job they are doing. He is your president whether you voted for him or not and he deserves some measure of respect, even if the respect that you give him is only that of the respect of the office. People are insane in Seattle and California, SF and Seattle are the only places I could imagine this kind of strong reaction happening from either side.

Your imagination fails you. Wait and see if Hillary becomes president, and try to imagine the reaction she will get if a sports star from Rush Limbaugh land makes an appearance with her. Partisanship is a two way street.

Can't people put their political differences aside? In America? No.

In America? lol the parties in the US are basically the same damn thing with minor differences. This is nothing. In south america you have right wing parties that make the GOP look moderate and left wing parties that make the democrats look like free market capitalists.

Once again proving that liberalism is a mental disorder. If there were liberal players on the same team and they visited a Hillary or Obama function you wouldn't have heard a peep out of conservatives. We don't care what other people do with their time.

I freely admit that people on my side that share my "mental disorder" (shouldn't I be getting disability checks or something?) routinely embarrass me. But please don't act like your side is any better.

(Just wondering how many of the "liberalism is a mental disorder" crowd, said the same thing when people were publishing the home phone numbers of the CEOs of companies who advertise on radio stations that have been known to play Dixie Chicks songs, so that people could make more effective threats to people who have a third-hand association with somebody who once said something they disagree with, politically.)

People take politics seriously... especially the ones that think the other guys are trying to destroy the country (both sides do this believe it or not)

I really have to disagree, the hatred of Bush by the left goes far deeper than any dislike for clinton by the right ever did. both sides are partisan I'll give you that, but Bush garners more hatred per pound from the left than anything or anyone else.

So again: When (one of) The Dixie Chicks said something bad about Bush, people didn't just protest at Dixie Chicks concerts, they didn't just threaten retaliation against radio stations playing Dixie Chicks music, they threatened companies who advertised on radio stations that played country music, to encourage those sponsors to put pressure on the radio stations.

I'm not seeing any stories about people calling up Budweiser, threatening to boycott Bud Light if Anheiser Bush fails to immediately get on the phone to CBS and order CBS to refuse to broadcase Seahawk games.

I'm not seeing stories about bloggers publishing the names and phone numbers of the executives of every company that buys advertising during NFL games, so that outraged partisans who didn't even hear the comment that has scarred them for life can more effectively threaten retaliation against any company who fails to completely boycott Hasselbeck's employer.

(Nor am I seeing scores of right-wing partisans piously announcing that Freedom of Speech doesn't mean freedom from professionally-run punishment campaigns for any entertainer failing to say what they're demanding.)

I seem to recall that people (no doubt a very tiny minority of really die-hard partisans) were still making death threats against the Dixie Chicks, and against radio stations who play their music, a year after they made their one offending comment. Anybody seriously want to try to claim that (since everybody knows that Democrats are 50 times worse) Hasselbeck will still be receiving death threats (for something off the football field) two weeks from now?

-----

Or let's just restrict ourselves to things posted on this very forum. (That way we can limit ourselves, instead of trying to find which side has the partisan who's the furthest out in la-la land, and simply restrict ourselves to which "side" has the most, loudest, most extreme whackjob partisans in this forum?)

I recall more than one poster advocating Treason charges against the Dixie Chicks. Revoke their citizenship and their passports, and refuse to allow them to set foot in this country again. I recall people claiming that they deserved to be punished professionally, by having their employers fire them, terminate their contracts, cancel their concerts, all because they told a joke that several partisans in this forum objected to.

OTOH, how many ESers have posted, here, advocating that Hasselbeck be fired from the NFL, and if he isn't, then the TV networks should refuse to broadcast any game he participates in?

Yeah, I have no doubt that there are whackjobs out there who claim allegiance to both of the major political parties.

But I also guarantee you that I know which "side" has more whackjobs posting (proudly) in these cases. (Hasslebeck vs. The Dixie Chicks).

It's not even close. (More like a shutout.)

So again: When (one of) The Dixie Chicks said something bad about Bush, people didn't just protest at Dixie Chicks concerts, they didn't just threaten retaliation against radio stations playing Dixie Chicks music, they threatened companies who advertised on radio stations that played country music, to encourage those sponsors to put pressure on the radio stations.

I'm not seeing any stories about people calling up Budweiser, threatening to boycott Bud Light if Anheiser Bush fails to immediately get on the phone to CBS and order CBS to refuse to broadcase Seahawk games.

I'm not seeing stories about bloggers publishing the names and phone numbers of the executives of every company that buys advertising during NFL games, so that outraged partisans who didn't even hear the comment that has scarred them for life can more effectively threaten retaliation against any company who fails to completely boycott Hasselbeck's employer.

(Nor am I seeing scores of right-wing partisans piously announcing that Freedom of Speech doesn't mean freedom from professionally-run punishment campaigns for any entertainer failing to say what they're demanding.)

I seem to recall that people (no doubt a very tiny minority of really die-hard partisans) were still making death threats against the Dixie Chicks, and against radio stations who play their music, a year after they made their one offending comment. Anybody seriously want to try to claim that (since everybody knows that Democrats are 50 times worse) Hasselbeck will still be receiving death threats (for something off the football field) two weeks from now?

-----

Or let's just restrict ourselves to things posted on this very forum. (That way we can limit ourselves, instead of trying to find which side has the partisan who's the furthest out in la-la land, and simply restrict ourselves to which "side" has the most, loudest, most extreme whackjob partisans in this forum?)

I recall more than one poster advocating Treason charges against the Dixie Chicks. Revoke their citizenship and their passports, and refuse to allow them to set foot in this country again. I recall people claiming that they deserved to be punished professionally, by having their employers fire them, terminate their contracts, cancel their concerts, all because they told a joke that several partisans in this forum objected to.

OTOH, how many ESers have posted, here, advocating that Hasselbeck be fired from the NFL, and if he isn't, then the TV networks should refuse to broadcast any game he participates in?

Yeah, I have no doubt that there are whackjobs out there who claim allegiance to both of the major political parties.

But I also guarantee you that I know which "side" has more whackjobs posting (proudly) in these cases. (Hasslebeck vs. The Dixie Chicks).

It's not even close. (More like a shutout.)

ZING!!!!

Larry, I musta missed most of that with the Chicks,here there was nothing but a vote on playing their music on the radio,but I'll accept your word.

But isn't that a apples to oranges thing anyway?

Insulting the President vs giving him a jersey?

Strong and Hasselbeck said they would have welcomed a Democratic president, too, and noted that they once visited Gov. Christine Gregoire in Olympia and gave her an autographed football. When he played in Green Bay, Hasselbeck also met former Vice President Al Gore.

Chicks

Just so you know, we’re on the good side with y’all. We do not want this war, this violence, and we’re ashamed that the President of the United States is from Texas.

Larry, I musta missed most of that with the Chicks,here there was nothing but a vote on playing their music on the radio,but I'll accept your word.

But isn't that a apples to oranges thing anyway?

Insulting the President vs giving him a jersey?

Strong and Hasselbeck said they would have welcomed a Democratic president, too, and noted that they once visited Gov. Christine Gregoire in Olympia and gave her an autographed football. When he played in Green Bay, Hasselbeck also met former Vice President Al Gore.

Chicks

Just so you know, we’re on the good side with y’all. We do not want this war, this violence, and we’re ashamed that the President of the United States is from Texas.

Where I lived there was mass outrage at any station that played dixie chicks music. People actually refused to listen to stations until they promised to stop playing them.

Archived