Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis/Betts v. Jones/Barber

SWFLSkins

Today in my local paper, TheNewsPress on the Sports page they do an NFL prediction page and have the Eagles winning the east and the Cowboys coming in second, Skin third and the Giants last.

What is the funniest thing about the article is the following quotes:

Strengths: RB's Clinton Portis and Ladell Betts are almost as good as the Jones-Barber combo in Dallas.

--They also go on to say a weakness is: That secondary does'nt cover well though, and the front four does not bring pressure.

I can not provide a link, because as of this time the article is in the paper only and not on-line. I would like to see some comparison on the RB's and will be more than glad to email it to the sports editor.

Well those weaknesses were true enough one year ago. It's a new year now, though. :)

As for the running backs, Portis is the best of all 4. Barber comes in second. I don't know why people think Jones is so good. He's nothing too special if you ask me.

Portis, Barber, Jones, Betts if you ask me. Betts' fumbling problem really ruins me.

Betts > Jones/Barber

Jones is living off what he did in the last half dozen games of his rookie season. Every Cowboy-licking mediot projected his production the next year to 1800 yards if he kept up the same average per game, and the hype stuck.

You think Betts is better than Barber? I could see the argument of him being better than Jones, but I think Barber definitely takes the cake between the two of them.

You know it really blows my mind how all the media football "experts" think the pukes are just about the second comming of Christ. No one is mentioning the Newman injury, or the fact they have a first year head coach and coaching staff, etc. Yes i hate Dallas with a passion but objectively speaking hear the Eagles should be favored here over them. Their OL is weaker, the secondary is suspect, and Romo sits to pee still is a question mark, all of the above strengths of the Eagles btw.

Now our skins, other than JC being the big question mark I say our OL is better, our seconday can't have anymore depth and our LBs are great. The Portis Betts combo is just rediculous if you just look at production of these two the past couple of years. Honestly I give the Eagles a slight edge over US not the pukes.

You think Betts is better than Barber? I could see the argument of him being better than Jones, but I think Barber definitely takes the cake between the two of them.

I guess we will find out this year. Barber was a great goal line option for them but Betts had as many yards in 8-9 starts last year as Barber had in his 2 season.

Our offense blew compared to Dallas, Betts didn't get much chance at the goal line either. I'd say that the comparison is still up in the air but Portis/Betts is no doubt better than their combo.

I think that the Portis/Betts combo compares well to the RB duos that the Giants and Bears had last year, with Portis being better than both Tiki and Jones and Betts being better than both Jacobs and Betts is comparable, if not better than Benson.

I think that Jones/Barber are both mediocre backs and so one may compare with Betts but putting portis into the mix just putts our combo leaps and bounds above their combo.

as a full time RB, CP >>>>> Jones > betts >Barber

Barber is a good goal-line RB but he sucks as a full-time RB. Jones is not what he is hyped to be but he did have some amazing games.

This seems to be the general line of thinking and I have to agree with it.

Now that the season has begun I think Portis returns to elite top five status.

It's a tough comparison because a RBs success really depends on the O-Lines ability to open holes. However, I would still favor the Portis/Betts combo over the Jones/Barber.

The Redskins will win the NFC East. This is their year! Philly will be second, Giants third and Dallas will bring up the rear. :-)

Go Skins!

• 7 months later...
Betts > Jones/Barber

Jones is living off what he did in the last half dozen games of his rookie season. Every Cowboy-licking mediot projected his production the next year to 1800 yards if he kept up the same average per game, and the hype stuck.

no way.as much as i hate to say this, i really think barber is much better than betts. he has agility, power, speed, and i just really respect his talent and skill. i dont think betts comes close to comparing with barber......jones, he just sucks

Ummm why did this get brought up again? Thats from Sept. 2007????

Who cares, it just give me another reason to remember this

Marion Barber came into Week 17 versus the Redskins needing 19 yards to rush for a 1000.

He left the game needing 24 yards to have a 1000.

lolololololol

:dallasuck

Jones was severely overrated. I think Betts, talent-wise is better than him. Barber's got too much physicality to him, though. The difference that separates Barber from Betts is that Barber runs as big as he is. Betts, who I think should run a bit more powerfully for being 225 or so, doesn't. Did anyone see that one play when the Cowboys played NE when MB broke tackles from about 8 different Patriots defenders to not only get out of his backfield and avoid a safety, but to turn a complete failure to block by his OL into a 2-yard gain.

I will say that Portis, out of all of those backs, is the most balanced. Nobody has his breakaway speed or deadly moves when he gets into the open field. Barber is the best out of the four in traffic. He's probably the back I'd like to have if we have another injury year with our OL like we did last year because he's hard to stop even with multiple defenders in the backfield. He's also a tiny bit more durable than Portis, who I think tries too hard to bowl defenders when he could make use of his feet.

As much as I couldn't stand Bill Parcells for being the grumpy old prick that he was, I wish he'd never retired. You see, Tuna had an obvious man-crush on Julius Jones and wasn't willing to start Barber even though it had even become obvious to me as a Redskins fan that Barber was far superior to Jones.

But there's no telling. Barber's effectiveness might have been because of Jones, or the other way around. Portis and Betts can work in tandem, yes, but each can also carry the load on his own if needed. Some backs are pure 'tandem' backs. One example was the tandem of Cedric Benson and Thomas Jones (Julius' older brother, incidentally) out in Chicago. When they were together, it made Chicago's running game beastly and pretty much generated their entire offense from those two guys alone (because the passing game hasn't done **** in decades). When Thomas bolted for the Jets and a bigger contract...both running backs ended up sucking last year. Julius Jones leaving for the Seahawks will do either one of two things. It'll either make Marion Barber's stats a ***** by giving him more touches, or getting more touches will wear him down and establish him as a pretender.

BTW...this list aside - the Taylor-MJD combo in Jacksonville probably owns every rushing tandem in the NFL. It might even give ours a run for its money. Redskins are my team through and through, but I've gotta admit that I love watching the Jaguars work.

Archived