Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis/Betts v. Jones/Barber

SWFLSkins

Today in my local paper, TheNewsPress on the Sports page they do an NFL prediction page and have the Eagles winning the east and the Cowboys coming in second, Skin third and the Giants last.

What is the funniest thing about the article is the following quotes:

Strengths: RB's Clinton Portis and Ladell Betts are almost as good as the Jones-Barber combo in Dallas.

--They also go on to say a weakness is: That secondary does'nt cover well though, and the front four does not bring pressure.

I can not provide a link, because as of this time the article is in the paper only and not on-line. I would like to see some comparison on the RB's and will be more than glad to email it to the sports editor.

I was very very high on Barber coming out of Minnisota, even if we had Betts, I would have LOVED to get him in the draft. I honestly had him higher on my "board" then his teammate coming out Maroney, Barber ran like a madman even in college and it's carried over. As far as the whole combo thing...heck Jones isn't even there anymore so that's gotta tell you something.

Also I don't think Betts is as good at just coming in for one or to plays as you need in a 1..2. punch. I think he can fill in "fulltime" or for a length of time but he is one of those backs who needs his touches to be affective.

The whole running back by commitee, only works with very select few, I mean seriously, even in Dallas, Jones did very very little. And Barber would come in and drop the hammer.

Turner and LT, that's no commitee, thats a feed LT till he needs a breather then Turner gets the ball. There is no realy RB+C in the NFL if you really look at it.

Edit: I stand corrected MJD and Fred Taylor are probably the only ones who actually pull it off.

There's no doubt that Portis is the most talented back of that group, at least not in my mind. I'm still waiting for him to hit the top of his game though and consistently slice teams up the way he did in Denver. Part of that is injuries (both to him and the offensive line), part of it is a different system, and part of it can probably go to playing on a team which has struggled across the board on offense in recent years. I also haven't seen us use Portis very much in some of the ways Denver liked to use him - for example, lining him up in the backfield and then motioning him out to the slot or even wideout fairly regularly.

The tandem with Betts is obviously good, but as kevinklein said Betts' fumbles really bother me. The killer is that it seems like Betts is not only prone to fumbling from time to time, but fumbling with the game on the line.

Marion Barber, for as much as I hate the Cowboys, is ten times the RB that Ladell Betts is. I can't even believe that's an argument.

Portis is the best. Then Barber. Jones sucks but Betts is so overrated by this fanbase it isn't even funny. If Portis was running behind the line that Betts was at the end of '06, he'd be the rushing king. And I fully and completely believe that.

I know some call us homers or biased, but Portis and Betts are a lot better combo then MB/JJ.

JJ showed that he's a terrible #1 RB, and there's a big reason the Boys want McFadden so badly OR Felix Jones. Anyone who watches fball knows Marion Barber runs to angrily to be a #1 RB, so that comparison is just comical to me.

Portis>Marion

Betts>>>>>>>>>>+++++++Jones(Jones is terrible, while Betts could start for at least 10 NFL teams right now.

Well those weaknesses were true enough one year ago. It's a new year now, though. :)

As for the running backs, Portis is the best of all 4. Barber comes in second. I don't know why people think Jones is so good. He's nothing too special if you ask me.

Portis, Barber, Jones, Betts if you ask me. Betts' fumbling problem really ruins me.

Agreed. If Betts didn't fumble as often, I'd put him above Jones and Barber. Jones because he simply isn't anything special, and I just don't think Barber is an every down back (because of his style, not his ability).

Archived