Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Big "?"

LoyalSkinsFan

The big "question mark". That's what I'm calling this week's game.

I just don't know....

I actually wrote - in print - a prediction (and I HATE those things) of 34-10 in favor of the Redskins in this Sunday's game against the Dolphins. In truth, what's so CRAZY about that prediction is that it could actually happen. I don't think any of us would have predicted that in Richie Petibon's first game as a head coach the Redskins would scalp the Cowboys 35-16. So, why not now?

Jason Campbell could actually be the real deal, couldn't he? And why is it NOT possible that Clinton Portis would turn out to be perfectly healthy and that all this "tedonitis" gobbledegook turned out to be just what I've felt it was....a way to sit down for the preseason and nothing more? What if 2006 WAS the anomaly and our defense turns in an all-out FEROCIOUS performance...pulling in a turnover or two in the process? What if what we're feeling in our collective gut turns out to be correct and the Washington Redskins ARE the surprise team of the NFL this season.......

What if......

Still, we've been so beaten down over the last fifteen years or so that I - in all honesty - would not totally be surprised if we came out flat - again - and turned in a lackluster performance leading to a 10-3 loss. That would be just so predictable, wouldn't it?

In the end, gang....I just don't know. Time will tell.

Sunday can't get here soon enough.....I need some answers.

I need them now.

HTTR

I know what you mean.

2005 I had low expectations, but after going undefeated in the first few games, figured Gibbs just needed time (2004) to get his team to buy into him. My low expectations came to fruition midway through the season, but by the end...well, you know.

2006 I just KNEW we would come out rockin. But an embarrassing loss at home in the Monday Night opener put me back in my place.

There's so much to buy into this season. It feels very similar to the 2006 season, with so much hype. Unfortunately, I saw how 2006 actually ended up. So while I have high HOPES for this season, I don't expect much better than 8-8. I know that the talent and coaching are there for a Super Bowl team, but can they execute?

The big "question mark". That's what I'm calling this week's game.

I just don't know....

I actually wrote - in print - a prediction (and I HATE those things) of 34-10 in favor of the Redskins in this Sunday's game against the Dolphins. In truth, what's so CRAZY about that prediction is that it could actually happen. I don't think any of us would have predicted that in Richie Petibon's first game as a head coach the Redskins would scalp the Cowboys 35-16. So, why not now?

Jason Campbell could actually be the real deal, couldn't he? And why is it NOT possible that Clinton Portis would turn out to be perfectly healthy and that all this "tedonitis" gobbledegook turned out to be just what I've felt it was....a way to sit down for the preseason and nothing more? What if 2006 WAS the anomaly and our defense turns in an all-out FEROCIOUS performance...pulling in a turnover or two in the process? What if what we're feeling in our collective gut turns out to be correct and the Washington Redskins ARE the surprise team of the NFL this season.......

What if......

Still, we've been so beaten down over the last fifteen years or so that I - in all honesty - would not totally be surprised if we came out flat - again - and turned in a lackluster performance leading to a 10-3 loss. That would be just so predictable, wouldn't it?

In the end, gang....I just don't know. Time will tell.

Sunday can't get here soon enough.....I need some answers.

I need them now.

HTTR

NORVITIS! If only it were as easy as a penicilin shot.

:helmet:

Wrote the following in another thread, but seems appropriate here as well. :)

I hate making predictions, because my nature is to want to note all the possible caveats. It’s why I’ll never make money betting--I see way too much gray.

That said, I am having a hard time imagining the Skins losing this week. Unlike last year, the vibe coming off preseason is just so positive. Last year was, “Well, we’ve seen Gibbs teams fall flat in preseason before, even if not quite this bad, so let’s just wait and see.”

This year is, “Let’s eat.”

I’ll be shocked if the team doesn’t play well Sunday. Yes, the ball can bounce funny and “on any given Sunday” and all that, but at some point, you look at the whole picture–from talent to home field to a continuity Miami does NOT enjoy, etc.–and realize the Skins really do have a decided advantage going in. There’s no reason not to believe they’ll win, and maybe fairly convincingly.

What stands in the way of being totally comfortable going there, of course, is how the team has false-started so many times over the past 15 years. Skins fans are understandably gun shy about getting too optimistic, regardless of all the indicators. There’s a distinct sense of having been burned too many times to let it all hang out there quite yet.

So now that I’ve danced all around it ... yes, I think the Skins will win. Not sure about 34-10, as some have boldly predicted, although if things snowball it could definitely happen. But I’d not be surprised to see a 24-16 or 27-13 kind of game.

Only thing that would really surprise me is to see a disjointed, uninspired Redskins team like the one that sleepwalked through the opener last year. If nothing else, Miami better plan to bring a lunch, because if they want to get out of here with a win they’re going to have to earn it.

I really am having a hard time knowing what to think about this team. I believe, and from what I hear, the team's chemistry is a lot better than at any point last year. They guys are digging on each other and what's going on. However, a couple of losses reveal the idiots in the crew. If Portis struggles early, an innocuous Betts quote like how he'd gone through training camp and the preseason and is ready, becomes a slap in the face of Portis and bickering can begin. Stuff like that happens when a team struggles.

I like the makeup of the roster. We have legitimate top players across every level but QB and DE and we have hope at QB and even a wee bit of potential at DE with Carter. This team needs a fast start with three of four at home. If we open 3-1 we'll be hard to handle this year. If not, we'll collapse in the middle portion.

What I envision for the first game, and for the first couple games, is a revitalized defense winning games for us until the offense comes around. With Samuels, Kendall, and Portis in the lineup together for the first time, the offense is going to misfire at first. From what I've seen of the defense, they can cover for their brethren on the other side of the ball until they get their ish together. Low scoring win Sunday.

There's so much to buy into this season. It feels very similar to the 2006 season, with so much hype. Unfortunately, I saw how 2006 actually ended up. So while I have high HOPES for this season, I don't expect much better than 8-8. I know that the talent and coaching are there for a Super Bowl team, but can they execute?

Last year we had hype which was only backed up by faith after preseason. This year we have a distinct lack of hype (away from these boards) and we have seen proof in the preseason.

Very different IMO. This year the only faith part of our optimism is the WRs behind Moss and Portis' health and fitness. If those two come good we are going deep into the playoffs.

the only thing that gives me pause is miami's defence. their Oline is still whoaful, Trent is very beat up (much like our own bruenell). their recievers dont scare anyone and they have good running backs, but again O line is bad.

the D is scary, we should be fine but samuels is healthy? jansen has looked bad all preseason and randy really hasnt been great either.

please hurry sunday!!!

What I envision for the first game, and for the first couple games, is a revitalized defense winning games for us until the offense comes around. With Samuels, Kendall, and Portis in the lineup together for the first time, the offense is going to misfire at first. From what I've seen of the defense, they can cover for their brethren on the other side of the ball until they get their ish together. Low scoring win Sunday.

This is how I see it also.

Our defense is ready to play; and will come out and play like they have in preseason. They will stuff the run and use lots of blitzes to disrupt their passing game.

On offense, the combination of Miami's good defense and our OL that has not fielded a full working unit in preseason suggests to me that we will have difficulty getting much going in our running game.

This will be a defensive battle; and the game will be won or lost on one or two big plays, or on turnovers, or special teams plays.

I hate making predictions, because my nature is to want to note all the possible caveats. It’s why I’ll never make money betting--I see way too much gray.

I do make money betting...but not generally in week 1.

Vegas has completely punted the game. The Skins are a 3-point favorite and the O/U is 35.

It seems to me that the game depends entirely on what you think of the Skins' D. The Dolphins' games went under 35 10 out of 16 times last year. That's kind of amazing when you stop to think about it.

Moreover, since Gibbs has been back, these are the Skins Week 1 point totals:

And the points differential is:

So, like I said, it depends on the Skins' D. If they are what we have seen so far expect a really close low-scoring game. If not, expect the Dolphins in a 24-10 snoozefest.

I like the Dolphins and the Under, though I think the Skins may win outright.

A 17-16 game would not surprise me in the least.

That said, I am having a hard time imagining the Skins losing this week. Unlike last year, the vibe coming off preseason is just so positive. Last year was, “Well, we’ve seen Gibbs teams fall flat in preseason before, even if not quite this bad, so let’s just wait and see.”

This year is, “Let’s eat.”

I’ll be shocked if the team doesn’t play well Sunday. Yes, the ball can bounce funny and “on any given Sunday” and all that, but at some point, you look at the whole picture–from talent to home field to a continuity Miami does NOT enjoy, etc.–and realize the Skins really do have a decided advantage going in. There’s no reason not to believe they’ll win, and maybe fairly convincingly.

Only thing that would really surprise me is to see a disjointed, uninspired Redskins team like the one that sleepwalked through the opener last year. If nothing else, Miami better plan to bring a lunch, because if they want to get out of here with a win they’re going to have to earn it.

Great post, Om. You've articulated my feelings better than I could have. :applause:

I do make money betting...but not generally in week 1.

Vegas has completely punted the game. The Skins are a 3-point favorite and the O/U is 35.

It seems to me that the game depends entirely on what you think of the Skins' D. The Dolphins' games went under 35 10 out of 16 times last year. That's kind of amazing when you stop to think about it.

Moreover' date=' since Gibbs has been back, these are the Skins Week 1 point totals:

And the points differential is:

So, like I said, it depends on the Skins' D. If they are what we have seen so far expect a really close low-scoring game. If not, expect the Dolphins in a 24-10 snoozefest.

I like the Dolphins and the Under, though I think the Skins may win outright.

A 17-16 game would not surprise me in the least.[/quote']

Well, a lot of what you say makes sense, but I still think that your analysis is flawed. You seem to indicate that the only unknown here is how the Redskins D will perform - if well, a tight, low-scoring affair; if not so well, a Dolphin cakewalk.

You only see the Redskin side of the equation (kinda negatively, as is your style :) ), but you don't look at this from the Dolphin perspective. You're basing the Dolphins on what they did under Saban last season. But they have a completely new regime in town - their units might be considerably better or worse, you just don't know. I would think smart money would would bet on their units under-performing what they did last time they took the field (actually, I think smart money wouldn't touch this game :)). You take it for granted that their D will be good and will stifle the Redskin O, and that their offensive success is almost purely predicated on how strong the Redskin D is. But it is quite likely that their O won't be able to take much advantage of the Redskins D, even if the D plays to its 2006 level. Likewise, it is very possible that the Dolphin D, playing a new system, won't be as quick as a Redskin O that is through the learning curve of the Saunders attack.

Maybe you should avoid the week 1 games...:)

As to the topic, if you can tell me how Jason Campbell will perform, I'll give you a good prediction as to how the team will perform. Short of that, you're just throwing darts. I'm almost taking it as a given that the D is going to bounce back big-time and resemble that suffocating unit we saw in 2004 and late 2005. I like the special teams and think Frost and Suisham will do just fine. I see no reason to think that the running game will fall off the table. I could feel better about the WRs, but, if Campbell's on, that won't be an issue. The question is, will Campbell be on? Will the light bulb come on for him, or has it already? When and if it does, can he keep it lit when other teams try to write the book on him? Can he make other teams tear up that book in frustration?

Give me solid play from the QB, and I'll guarantee a successful season. It's that simple.

I'm pretty comfortable with the defense, based on the play I saw.

But on Offense, what did we see? We have yet to see Samuels, the run blocking has been poor. Still chemistry problems btw Campbell and Lloyd.

I think Dan T hit it on the head. There will be a learning curve for this O line. Hopefully, it won't last too long. I see a win, at home. But the defense will have to do it.

That said, if the offense puts up 28 pts you won't hear me complain, lol. :point2sky

Well, a lot of what you say makes sense, but I still think that your analysis is flawed. You seem to indicate that the only unknown here is how the Redskins D will perform - if well, a tight, low-scoring affair; if not so well, a Dolphin cakewalk.

I think it's hysterical that people think any game, regardless of where it's played or who it's against, could be a cakewalk for a 6-10 team. :laugh:

We certainly have alot of questions that still need answering. This game scares me because on paper we should win, but we all know how many times the paper has been crumpled and thrown into the fire the last 15 years. I just want us to get back to respectability. If you gain respect from the other teams and the media, then winning will come and the SB will come. I just want us to go out and play hard and not look like the keystone kops.

Archived