Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Big "?"

LoyalSkinsFan

Our defense is ready to play; and will come out and play like they have in preseason. They will stuff the run and use lots of blitzes to disrupt their passing game......This will be a defensive battle; and the game will be won or lost on one or two big plays, or on turnovers, or special teams plays.
I agree it will be a Defensive game. Our O hasn't been together yet in the preseason so I don't see it clicking for a couple of games or so. One thing that helps is that we played against some great Ds in the preseason, so we should be used to it! (except Portis) I see us winning 16-10, 3 field goals, 1 TD
Vegas has completely punted the game. The Skins are a 3-point favorite and the O/U is 35......Moreover' date=' since Gibbs has been back, these are the Skins Week 1 point totals:

And the points differential is:

.......A 17-16 game would not surprise me in the least.[/quote']

Give me solid play from the QB, and I'll guarantee a successful season. It's that simple.

But, see? All of this just illustrates the point.....and my confusion.

Smart money (pardon the pun) says it'll be a defensive battle....defenses always seem to be ahead of offenses. But, as the statement "so goes the QB so will go the team" points out, who's to say that Campbell can't come out firing?

I truly don't know what to expect. "Norvitis" has me gun-shy, but I have to admit that I like what I see in the makeup of the team this year. Joe Gibbs' teams in his second go-around have been anything but offensive powerhouses....but I am CERTAINLY not going to be the one to doubt that he could put an offensive powerhouse together......are you? The Redskins in the 80's and early 90's set NFL records for offensive performance....and, while not the norm, I can see the pieces in place that make the possiblity of an offensive explosion by the 2007 version of the Redskins possible.

Everyone - including me - is down on ARE and Brandon Lloyd...neither have performed up to expectations. But, the coaching staff saw SOMETHING in them to bring them here in the first place. Could it be that this is the game.....no, that this is the YEAR that we see what they saw? Why not? Al Saunders has historically done some great things....maybe, as we hear is often the case, the second year IS the charm.

And, since defense often really does win football games....maybe this defense turns out to be just as good as the glimpses we got in pre-season. Maybe, in a world where things have a tendency to even out in the end.....maybe THIS year we get all the turnovers we DIDN'T last year. Maybe our offense gets to operate on a short field more often than ever before.

Maybe, maybe.....MAYBE!!

Maybe is what keeps me tuning in each year. Maybe is why I've been a fan for around forty years......

This could be just another stinker in a long line of 'em....but.....maybe not.

HTTR

PS I saw this thread bump to the second page last night and didn't even tune in this morning. Imagine my surprise when it was back on page one with another 18 posts. Thanks for the interest folks. :cheers:

Well, a lot of what you say makes sense, but I still think that your analysis is flawed. You seem to indicate that the only unknown here is how the Redskins D will perform - if well, a tight, low-scoring affair; if not so well, a Dolphin cakewalk.

You only see the Redskin side of the equation (kinda negatively, as is your style :) ), but you don't look at this from the Dolphin perspective. You're basing the Dolphins on what they did under Saban last season. But they have a completely new regime in town - their units might be considerably better or worse, you just don't know. I would think smart money would would bet on their units under-performing what they did last time they took the field (actually, I think smart money wouldn't touch this game :)). You take it for granted that their D will be good and will stifle the Redskin O, and that their offensive success is almost purely predicated on how strong the Redskin D is. But it is quite likely that their O won't be able to take much advantage of the Redskins D, even if the D plays to its 2006 level. Likewise, it is very possible that the Dolphin D, playing a new system, won't be as quick as a Redskin O that is through the learning curve of the Saunders attack.

Maybe you should avoid the week 1 games...:)

As to the topic, if you can tell me how Jason Campbell will perform, I'll give you a good prediction as to how the team will perform. Short of that, you're just throwing darts. I'm almost taking it as a given that the D is going to bounce back big-time and resemble that suffocating unit we saw in 2004 and late 2005. I like the special teams and think Frost and Suisham will do just fine. I see no reason to think that the running game will fall off the table. I could feel better about the WRs, but, if Campbell's on, that won't be an issue. The question is, will Campbell be on? Will the light bulb come on for him, or has it already? When and if it does, can he keep it lit when other teams try to write the book on him? Can he make other teams tear up that book in frustration?

Give me solid play from the QB, and I'll guarantee a successful season. It's that simple.

I'm a genius. (Of course, the +3 made it a push but I was dead right about everything).

I'm a genius. (Of course' date=' the +3 made it a push but I was dead right about everything).[/quote']

Congratulations, LKB. Good to see you had such confidence in your analysis that you came back to brag about it AFTER the game ;).

Got the blindfold and darts ready for next week's games :)?

Congratulations, LKB. Good to see you had such confidence in your analysis that you came back to brag about it AFTER the game ;).

Got the blindfold and darts ready for next week's games :)?

How exactly am I supposed to brag about being right before the game?

The only assessment of the season that I may need to alter is my Atlanta one. I seriously thought they would shock everyone be .500. I am going to stand by that for a few more weeks, but yesterday was not exactly confidence-inspiring.

I need to ponder this week's game. The Philly game was in a distant corner at the bar yesterday so I didn't really see any of it.

My early prediction is Eagles 31 Redskins 20. Rule #1 in predicting the NFL: All things being equal, the more desperate team almost always wins. The Eagles can't start 0-2 and let the Cowboys and Redskins both get 2 games ahead of them. They need this game a lot more than the Skins need it. An early season in-division road win would be great, but not life-altering.

Yeah, brag was the wrong word. Meant to say back it up, as in defending your (flawed :)) analysis. Something tells me you wouldn't have revived this thread if the final score hadn't been so close to your prediction.

I didn't see the Eagle game, either, so I can't speak to their performance yesterday. I tend to agree with you, though, that Philly's situation is much more tenuous than the Redskins' right now, so their desperation factor is a main reason why I expect them to come out on fire next Monday. A loss for them would be much more damaging than a loss by the Skins.

Yeah, brag was the wrong word. Meant to say back it up, as in defending your (flawed :)) analysis. Something tells me you wouldn't have revived this thread if the final score hadn't been so close to your prediction.

I didn't see the Eagle game, either, so I can't speak to their performance yesterday. I tend to agree with you, though, that Philly's situation is much more tenuous than the Redskins' right now, so their desperation factor is a main reason why I expect them to come out on fire next Monday. A loss for them would be much more damaging than a loss by the Skins.

I bumped a Casey Bramlet thread today where I was wrong.

To begin with, you estimated a close game..perhaps 17-16. You were off.

I, on the otherhand, threw out a 34-10 score. At halftime I was calm....I turned to my 14-month old daughter and said "only 24 more to go". ;)

In my defense, though, the point of this thread is that I wasn't sure which version of the Redskins would show up. The one that did, or the one of my memory. So posed, so answered.

I'm obviously worried about the Philly game next week...I'd much rather be playing them having beaten Green Bay than losing to them. The logic says that things will even out in the NFC east in week two.

Still, who knows? That's the fun of the NFL these days. Maybe this is our year and for once, we buck the odds. I'd be okay with that.

There were many omens yesterday that kept me waiting for the hammer to fall.....the injury, the interceptions, the missed interception at the end......but, maybe, just maybe, we're not that star-crossed team any longer. The teams that get the bounces ultimately prevail. Maybe we're finally coming out from under the Norv Turner curse.

Maybe.

HTTR

Archived