Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sporting News prediction: Skins13, Dolphins 20

Here's what they said "When The Redskins Have The Ball":

RUNNING GAME

The Redskins will try to establish the run early with Clinton Portis and Ladell Betts. The Redskins like to run stretch plays to the outside, allowing the running backs to pick their own running lanes.

The Redskins' running game plays to the strength of the Miami defense, featuring speedy linebackers Joey Porter and Zach Thomas. Porter had arthroscopic knee surgery early in training camp but is expected to play in Week 1. The key for Miami might be weakside linebacker Channing Crowder, who will replace Thomas in the middle in the next year or two. Portis and Betts will have to correctly read the defense and locate the cutback lanes if/when the Dolphins overpursue the play.

If fullback Brad Sellers and tight end Chris Cooley can neutralize the linebackers, the Redskins will roll in this game. If not, the Redskins will face a lot of third-and-long situations, which would be disastrous against Miami's elite pass rushers. Advantage: Dolphins.

http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/matchups/week1/dolphins-redskins/home.html

And yes, they said "Brad Sellers" lol :)

LOL Cali's trying to instigate a riot over at the warroom :laugh:

:applause: More power to you! Thanks for keeping these cheesers accountable!

We have more checks, but end up with less points? :doh:

I am not sure you guys realize just because one team has more check is going to win. One team might look good on paper but when they hit the field that is where it counts.

We really need to wait another 3 weeks to see how good we really look on the field. Mistakes can bring a good team to it's knees.

they lost all validity with the coaching check.

They obviously take the whole coaching staff into account. If you forget about Cameron for a moment, here's what you've got:

Dom Capers: 7 years as a head coach in the NFL with 2 different teams. Undoubtedly an excellent defensive mind, one of the top coordinators in the NFL today.

Mike Mularkey: 2 years experience as a head coach for the Bills. 9 years as a player in the NFL from '83 to '91. Steelers TE coach for 5 years, then offensive coordinator for the 3 years following. Steelers averaged 10+ wins during those 3 years.

Terry Robiskie: Has had brief stints as head coach for both the Skins and the Browns. Was also offensive coordinator for both teams for several years. Has 26 - yes, twenty-six - years experience coaching in the NFL.

Bobby Jackson: Has 20 years NFL coaching experience. Coached Terry Allen and Stephen Davis to some pretty damn good seasons, if you remember. Spent 3 years as the offensive coordinator for the Rams under Mike Martz.

Not saying I agree with ranking their staff over the Redskins (I don't), just trying to explain that it isn't as outlandish as it may seem on the surface.

There isn't a lot right now to make you want to take the Dolphins in this game as a road dog at just 3 points.

Cameron is a rookie head coach. Trent Green at 37 has missed much of the past 2 seasons with head injuries and recovery time. There are no explosive playmakers on the Dolphins offense to speak of.

On defense the club has played well in the past and is likely to be solid again in 2007. But I don't see this as being a 'shutdown' unit the way the Ravens or Jaguars seem to have the capability to be.

Keith Traylor is 37. Zach Thomas is 33. Jason Taylor is 32. Joey Porter is 31 and coming off an injury that has kept him out most of the preseason. His performance slipped in Pittsburgh the past year plus, that's why he was let go there.

Overall, you would have to say the Dolphins winning by 7 is a good bet to take if you are a Redskins fan.

There is no way in hell that dope Cameron Cameron is a better coach than any of our ASSISTANTS, let alone Gibbs. I'd also give us the edge at LBs(at worst its a push). Really the only true advantage should be DL and pass rushing. I'd say QB is a push.

On top of that there is not a chance on God's green Earth the Fins score 20 points on our Defense.

homefield advantage is also a key in this particular game. the Redskins are humbled by the poor season in 2006 and I am sure most of the returning players want to erase those memories in 2007 by starting off on the right foot, having something to prove.

I think the Dolphins are in for a surprise in the opener.

I would be surprised if the Fins score 20 plus points on this defense at home.

They obviously take the whole coaching staff into account. If you forget about Cameron for a moment, here's what you've got:

Dom Capers: 7 years as a head coach in the NFL with 2 different teams. Undoubtedly an excellent defensive mind, one of the top coordinators in the NFL today.

Mike Mularkey: 2 years experience as a head coach for the Bills. 9 years as a player in the NFL from '83 to '91. Steelers TE coach for 5 years, then offensive coordinator for the 3 years following. Steelers averaged 10+ wins during those 3 years.

Terry Robiskie: Has had brief stints as head coach for both the Skins and the Browns. Was also offensive coordinator for both teams for several years. Has 26 - yes, twenty-six - years experience coaching in the NFL.

Bobby Jackson: Has 20 years NFL coaching experience. Coached Terry Allen and Stephen Davis to some pretty damn good seasons, if you remember. Spent 3 years as the offensive coordinator for the Rams under Mike Martz.

Not saying I agree with ranking their staff over the Redskins (I don't), just trying to explain that it isn't as outlandish as it may seem on the surface.

The thing is, we counter with GW, Saunders, Bugel, and even Blache. If this comparison is a push, then we should look to the Cameron/Gibbs match-up to break the tie, and I think Gibbs wins this one by a mile.

I don't even care about their prediction or the fact that we ended up with more checks and still less points. The fact that this Freakin' bozo gave the miami coaching staff a check and completely dismissed out coaching staff pisses me off! I am really angry!!!

Did anyone else feel like ringing this guys neck? That prediction is unreal!

I think Ted Ginn takes one to the house on us.

Actually, I think Ted Ginn puts a ball on the ground for us.;)

BTW, new Dolphins head coach Cam Cameron was our QB coach from 1994-96. He coached up Gus Frerotte and Heath Shuler for us. He did have Trent Green as the 3rd stringer here, but he didn't do well until he left.

The Cameron touch on other players? He had Desmond Howard at Michigan, and also coached Antwaan Randle El and Todd Collins.

Read all about him here:

http://www.nfl.com/teams/miamidolphins/coaches?coaType=head&team=MIA

[Note to self: be wary in future of Cam Cameron coached players.]

The thing is, we counter with GW, Saunders, Bugel, and even Blache. If this comparison is a push, then we should look to the Cameron/Gibbs match-up to break the tie, and I think Gibbs wins this one by a mile.

I agree. TSN got this wrong, just like when they predicted we'd go 4-12 in 2005. It just seemed like there were quite a few people who were looking at the list, and without actually - gasp - thinking, they got hopped up on angry chat juice.

"They're saying that Cam Cameron is a better coach than Joe Gibbs?!?!?"

xenophobe.jpg

Archived