Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I know it's preseason but.......

skinsfan07

Our defense is the 2nd best in the NFL and allows a league low 8.3 points per game. Only 25 points have been scored on us! And we've scored 2 defensive TD's.

if our D can play this well during the season, as fans, we'll all be in for a treat.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?offensiveStatisticCategory=null&archive=false&defensiveStatisticCategory=TOUCHDOWNS&d-447263-o=1&conference=null&d-447263-s=TOTAL_POINTS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-n=1&seasonString=2007-PRE&Submit=Find&tabSeq=2&role=OPP&d-447263-p=1

A Nancy boy here will chime in that we've played two fewer quarters than any other team but Baltimore, and thus, our defensive stats are inflated and we were 5-11 last year. Be ready for it. Redskin fans have no business not making the most hysterical comments possible. Learn from this mistake.

I would be happier if our first team D was scoring or our first team offense.

That being said the D does look better. We need to get some pressure from our D-line or we will be exposed by a good QB.

Um, I have seen a lot of pressure from our line. Carter has gotten several good hits in there.

Um, I have seen a lot of pressure from our line. Carter has gotten several good hits in there.

You need to wake up and check that video again. There have been many third and whatever opportunities where the QB had a day and a half to throw the ball. Carter had a pressure last game cause he was going against a rookie LT who forgot to block him, but otherwise he was pretty much not there in terms of pressure. Sorry but I didn't see that pressure you speak of.

You need to wake up and check that video again. There have been many third and whatever opportunities where the QB had a day and a half to throw the ball. Carter had a pressure last game cause he was going against a rookie LT who forgot to block him, but otherwise he was pretty much not there in terms of pressure. Sorry but I didn't see that pressure you speak of.

Answer this question:

Has our D looked good or not?

Ahh, the impossibility of reason. The Ravens threw two or three passes more than 10 yards. You don't typically find yourself rolling through the QB who is as good as McNair at dumping the ball off. But, the BEST pressure defense in the WORLD will generate a sack or real, impacting pressure on the QB that impacts a play around 1 in 4 passes. That may actually be generous considering how many offenses remove all pressure opportunities with max protect when they are worried or short passes as an extension of the running game.

Ahh, the impossibility of reason. The Ravens threw two or three passes more than 10 yards. You don't typically find yourself rolling through the QB who is as good as McNair at dumping the ball off. But, the BEST pressure defense in the WORLD will generate a sack or real, impacting pressure on the QB that impacts a play around 1 in 4 passes. That may actually be generous considering how many offenses remove all pressure opportunities with max protect when they are worried or short passes as an extension of the running game.

But the Ravens problem was that they kept messing themselves up. There were like three drives in a row where they were facing third and 20 because of offsides penalties. On the next drive when these penalties didn't happen, we saw them getting stopped on first and second down and then on third down just picking apart our defense. If you're going to call McNair waiting all day in the pocket 'pressure' then go right ahead, but I saw, Carter in paricular, couldn't get past a rookie LT except that one play where the guy forgot to block him.

I saw it.

The 12th man had alot to do with the first quarter, when the Ravens started out of my side of the field it was false start after false start. The other side of the field however allowed them enough peace to march down and get a TD

How could it have been? The stands were far from filled.

We all saw what a dominating defense and a below average offense did for us in Gibbs' first season back as coach. We ended up finishing 6-10.

With that being said, I'm in no way taking shots at our offense. I think the offensive side of the ball is improved and a more capable scoring threat than it was in Gibbs' first season.

However, we need to take into consideration the fact that Campbell is still a work in progress, there is not a WR behind Moss who has given us enough confidence to believe that he will step up as a capable #2 receiver, Portis is an injury concern, the offensive line that is projected to start over the course of the season hasn't been on the field together developing cohesiveness yet this pre-season, and we have still not shown an ability to develop a killer instinct in the red zone offensively - a problem that has plagued this team since Gibbs' return.

While I desperately hope I'm wrong, I fully expect there to be some bumps in the road offensively over the early part of the season.

Part of the Washington Redskins' storyline this year in my opinion is how quickly the offense gets in stride/on par with the defense. I think that until the offense gets into full stride, the defense has to play lights out for us to win ball games. The good thing is, there has been evidence of Williams' unit being capable of doing so.

Obviously, the sooner we streamline our effectiveness on both sides of the ball, the better the chance that this team has towards the end of the season.

Answer this question:

Has our D looked good or not?

Our defense has tackled well, which is much more than I can say than last year. But we haven't gotten turnovers and we haven't gotten QB pressures. So I'm not too impressed. All I can think about is the fact that in 2005, we didn't get pressures or turnovers either and the defense was still good. But I don't want to be depending on the Blitz in order to get pressure. Why can't we have a front 4 that can get pressure like some of the other teams?

I don't think preseason games can give you bragging rights to second place in anything. But it certainly gives us hope that our gaping deficiencies on defense have improved significantly.

Too bad injuries are preventing us having a look at our real offense, but I have high hopes there too. With the preseason performance of our D, I have much more confidence in them than last year. And it has nothing to do with our preseason W/L record.

HTTR

Are you trying to jinx it?

Id consider it more important to just count our starting players performance so far. So far, thats 16 points allowed in 1 1/2 games(3 games, first half each). Pretty good, still comes out to around 10 ppg, my only concern is a lack of turnovers produced. Guess you cant be too picky, but would be nice.

I would be happier if our first team D was scoring or our first team offense.

That being said the D does look better. We need to get some pressure from our D-line or we will be exposed by a good QB.

I agree. I am alittle concern with the lack of sacks. Qb pressures okay.

Now if we can get JC, Samuels and CP healthy things may be all right.

Yes the defense looked good, BUT McNair had a QB rating over 100! Without Ogden and a rookie LT, they still did not give up a sack, despite being in long yardage situations throught the 1st quarter.

Offense is very weak: no running game, shaky pass protection,no second WR. How many offensiveTDs has this team scored?

I am worried. I had predicted 7-9, but we might be looking at 5-11 again.

:(

On how many of the third and long plays did the D send more than 4? It has been noted time and time again that the pressure provided by Williams' Defenses normally come from blitz packages...and there wasn't a whole lot of blitzing going on. I know, I know...everyone wants the front 4 to be able to get through 6 or 7 guys and sack the quarterback. But, for those of you who can do math, that is at least 1.5 offensive linemen per 1 defender. When there is no pressure coming from other places to confuse the line and get them worried about what may be happening, the sacks just aren't going to happen. Would it be great if we had an all-world D-Line who could create pressure with just the front 4? Sure. But, we don't. And rather than show all of the blitz packages that have been installed this year to give other teams film, Williams has stayed with a pretty basic scheme. Don't worry. Every little thing...its gonna be all right.

I think our offense will definitely need some time to gel, but our defense definitely looks like it's going to be a top squad in the NFL. I'm not too worried about not getting pressure on the QB, because in previous years we were able to get pressure more with LB and DB blitzes. As long as our front four holds its own against the run, then our blitzing will create the pressure necessary for QBs to make mistakes.

Archived