Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC Blog--Collins will start

sjnjr

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Gibbs said that Collins will start Saturday and Mark Burnell will go second as the Qbs, but said they had already set that rotation and not to read into it. Said Mark was already set to be the third guy - now the second guy - this week and Brunell would have already been the guy playing the most in Jacksonville (Mark was The Man there for a long time so maybe they decided to do that for him a while back)

Interesting to see Collins start! I am excited to see what he will do. If he has another good game, making it his 3rd straight, I think he will announce he is our backup, regardless what he does in the 4th game.

I think Gibbs is realizing the short/safe passes by Brunell is not going to win games anymore. However, I still do not want to cut either guy. I think carry both one more year and then bring Palmer onto the roster next year as the 3rd. Having that year under his belt will make for night and day next year.

Gibbs isn't going to outright say that a guy who hasn't been in our camp is going to start

Of course he will. However, why say it and end any level of competition?

It's funny how Gibbs is downplaying the trade for Kendall. Kendall will be our starting guard this season, otherwise the threshold for the conditional pick (80% starting time) would have been much lower.
Gibbs thinks the fans, media, and the rest of the NFL are idiots. We all know at the very least the guy is going to COMPETE for the starting LG spot. Hopefully Buges won't let his pride get in the way of what's best for the redskins.

Gibbs isn't going to outright say that a guy who hasn't been in our camp is going to start

Of course he will. However, why say it and end any level of competition?

Bingo. Certainly, you'd think that he probably will start at guard, but he isn't even in camp yet. Once he goes out there and picks up on what the team does, then maybe you'd hear more about him starting.

Jason

I thinkd this is the best thing to do. Let Todd Collins start and see what he can accomplish against a top 5 defense in the Ravens. We already know what old man Brunell can do. In football years Todd Collins is like a 3rd year player lololol. I'm interested to see how Collins runs HIS offense, he knows it just as well as Saunders. Ill be there to witness it, still mad I won't get to see Campbell tho

"I do know this - it doesn't make any sense to trade for an aging starting guard, when you have a serious void at left guard, pay him $5 million and then put him on the bench behind guys who are not ready to start at this level. And surely it doesn't make any sense to take a guy who spent most of his 12 year career at left guard and start him ahead of Jansen, Samuels, Rabach or Thomas ... so draw you're own conclusions."

I thought we were increasing his initial pay raise to 1 million which increased it to 2.4 million. Unless, he is including the next year's salary also?

"I do know this - it doesn't make any sense to trade for an aging starting guard, when you have a serious void at left guard, pay him $5 million and then put him on the bench behind guys who are not ready to start at this level. And surely it doesn't make any sense to take a guy who spent most of his 12 year career at left guard and start him ahead of Jansen, Samuels, Rabach or Thomas ... so draw you're own conclusions."

I thought we were increasing his initial pay raise to 1 million which increased it to 2.4 million. Unless, he is including the next year's salary also?

I am assuming he is just rolling the whole contract into the $5 mill.

It's funny how Gibbs is downplaying the trade for Kendall. Kendall will be our starting guard this season, otherwise the threshold for the conditional pick (80% starting time) would have been much lower.

Good point. A big question is how soon does he crack the starting lineup. One way to crytal ball gaze is to look at the conditional threshold of 80% of the offensive plays (not 80% of the starts.). He would need to start playing 2.3 games into the regular season. Sounds about right to me.

One would think.

He's going to start at guard. If he is not going to start at guard' date=' why on earth is he here?[/quote']

It is called the uncertainty principal. He's not here yet and hasn't practiced with our guys. Until then, you can't call him anything other than an experienced guy we are adding to the roster via trade.

I have no doubts that he probably will be our starter, but until he's worked out and acclimated to what we do, it is kinda hard to call him a starter yet.

Jason

I think Gibbs is downplaying Kendall's arrival as a way to appease Todd Wade, by indicating to the media that there is still a legitimate competition for the position. Considering the state of the tackle position around the league, Wade's decision to remain in Washington instead of going elsewhere probably had something to do with the opportunity to win the starting LG spot in DC.

It is called the uncertainty principal. He's not here yet and hasn't practiced with our guys. Until then, you can't call him anything other than an experienced guy we are adding to the roster via trade.

I have no doubts that he probably will be our starter, but until he's worked out and acclimated to what we do, it is kinda hard to call him a starter yet.

Jason

That's a very zen approach.

Here's what I got from Joe's comments:

1. Kendall was acquired to start at LG because Jason Campbell was nearly lost for the season against the Steelers.

2. Todd Collins is now the #2 QB.

3. Wade will move back to Tackle.

Joe's not fooling anybody by being so evasive about things that are obvious to the players, the Press, and the fans. No, these things haven't happened yet, but you can bet that's the plan.

Archived