Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Interesting topic in a couple of reporter blogs.

Art

So I think it was Elfin and Keim who wrote that the Redskins cut Marshall and buried it in the last line of a press release while the Eagles cut Trotter and had a hug fest, press conference and quotes from coaches and everything else.

Elfin, I believe, had a factual error in his lead to this stating both teams cut starters when Marshall is not currently a starter, but, I wondered about this. The Redskins do have a story on Marshall's release on their front and Gibbs did speak about it in his press conference. The Eagles actually hosted a conference and four of their five stories on their front are Trotter related.

One on his release. One on his replacement. One from Dawkins fawning over him. One Spikes blog. All with some reference to Trotter. Obviously both teams have dealt with the release of linebackers differently. The topic I wonder about is whether Marshall deserved more.

Marshall was an unknown, undrafted player who filled in surprisingly well in 2004, played really well for Pierce in 2005 and had obvious struggles last year. He was a good locker room guy. The press never really went to him. He was not a team spokesman or leader. In the locker room after games, no one ever was around him, save me.

Trotter was a super stud and team leader. He was a fan favorite. He was a guy the media went to. He was a respected leader in the locker room. His play was largely what defined the Eagles. He was a Pro Bowler. Trotter is national news. Where Marshall is on the crawl at the bottom of your screen.

Should we have done more for him in his departure, or is there simply a bigger difference in the two that might explain why one was more prominent than the other. I tend to think Marshall might have deserved more. Maybe a direct comment from Williams perhaps. Not sure he needed a presser.

Though, part of me finds it a bit of a stretch for the local media that had little to do with him to question why he wasn't treated like media God Trotter in Philly. If our guys ever paid him the attention Trot was paid up there, this would be a bigger story.

Anyway, what do you think?

Come on Art....there is a HUGE difference between what

Trotter meant to the Eagles over his career and what Marshall has meant to the Skins. Trotter was a 4 time Pro Bowl player and the face of that defense along with Dawkins. Philly fans had a HUGE man crush on the guy. Marshall had a couple good years at best. He was not a leader of the team; he was not the face of the defense; his jersey was not one of the most popular among fans; heck, most fans hardly knew who he was, except us die hards.

I like Marshall and he gave us some good years but the adulation for Trotter is appropriate and understanding. Marshall's good bye is business. A linebacker who over achieved for a few years but is of little use to the Skins this year. I hope, and expect, Marshall will play a few more years in this league. But he deserved nothing more than what he or any other aging vet gets in this game.

:2cents:

Come on Art....there is a HUGE difference between what

Trotter meant to the Eagles over his career and what Marshall has meant to the Skins. Trotter was a 4 time Pro Bowl player and the face of that defense along with Dawkins. Philly fans had a HUGE man crush on the guy. Marshall had a couple good years at best. He was not a leader of the team; he was not the face of the defense; his jersey was not one of the most popular among fans; heck, most fans hardly knew who he was, except us die hards.

I like Marshall and he gave us some good years but the adulation for Trotter is appropriate and understanding. Marshall's good bye is business. A linebacker who over achieved for a few years but is of little use to the Skins this year. I hope, and expect, Marshall will play a few more years in this league. But he deserved nothing more than what he or any other aging vet gets in this game.

:2cents:

I completely understand your point and agree. There is no real comparison between the two. The blogs were an effort to slight the organization. While it's less successful than it could have been largely because the media itself never made Marshall a key element for us until he's released, I do think you can express a bit more gratitude for what he did for you at the end than we did.

From a class and people perspective, that seems like it could have been a good idea is all. Obviously Trotter is an entirely different level of player and gets more pub in everything.

Frankly, I think that just proves what a horrible sports journalist Elfin is. He should be cut, too! :D

I think highly of Marshall which I posted my thoughts about him in another thread. How can one not appreciate/like an underdog who worked his butt and mind off to make the defense better. He did everything he was asked to do and was able to perform well for a couple years but the lack of talent caused his weaknesses to be shown. I hope, and expect, he will catch on with another team. He's got enough talent to play a few more years; maybe even as a starter for a weak defense. I certainly wish him luck.

It seems the local media just hates Snyder and creates ways to slam him or the Skins whenever possible. Maybe someone should write a piece that praises a deep LB corps. :rolleyes:

In reality the team has better things to do, prepare for the season, maybe?!, than gush over a guy who didn't make the squad.

Marshall was an afterthought. At weakside linebacker, middle linebacker and linebacker, period! Trotter was a probowl linebacker on a superbowl team. Hard to equate the two.

No surprise Marshall was an afterthought in the news.

The only surprising thing is that you were drawn to him in the locker room......... Surprising, and a little creepy! :laugh:

Isn't it silly to hold a big ceremony over someone getting cut? Perhaps it was the Eagles treating Trotter's cut more like a retirement... and the Redskins cut Marshall in order to hope that he has time to catch on with another team... I don't think you can compare them. I think some of us are unfairly thinking about players role and relationship with the team. The Redskins organization gave him a chance as a UDFA to play football in the NFL. Marshall gave his all to this team when he was here, and that's all we can ask for. There are probably 50 decisions that get made in the course of building up and then cutting down NFL rosters... I just can't see a ceremony even making someone feel better. Would you want your job to hold a party in your honor and speak highly of you if they just fired you?

The media is going to find a way to slight the skins no matter what, even something as inane as the release of a non starting linebacker who never made the pro bowl.

Don't get me wrong, I like Marshall, sad to see him go and I hope he catches on somewhere else.

But the media has a narcissisitic need to poke Dan & the fans anyway they can.

No quote from Joe Gibbs....

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=1482

Head coach Joe Gibbs said on Tuesday that coaches were impressed with some of its young linebackers. So they opted to release Marshall now so that he could have enough time to land a job with another team.

"We had some other guys who we felt like we were coming through for us," Gibbs said. :Lemar has done a lot for us. We kind of made up our mind that we would go in a different direction, and now he has a chance to play with [another team].

Gibbs added: "Lemar is a high-quality guy and he has meant a lot to us."

I was thinking about this before while watching ESPNews.

Trotter was one of their big NFL stories. Trotter's release was on the "bottom line" under NFL.

Marshall's release wasn't even mentioned, yet it's news that Seneca Wallace signed a three year extension with the Seahawks?

This is not a case of the Redskins getting slighted by the media, either. It's just a reminder that backups get cut during training camp every day, and this move isn't the big deal that all the doomsayers say it is......

Marshall looked bad Saturday night. I don't know what it was, but his motor was blown, he couldn't wrap up, and he just looked like he didn't want to be out there. It was if he knew how to get to the play/point of attack but didn't explode or finish when he got there. The only reason I mention the previous stuff is that something seemed amiss, and I wasn't surprised when I heard that we let him go. He did so well for us in 04 and 05. I'm confused a bit, but I guess it must have been something internal, or maybe he was being out played by others who are going to make the team. Maybe he wanted to explore his options elsewhere. My guess is he didn't want to play the backup role. He was quiet and didn't say much to the media from what I could tell, and he was fighting for a backup spot this year so I'm not surprised there weren't any more farewells other than what he received when the team announced his release. :2cents:

HTTR

Am I a sucker for thinking it's a nice gesture when they cut the guy loose early rather than later so he can catch on with another team? That goes against the calculating reality of the game, where you would hold onto your best guys as long as possible through the preseason in case injuries to others make them less expendable.

Or is the "We let him go early so he can catch on somehwere else" just window dressing and lip service?

The last regular season game. I think Marshall was the starter, and that's how I read it.

The Eagles also told T.O. they don't celebrate individual milestones. But, they had Fryer ride off the field on a motorcycle. So, they lied about that.

The thing I remember a few days after the Pats/Eagles superbowl, was somebody from the Pats saying at halftime they decided to go AT Trotter because he overshot the play so often, and it worked. They got a lot of yards on the ground in the 2nd half, and won.

I think releasing Marshall was a mistake. He wasn't expensive, he wasn't a cancer in the lockerroom. He could have been very useful if rotated in during the game.

Originally posted by ART:

"Elfin, I believe, had a factual error in his lead to this stating both teams cut starters when Marshall is not currently a starter, but, I wondered about this. The Redskins do have a story on Marshall's release on their front and Gibbs did speak about it in his press conference. The Eagles actually hosted a conference and four of their five stories on their front are Trotter related."

ART ART ART.......come on. You say that Marshall is currently not a starter,well guess what, Trotter isn't either. The last time a season started, both these guys were STARTERS. Thats the point. Now both are cut 1 year later..... because neither guy was standing out in preseason and other guys were. Their situations were the same in that respect.

Does anyone (talking to the reporters here) remember the animosity the first time Trotter left Philly? Hence the kissing his butt this time. If Marshall came back to Washington, helped lead the team to division titles and became a fan favorite the way Cooley is, then the Skins would give Marshall a nice send off.

Also, ask those reporters how the Patriots dumped, I think it was Laywer Milloy a few years ago. It didn't make them any less of an organization. They won the Super Bowl the next two years.

Am I a sucker for thinking it's a nice gesture when they cut the guy loose early rather than later so he can catch on with another team? That goes against the calculating reality of the game, where you would hold onto your best guys as long as possible through the preseason in case injuries to others make them less expendable.

Or is the "We let him go early so he can catch on somehwere else" just window dressing and lip service?

Usually, when a team does that, the player in question is out of the team's plan. At that point, why keep him around if all he can expect is to get cut?

Also, it allows you to bring in another player at that position, which is what they did with Godfrey.

Jason

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=1482

Head coach Joe Gibbs said on Tuesday that coaches were impressed with some of its young linebackers. So they opted to release Marshall now so that he could have enough time to land a job with another team.

"We had some other guys who we felt like we were coming through for us," Gibbs said. :Lemar has done a lot for us. We kind of made up our mind that we would go in a different direction, and now he has a chance to play with [another team].

Gibbs added: "Lemar is a high-quality guy and he has meant a lot to us."

That takes care of the situation for me. I would not have expected more.

Archived