Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official team release on Godfrey, Marshall.

Art

Remember that post yesterday when I said I liked our depth at LB?

I rescind that.

If the guy I thought was our #1 backup just got cut' date=' something is amiss.[/quote']

Or possibly it is a very good sign that the team felt they were fine without the guy YOU THOUGHT was our #1 backup. Maybe it's a sign that the team is very happy with Blades, Sartz and Trucks. Watching London Fletcher this preseason has really opened my eyes as to how ineffective Marshall was last year. Add that and the fact that Marshall looked just as bad in the two preseason games and the scrimmage and it sealed his fate. I will admit I am surprised that he was released, particularly this early, but with Washington's injury we needed a player who could play the SLB and that clearly isn't Marshall. I respect Marshall for the one really good year he had in 2004 and the serviceable year he had in 2005 but all this hand-wringing is comical.

some things never change....

i hate this move...i dont care if we picked up brian urlacher....the moral of the team is hurt when you just let guys go like this (value other teams players over your own)

**** GW for gettin rid of core guys

Exactly in what way does Lemar's release hurt the moral of the team besides his age at the position?

No' date=' it doesn't tell us that at all. If the staff thought that the young kids were up to the task, they would not have brought in Godfrey.

Godfrey is coming here to play, not to be camp filler.[/quote']

Godfrey is coming in here to take Washington's place if he isn't ready to go or continues to be hampered by his elbow injury.

I think they are looking for some depth at strongside. LM doesn't play at that spot, I do believe he is best suited for the Weakside, and would assume that Dallas Sartz has shown them enough.

The sky isn't falling yet, at least wait until game 4 of the regular season to get your panties in a twist.

No' date=' it doesn't tell us that at all. If the staff thought that the young kids were up to the task, they would not have brought in Godfrey.

Godfrey is coming here to play, not to be camp filler.[/quote']

Does Godfrey play middle linebacker? San Diego plays a 3-4. He was an ILB, which is a different position than a 4-3 middle linebacker. So is he here to fill in until Marcus heals or to back up Fletcher?

Blades has been listed as second string behind Fletcher. Lemar was listed as an OLB.

Does Godfrey play middle linebacker? San Diego plays a 3-4. He was an ILB, which is a different position than a 4-3 middle linebacker. So is he here to fill in until Marcus heals or to back up Fletcher?

Blades has been listed as second string behind Fletcher. Lemar was listed as an OLB.

I think Godfrey can play either inside or outside. He's certainly big enough to be a MLB. And he's play OLB in the past. I view him as a bigger Marshall.

So, I don't really view this as Marshall being cut. He is being replaced. There is a subtle difference, particularly if you are one of the other LBs trying to make the team.

Exactly in what way does Lemar's release hurt the moral of the team besides his age at the position?

Actually, I think this may be more of a message cut. That is, the coaching staff is sending the message to the team that nobody is safe and you need to work your ass of to be on the team. I believe Doc Walker in one of his interviews here some time ago made mention of the fact that in Gibbs' first go round he was not averse to doing just that, cutting a player people thought was OK because he wasn't up to snuff and it would make everyone else (well almost everyone else, with a few notable exceptions) on the team fear for their jobs and work harder (as they should). The staff obviously thought with the play of some of the young guys they could afford to get rid of someone who wasn't getting it done. Godfrey is being brought in as someone who was a good player that can in the short term fill in while acting as a player/coach for some of the younger LBs. He may be here a year or not even make the final roster. The cutting of Marshall to me is a positive sign in that we have talent and youth at linebacker that is up and coming.

One thing this move tells us is that the staff believes they have a winner in Blades. There's no way they would have cut Lemar if they had any doubts about Blades' ability to back up Fletcher. So the Skins' front office can take a bow for finding Blades with a relatively low draft pick.

No they can't take a bow! You know why? Cause they SUCK! All the amazing armchair GMs in here will tell you that!

;)

I think Godfrey can play either inside or outside. He's certainly big enough to be a MLB. And he's play OLB in the past. I view him as a bigger Marshall.

So' date=' I don't really view this as Marshall being cut. He is being replaced. There is a subtle difference, particularly if you are one of the other LBs trying to make the team.[/quote']

I see your point, but I also can't picture them releasing Marshall - last year's starting middle linebacker - if they didn't feel like Blades was a keeper and capable of filling in should the need arise.

Actually, I think this may be more of a message cut. That is, the coaching staff is sending the message to the team that nobody is safe and you need to work your ass of to be on the team.

I'm going to find that thread about "Who will be the most surprising cut" and see if anybody mentioned Lemar Marshall. Without looking, I'll bet a box of doughnuts nobody did. . .

Or possibly it is a very good sign that the team felt they were fine without the guy YOU THOUGHT was our #1 backup. Maybe it's a sign that the team is very happy with Blades, Sartz and Trucks. Watching London Fletcher this preseason has really opened my eyes as to how ineffective Marshall was last year. Add that and the fact that Marshall looked just as bad in the two preseason games and the scrimmage and it sealed his fate. I will admit I am surprised that he was released, particularly this early, but with Washington's injury we needed a player who could play the SLB and that clearly isn't Marshall. I respect Marshall for the one really good year he had in 2004 and the serviceable year he had in 2005 but all this hand-wringing is comical.

The funny thing is that in the second half, marshal was being pointed out for nothing positive while Blades and Trucks where making plays. Wonder why he was the one cut? I don't understand the loyalty to underachieving vets when there are younger, better, and cheaper players showing promise. In order to build from within, you have to give those guys a chance to make the roster and play. Plain as that.

Marshall was to small to play linebacker. With the Marshall release and holdman release the redskins are alot better at linebacker than last year. Linebcking was the major reason redskins could not stop the run last year. Marshall and Holdman was washed out of every play

The funny thing is that in the second half, marshal was being pointed out for nothing positive while Blades and Trucks where making plays. Wonder why he was the one cut? I don't understand the loyalty to underachieving vets when there are younger, better, and cheaper players showing promise. In order to build from within, you have to give those guys a chance to make the roster and play. Plain as that.

I was thinking the same thing about Marshall watching the game. I like most people here expected Marshall to be an effective backup considering he had started at two differenct LB positions but even against 2nd and 3rd teamers he was getting trucked. Needless to say it was extremely disappointing.

Lamar played 5 years in washington...

Giving the rep of this franchise...it is not ok that they are replacing regulars on this defense with guys from around the NFL...we got Fletcher, which was great...more importantly none of the regulars had to leave to get him..

we got rid of pierce, smoot, clark, stoutmire, and Marshall

they all did their jobs well...

MOST IMPORTANTLY....Godfrey is not a Redskin, Lamar Marshal is:logo:

MOST IMPORTANTLY....Godfrey is not a Redskin, Lamar Marshal is:logo:

Warrick Holdman was a Redskins who played poorly last year as well. Should we have kept him? Losing a player because you don't want to pay a higher salary is one thing (Pierce, Dockery, Smoot) but letting a guy go because you don't believe he can do the job anymore is completely different.

Pure Speculation

Does anyone see these moves a precursor to signing Lance Briggs next year?

Could this move be pointing in the direction that we may use the 3-4 defense next year more often?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marshall was a good role player, but apparently the coaching staff saw more in Godfrey.

I'm going to find that thread about "Who will be the most surprising cut" and see if anybody mentioned Lemar Marshall. Without looking, I'll bet a box of doughnuts nobody did. . .

Heh. I was thinking the same thing. The problem is, the people who were being brought up in that thread weren't really all THAT surprising.

Jason

So are we only signing short people to play LB for us? This shows that we're definitely pushing all of our chips into the center of the table for this season.

Godfrey is 6'2, I'd hardly consider him short. Wasn't Lemar Marshall 6'1? BTW I hope this number 57 is a roadblock instead of an express way.

Godfrey won't even make the team this late in camp.

What an utter waste of a good back-up like Lemar, who knows the system and could contribute valuable minutes.

He's probably already headed to New York...****s.

This is going to look awfully stupid when Rocky's knee flares up again.

I disagree with you about Godfrey making the team; of course he will. He knows GW's defensive schemes. It just a matter of getting him in football shape.

Archived