Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official team release on Godfrey, Marshall.

Art

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

August 21, 2007

REDSKINS SIGN LB RANDALL GODFREY AND WR JEREL MYERS

Ashburn, VA - The Washington Redskins announce today that they have signed free agent veteran linebacker Randall Godfrey and free agent wide receiver Jerel Myers.

Terms of the deals are not disclosed.

Godfrey, 6-2, 245, is an 11-year veteran having spent the past three seasons in San Diego. Last year he played and started in 13 games for the Chargers and recorded 58 total tackles, four sacks and two forced fumbles. He also started their playoff game against New England (Jan. 14, 2007).

Godfrey was a second-round draft selection (49th overall) by Dallas in 1996 and spent the first four years of his career with the Cowboys. He spent three years in Tennessee (2000-2003) before making a stop in Seattle for the 2003 season and then joined the Chargers in 2004. For his career, he has played in 159 games with 145 starts and recorded 834 total tackles, including 634 solo stops, 17 sacks, 17 forced fumbles, and six interceptions. Godfrey played his college football at the University of Georgia with current Redskins defensive end Phillip Daniels.

Godfrey will wear #57.

Myers, 5-11, 180 joins the Redskins from the Arena Football League where he spent the past two seasons with the Kansas City Brigade. Myers was a four-year starter in college for LSU and left the Tigers as the fourth ranked receiver in school history with 149 career receptions and his 1,843 career receiving yards ranked eighth in school history. He graduated LSU in December 2002 and spent portions of the 2003 and 2004 seasons with the Buffalo Bills. Myers played for the B.C. Lions of the CFL in 2005 before making the move to the AFL in 2006.

Myers will wear #13.

In addition, the Redskins announce that they have released LB Lemar Marshall.

Godfrey won't even make the team this late in camp.

What an utter waste of a good back-up like Lemar, who knows the system and could contribute valuable minutes.

He's probably already headed to New York...****s.

This is going to look awfully stupid when Rocky's knee flares up again.

Get off the Marshall bandwagon. He led our team to the WORST DEFENSE EVER last year. We should have been ashamed that he was on our team, but us Skins fans are loyal to a fault. Our defense has looked GREAT out there this preseason, and I for one like whatever track we're on.

Keep it up GW, see ya later Lemar. Go suck it up elsewhere.

Well they must feel H.B has the backup spot locked up. They also must feel that Marshall has lost a step and was never a sound tackler to begin with. I think they cut him now, so he can find a job sooner instead of being stuck with nothing once the season is here.

I'm no football expert...but is this wise?

Well, if they felt that Marshall wasn't playing up to par, then maybe it is.

We'll probably see a lot of Godfrey on Saturday with Washington out. I wonder who is going to start in Washington's place. Campbell? I know he was the first one in when Washington went down.

Jason

Im on the fence on this move. I liked marshalls intensity, but his poor tackling was the bane of him.

I liked Lemar too but LBs who have trouble tackling

kinda like a slow running back who is strong or a fast WR who cant catch...just not what you what or need to be successful in the NFL

NNT for Art

http://extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207461

:laugh:

Godfrey is wearing 57?!?!? :doh:

The other thread is based of a pft blurb of and ESPN announcements (different news source). The OP in that thread even asks "is this real?" given the shakiness of pft. Art is posting the official release confirming the story. :)

He's too slippery to catch that easy.

Archived