Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official team release on Godfrey, Marshall.

Art

Not only was Marshall bad as the MLB last year, he has been terrible this preseason. I know most of you stop paying attention once the starters are out but I don't. I have watched every minute of the redskins' preseason and Marshall has looked terrible...exactly where he finished off last year.

Secondly, don't you guys think his performance also has something to do with his morale? His morale has to be at an all-time low with the way the defense now looks without him in there. The FO did a great job IMO.

While I am surprised I suspect that the coaches think that Godfrey is better than Marshall. I do not know Godfrey; but a previous poster said that he has seen him play and that he is a better tackler. That is good enough for me.

I think that the coaches think that our newly drafted rookie LBs will be good and thus Godfrey's age is not too relevant. I'm looking forward to seeing him in action.

Yup....terrible move to cut an aging backup linebacker who has not played average to above average in over a year.

Funny how teams like Philly get called "great" organizations and can cut a solid player like Trotter who just two years ago was playing at a high level but we can a backup 31 year old linebacker and we're a laughing stock amongst our own fans.

well Godfrey is a solid vet in the middle who can probably play the strong side which Lemar really couldn't do and plus he knows the system, having played for Gregg Williams in Tennessee. Marshall was a good leader, but he was not a particularly good tackler. The emergence of McIntosh and Blades allowed them to take a chance by releasing Lemar.

Hopefully he doesn't end up in the division.

EDIT: Godfrey had the best year of his career in the one season he played for Gregg Williams in Tennessee.

Funny how teams like Philly get called "great" organizations and can cut a solid player like Trotter who just two years ago was playing at a high level but we can a backup 31 year old linebacker and we're a laughing stock amongst our own fans.

Philly generally gets a pass on moves like this because they always seem to have a plan in place. They knew they wanted to replace Trotter at the beginning of camp. They had the player in mind. They went through the process. They pulled the trigger.

The Skins entered camp with the plan being that Marshall was the #1 backup at all three positions. Three weeks in, that plan was scrapped and we are bringing in someone off the street.

I actually don't have a huge problem with this from a personnel standpoint, because Godfrey probably is a better LB than Marshall.

Where I get concerned is with the flailing around looking for bodies. Bring in Bradford, Pinkston, and Godfrey produces a whif of desperation.

This move is absolutely ridiculous. Marshall was one of the most versatile linebackers on this team. While I firmly believe he is not starter material, he was a solid backup and a player who kept his mouth shut and played football. Remember folks, he led the team in picks (4) and was third in sacks (4.5) in 05 at an unnatural position for him. Yeah 06 was a slip, but our dline was atrocious at best. Just ask Baltimore and Chicago LB's what a slack year by the dline will do for your year. (Here is a hint, LB's aren't equipped to shed Olinemen on every play, Football 101)

Plus, he started 2 years on a backup contract, never held out and never barked to the press! You can't tell me the other bums in the LB core were doing any better. I mean Matt Sinclair has been bounced around by three teams already! Anthony Trucks couldn't even make a team competing with Ryan Nece and Jamie Winborn!

Please don't give me that preseason performance crap either, 7 snaps in the first game and limited snaps in the second game doesn't provide much insight. The only team that looked like anything was our first group. Which obivously showed Fletcher as a better Mike. I'm just sick of how this team can't get any cohesion because management just deepfries everyone. :doh: Ok I'm done. Just really concerned about our defensive depth and how it relates to our success.

Philly generally gets a pass on moves like this because they always seem to have a plan in place. They knew they wanted to replace Trotter at the beginning of camp. They had the player in mind. They went through the process. They pulled the trigger.

The Skins entered camp with the plan being that Marshall was the #1 backup at all three positions. Three weeks in' date=' that plan was scrapped and we are bringing in someone off the street.

I actually don't have a huge problem with this from a personnel standpoint, because Godfrey probably is a better LB than Marshall.

Where I get concerned is with the flailing around looking for bodies. Bring in Bradford, Pinkston, and Godfrey produces a whif of desperation.[/quote']

Marshall was a #1 backup going into the preseason according to whom? Also, the staff grades every player maybe, just maybe he graded out terribly. Don't get me wrong, I think Marshall was a stand up player here who did all he could do with minimal talent, but I think we too had a plan here by brining in two linebackers on draft day.

Somehow, I figured Lemar was younger than he is. I was surprised to see he's going on 31. Still, I wonder if there's more to this than meets the eye. At the least, as others have mentioned, he may have been let go early as a courtesy so he could try to catch on somewhere else. But why cut a versatile, overachieving player who can back up two of three LB positions? What happened that caused this all of a sudden?

Marshall was a #1 backup going into the preseason according to whom? Also, the staff grades every player maybe, just maybe he graded out terribly.

The Depth Chart.

I really can't believe that he was behind Blades and Campbell at the start of August.

Also, if he was cut because he lost a competition, they would not be bringing in a replacement. He was cut and there is no replacement. That's why Godfrey is here.

Yup....terrible move to cut an aging backup linebacker who has not played average to above average in over a year.

I think it might have to do with most of us fans liking the guy. Not only his play.

The Skins entered camp with the plan being that Marshall was the #1 backup at all three positions. Three weeks in' date=' that plan was scrapped and we are bringing in someone off the street.

Where I get concerned is with the flailing around looking for bodies. Bring in Bradford, Pinkston, and Godfrey produces a whif of desperation.[/quote']

One thing this move tells us is that the staff believes they have a winner in Blades. There's no way they would have cut Lemar if they had any doubts about Blades' ability to back up Fletcher. So the Skins' front office can take a bow for finding Blades with a relatively low draft pick.

This move is absolutely ridiculous. Marshall was one of the most versatile linebackers on this team. While I firmly believe he is not starter material, he was a solid backup and a player who kept his mouth shut and played football. Remember folks, he led the team in picks (4) and was third in sacks (4.5) in 05 at an unnatural position for him. Yeah 06 was a slip, but our dline was atrocious at best. Just ask Baltimore and Chicago LB's what a slack year by the dline will do for your year. (Here is a hint, LB's aren't equipped to shed Olinemen on every play, Football 101)

Plus, he started 2 years on a backup contract, never held out and never barked to the press! You can't tell me the other bums in the LB core were doing any better. I mean Matt Sinclair has been bounced around by three teams already! Anthony Trucks couldn't even make a team competing with Ryan Nece and Jamie Winborn!

Please don't give me that preseason performance crap either, 7 snaps in the first game and limited snaps in the second game doesn't provide much insight. The only team that looked like anything was our first group. Which obivously showed Fletcher as a better Mike. I'm just sick of how this team can't get any cohesion because management just deepfries everyone. :doh: Ok I'm done. Just really concerned about our defensive depth and how it relates to our success.

That basically sums it up right there...06 was a slip and in 07 he falls further behind. Just trust the coaches.

One thing this move tells us is that the staff believes they have a winner in Blades. There's no way they would have cut Lemar if they had any doubts about Blades' ability to back up Fletcher. So the Skins' front office can take a bow for finding Blades with a relatively low draft pick.

No, it doesn't tell us that at all. If the staff thought that the young kids were up to the task, they would not have brought in Godfrey.

Godfrey is coming here to play, not to be camp filler.

The Depth Chart.

I really can't believe that he was behind Blades and Campbell at the start of August.

Why not? Blades has shown a whole lot more than Marshall in the outings that I have watched and when you mention Khary Campbell you also have to consider that he's one of our special teams aces.

Also please consider following:

http://washingtontimes.com/article/20070819/SPORTS01/108190066/1005/SPORTS

Linebacker Khary Campbell suffered a season-ending knee injury in the ninth game of 2004' date=' his first in Washington. Every spring since, the Redskins have drafted two linebackers to threaten his job. In 2005, it was Robert McCune and Jared Newberry. In 2006, it was Rocky McIntosh and Kevin Simon. This year it was Dallas Sartz and H.B. Blades.

And yet, Campbell not only survives, he thrives. In 2005, Campbell led the special teams with 34 tackles. Last season, Campbell did it again with 37 despite missing the finale with a tender hamstring. While McIntosh is starting, McCune, Newberry and Simon are long gone. So Campbell didn't worry when outside backer Sartz was chosen in the fifth round in April and middle man Blades in the sixth.

Photo Gallery: Redskins vs Steelers

"It happens every year," said Campbell, 28. "It's part of the job. Coach [Joe'] Gibbs called and said they wanted to get depth at the position and it was nothing against me."

The only effect the arrivals of Sartz and Blades have had on Campbell is to give him more snaps at the two outside spots. Campbell worked mostly in the middle last year as he was the only true alternative to starter Lemar Marshall. With the signing of London Fletcher, Marshall is now the leading reserve, but Campbell is next in the pecking order ahead of the rookies, one of whom figures to be cut.

"We tried to give Khary more snaps outside because he had so many in the middle last year," said assistant head coach/defense Gregg Williams. "The more you can do, the better you are. Khary's a smart football player. We're just getting ready for the inevitable [injuries]. Whomever we have to throw in there, we don't want to feel like he's not ready to go. We want to throw in the next-best athlete as opposed to the next guy on the depth chart."

Seems to me like the coaching staff is pretty high on Campbell, and it's hard to argue that Campbell isn't the more athletic and explosive than Marshall.

some things never change....

i hate this move...i dont care if we picked up brian urlacher....the moral of the team is hurt when you just let guys go like this (value other teams players over your own)

**** GW for gettin rid of core guys

Archived