Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official team release on Godfrey, Marshall.

Art

Story on Godfrey

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20070430/news_1s30chnotes.html

Godfrey out as result of drafted LBs

By Kevin Acee

STAFF WRITER

April 30, 2007

After drafting two linebackers this weekend, the Chargers officially parted ways with linebacker Randall Godfrey, notifying the player's agent last night that their contract offer was no longer on the table.

Reached last night shortly after returning from a fishing trip, Godfrey said he and the Chargers could not agree on financial terms.

“I'm at the point in my career where what I want is a fair deal,” Godfrey said. “I don't have any bad feelings with A.J. (Smith) or Ed McGuire. I'm going to pick up the pieces and move on.”

Click link above to read the entire article...

This seems bizarre, I really doubt that Godfrey is better than Marshall, I guess they though Lemar was the odd man out in the LB group and are giving him time to find another team, I wish the best of luck to him.

Guys, we've got some serious issues.

To get rid of a linebacker who had a stellar year in 2005 but underperformed in 2006 just like everyone, someone who knows the system and has been a above average special teamer I think is absurd!

I am in agreement, don't think the GMen or the Iggles are on the phone with his agent right now.

We've got offensive line problems, we dont' have a reciever out side of Santana Moss who has proven himself, Clinton Potis is out and we have yet to run the ball for over 3 yards a carry this preseason.

I've got to wonder what the FO is thinking. Right now, I don't think we are prepared for the season and I hate to say this but I think it's too late in the game to be adding depth in important places like the O-line.

I gotta say guys, I'm more than a little worried about this season.

Hail.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4037167#post4037167

That's a LITTLE harsh, DH. Marshall, as you say, did miss some tackles against the Steelers, and he, no doubt, played in a diminishing fashion a year ago, but he was pretty good the year before. I like him as a reserve backer at three spots who can play in spot duty and hold down a role, but, not as a starter. Fortunately with how good Blades has looked, you almost have to think he's the natural backup at MLB now.

Apparently Art, the team decided Marshall wasn't even an adequate backup.... just 2 years removed from 2005. Regardless of how good you thought he was :)

As I said... one of the worst linebackers in all of football. 3 days later... he's cut.

It would appear the coaching staff... which you seem to put some much trust in.... agreed with me :)

To get rid of a linebacker who had a stellar year in 2005 but underperformed in 2006 just like everyone, someone who knows the system and has been a above average special teamer I think is absurd!

I am in agreement, don't think the GMen or the Iggles are on the phone with his agent right now.

We've got offensive line problems, we dont' have a reciever out side of Santana Moss who has proven himself, Clinton Potis is out and we have yet to run the ball for over 3 yards a carry this preseason.

I've got to wonder what the FO is thinking. Right now, I don't think we are prepared for the season and I hate to say this but I think it's too late in the game to be adding depth in important places like the O-line.

Hail.

Not jumping on this , BUT it does raise concerns!

lets also not forget that he played the 3-4 in SD under Wade (dont call me Bum) Phillips, who is now the HC in sallaD.

So not only does he bring the flexibility to play LB in a 3-4 or 4-3 (which Williams likes) but he also brings first hand insight into the system being used by one of our divisional opponents.

Very good points.

Outside of getting a bit older in a backup LB slot I see no negatives to this move.

We are gaining a experience LB in the system who Greg williams knows can play all LB positions. He has shown the recent ability to sack a QB. He is a backup who has seen it all, let alone a division rivals new playbook. He probably is saving us some cap room.

Yep we are losing a versatile backup who severly declined last year, demonstrated an uncanny ability to be blocked and bounce off of and miss tackles on third string RB's this offseason. Not to mention that it is his last year under contract as well.

Could be a good move, might be a bad one. We shall see.

Hail.

Calm down my friend. About the oline we didn't pick up wade last year till about week 4. There will be releases as teams start triming the rosters. It is not too late to add a Vet Guard. It doesn't take that long for OL starters to adjust if they are in the same position. Pass blocking is Pass blocking, Pulling is pulling no matter what it is called. It may take some time for the chemistry to build but it is not the end of the season.

Monkeys would bring in O-Line tryouts' date=' Vinny brings in WRs and LBs. Amazing[/quote']

LOL.

This morning bubba was wondering why a Fox article mockingly quoted the skins as a likely candidate for "laughingstock of the league". Well this and the Todd Pinkston threads from last week should answer that. Freakin' hilarious.

Steller '05? Maybe you didn't notice the dropoff in our defense from '04-'05?? Marshal can't tackle. I respect him for doing what he could to help the team but he is a bad tackler, has average speed, and has looked awful in the preseason this year after a terrible '06.

If people stopped looking at the stat book and actually watched Lemar they would see this is the right move given his age and average skill level.

Exactly what I'm thinking. The personnel moves of this team never cease to amaze me.

Let's hope Marshall does go to NY.

I'd love to see Portis and Betts blow past him when the Redskins play the Giants. :D

I like Marshall, but he wasn't very good last year.

He also hasn't looked good in the preseason so far, either.

It is amazing that there are people on this board who wanted.... no, demanded that the Redskins FIX the problems with the "D' that so crippled them last season.

NOW the Redskins are making these moves, and they are complaining about it. :rolleyes: B/C of some strange attachment, some misplaced loyalty they have to some players. :doh:

Either you want the Redskins make the defense better, or you want them to hold on to some sentimental faves, and tread water.

Archived