Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Breaking news: Bridge collapses in Minneapolis...

Spaceman Spiff

Hey all. This is where I live. I travel that bridge twice a week. Very scary situation. My wife used to drive that daily, but found an alternate route a while back. Hits very close to home though with all the calls I've had on this.

Hey man, I know we're all thankful that you weren't on that bridge. Glad you are safe! :)

Hey all. This is where I live. I travel that bridge twice a week. Very scary situation. My wife used to drive that daily, but found an alternate route a while back. Hits very close to home though with all the calls I've had on this.

I was about to PM you to see if anyone in your family was near this bridge. Glad to hear it sounds like your family is safe.

Glad to hear you're ok!

This is so sad. My condolences go out to all of the families affected.

No mention yet on what might have caused the failure of the bridge stucture. With a structural steel assembly, like the one supporting the bridge, a frame connection involving one member can cause a chain reaction and a total failure. The bridge beside this collapsed one, made of concrete and steel (similar to the key bridge) is probably twice it's age. A Lot more costly to build but one hell of lot stronger. If the world trade centers where made of reinforced concrete, they'd still be there. I worked on the Roslynn Center building (directly above the Roslynn metro) and that building was designed to take a direct hit from a commercial airliner and be repairable. All the exterior column contained a dozen #18 (2-1/4" diameter) rebar that had 14' overlap and were cadnium welded

There was no sesmic activity reported today in MN and that leads me to suspect corrosion of the structual steel fastners (rivets or bolts) and may have been caused by the road salt from snow removal. Modern steel structures have cathodic protection (to inhibit rust) in the form of sacrificial disimilar metal sinks, epoxy paint, or low voltage current running thru the steel usually supplied by a few small solar panels, such as the ones you may have seen on the va. GW parkway bridges near the cia.

I wouldn't rule out inferior engineering either, there's a pile of twisted junk underneath all that concrete roadway.

980381055_21083a956e_b.jpg

There are 10's of thousands of old bridge structures in our country that are not being properly maintaned because of cuts in the DOT budget (not going political here :)) and unfortunately these types of failures are going to happen more frequently in the near future as the funtional age of these older stuctures (and not so old underdesgned ones) reach thier limits.

There are 10's of thousands of old bridge structures in our country that are not being properly maintaned because of cuts in the DOT budget (not going political here :)) and unfortunately these types of failures are going to happen more frequently in the near future as the funtional age of these older stuctures (and not so old underdesgned ones) reach thier limits.

You are exactly right. When I worked in FFX County Gov we were not allowed to do any improvements because of the mixing bowl and new Teddy bridge going up when there is much that needs to be repaired.

The problem with this bridge is it had the one arch so no other support, the newer ones are built that if one part were to collapse the others would be fine. What the US needs to do is see how many of these older bridges are still in use and have more then 150K cars go over it everyday and replace those.

My buddy, who is a Redskins fan and went with me to the Seattle game in Jan 2006, lives in Minneapolis and by coincidence was nearby when the bridge collapsed. He helped man the Red Cross station which took care of the kids from that school bus.

Just another example of a Redskins fan doing good.

Archived