Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Racism prominent in Vick county

redskins59

I feel that there are many people who feel Vick is guilty simply because he is black. Now, personally, I do believe he is involved in this dogfighting scandal. To what degree, I do not know. But the way he's being treated tells me that there are many people who hate Vick simply because he's black. This article came out today.

SURRY, Va. — Gail Clayton was talking to yet another reporter about the Michael Vick dogfighting case when a co-worker handed her a letter that had just arrived at the Surry County courthouse.

“Blacks — no matter how much money and education will always be of a jungle race!” read the handwritten, unsigned letter, postmarked Richmond and addressed to courthouse “Managers.”

“Why dont the White Race in Surry take back their town from the ones that cant act civilized and obey the White laws as we do?”

The missive was the latest bit of unwelcome attention for this rural county of 7,000 people, thrust into the spotlight when federal authorities accused the Atlanta Falcons quarterback of sponsoring dogfighting at a local property he owns.

The letter shocked the county Circuit Court clerk, who said it “crossed the line” with its racism.

Meanwhile, Vick lost another sponsor — Rawlings. The sports goods company said it was ending its relationship with the quarterback because of dogfighting conspiracy charges.

http://www.thestate.com/sports/story/134151.html

(Note, this post is about racism, not racial divide--do not merge. Tried searching to see if this article had been posted yet. Sure as hell hasn't been.)

I always thought dog fighting was a cracker sport...Who knew??

Anyone that assumes Vick is being charged simply because he is black is a fool.

Are there racists out there happy to see him go down?...of course.

Just as there are apologists out there using race to try and get him off.

I never said Vick is being charged simply because he is black. It is obvious by now that Vick definitely has a hand in the dog-fighting ring. Vick's co-defendant, who recently pleaded guilty, has said that Vick was primarily the guy who financed the dog-fighting operation. We still do not know the details yet, however. Having said that, i still feel that Vick is being treated differently by the media. Guilty? More than likely. But it sure as hell feels like he has already been found guilty by the way the media has depicted this whole scandal. To give you an example, Sean Hannity wanted everybody to presume the Lacrosse players were innocent till we knew more about the case. In Vick's case, however, Sean Hannity, the darling of the right, has already presumed he is guilty. O'Reilly, however has been pretty fair-minded. Was watching his interview with Sharpton yesterday.

So, were you making a joke about how I spelled weak or a comment about all the threads? I'm an idiot.:laugh:

Yes.

edit>> Your spelling of the word 'weak' followed by the word 'Racism' lead me to think of the fact that racism threads are going to take over the Tailgate real soon. As they have already started for this week.

I can't believe this surprises anyone. The fact that racism exist should be no real shock to most people.

Does it apply in this case? Some hardcore racists will say yes. But they think that way about everything..and I mean everything.

I don't think Vick's troubles are due to the color of his skin. I think it's mainly due to the fact that he was involved in this dog fighting "incident" to some extent and the fact that he's a star athelete and worth so much money(at this moment). If he weren't a player in the NFL, this story wouldn't even have cracked the front page of the local paper(well maybe the local paper since I live in his home region).

But to think racism doesn't exist on some level in this country is just being niave imo. It's not right...but it does exist.

Actually, I strongly agree with the poster who stated that this was primarily a cracker sport. Old money, white men who have done nothing with their lives and who go out and bet on violence as an attempt to express their manliness.

I also believe that is why the Feds stepped in, because down there, everybody knows everybody else, and no one wanted this investigated because they might be implicated by Vick and/or others involved.

I think it is easy for many people with new money or tainted money to get involved in this, and take the risks at the front end. Sadly, it appears that Vick may actually be knowingly involved with this.

best post in the thread.

Having said that, i still feel that Vick is being treated differently by the media. Guilty? More than likely. But it sure as hell feels like he has already been found guilty by the way the media has depicted this whole scandal.

How many celebrity dog fighting trials are there? How do we know that he is being treated differently?

You yourself say he's more than likely guilty. There's only one thing that we like better than making heroes and that's tearing them down. Frankly, he's gotten the same treatment and level of presumption that Lindsey, Brittany, and Paris have gotten. Sometimes, I wonder what color Vick's hair is. It might not be a race thing, but a blonde thing..

Archived