Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Racism prominent in Vick county

redskins59

“Blacks — no matter how much money and education will always be of a jungle race!” read the handwritten, unsigned letter, postmarked Richmond and addressed to courthouse “Managers.”

“Why dont the White Race in Surry take back their town from the ones that cant act civilized and obey the White laws as we do?”

The letter shocked the county Circuit Court clerk, who said it “crossed the line” with its racism.

I was originally gonna ignore this thread and not get involved because it's such a touchy subject with everyone, but these 2 letters sent by idiots intrigued me.

First, I really hate to see things like this written. It makes caucasians look like idiots. Maybe it was written by a hate group and not representative of the white race. We will never know.

The one thing that does bother me (and I can't speak for my race as a whole), IS the idea that an athlete can do stupid things to throw their career away.

I've heard the phrase several times, "You can take the man out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of the man," several times by whites and blacks. It would almost be comparible to say the Beverly Hillbillies (I know it's a fictional show, but work with me). You could say, "You can take the hillbilly out of the country, but you can't the country out of the hillbilly."

One thing I've never understood, is there are a lot of Black athletes with backgrounds of growing up poor, no father figure etc. But when they finally do get to where they want to be, there is always a small amount who find a way to ruin it for themselves.

Why would you throw it all away when you've gotten this far? There are plenty of success stories, mostly the majority of current or former athletes, that put their bad backgrounds in the closet and become great mentors, teachers. etc. Magic Johnson, Julius Irving, Art Monk are a few examples of alot of black athletes that have overcome obstacles in their lives.

It's something that I can't understand either. The "Keeping it Real" crap has got to stop. This will always be a touchy subject with everyone and maybe one day we'll all have answers for the tensions.

First, I really hate to see things like this written. It makes caucasians look like idiots. Maybe it was written by a hate group and not representative of the white race. We will never know.

Maybe it's not representative of the white race?

It's also possible that a black group wrote the sign to inflame racial tension. It wouldn't be the first time it has happened.

people are ignorant, no matter how big of a success you become, there will always be that negative person wanting to bring you down.

People that are racist are afraid of change too by the way. They tend to keep moving south the more cultrally diverse their rural area becomes. Soon they will have to move as far south until they get to Mexico and they will have no other option but to adust.

Archived