Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why isn't Chris Hanburger in Canton?

Siven

I'm very curious how a 9 time pro-bowl linebacker from the George Allen year's hasn't even been nominated for hall of fame induction. I know he never won a superbowl, but Chris Hanburger was one of the best linebackers of his era. Can someone please explain how this great player doesn't have his bust in Canton?

If you look into it a bit, it's shocking the lack of consideration that he has been getting.

Part of the problem may be that so much of his career overlapped with teammate Sam Huff, a linebacker who's in the Hall. Huff became much ballyhooed when he played for the NY Giants. He was on the cover of Time magazine, and CBS did a documentary special on "The Violent World of Sam Huff." He became one of the faces of the NFL when it was just begining to skyrocket in popularity. That notoriety followed him to DC.

So maybe Hanburger suffers from Huff's shadow. Not to take anything away from Sam Huff. He made the Pro Bowl 5 times. Chris Hanburger was a NINE TIME Pro Bowler.

Another possible reason is that the Skins' defense during the first half of Hanburger's career just wasn't that good overall. Sonny J. and Co would throw up 36 points, and the other team would score 42. But he did have FIVE STRAIGHT Pro Bowl years - 1972-1976 - during George Allen's reign.

It is puzzling why Hanburger didn't get more consideration for Canton.

I'm not gonna bash Monk here cause I love him, but, you could argue that Hanburger, D. Green and Jacoby, Grimm and Bostic should all be given consideration over Monk to get into the Hall.

Green's a no-brainer.

The Hogs have 3 rings and 4 SB appearances with 3 different QB's and RB's.

Hanburger is a 9-time pro-bowler and defensive player of the year in 72.

I ran across this from a Wash. Post online chat with Len Shapiro about golf:

They posed a question about Hanburger, and Shapiro, who was a H. of F. voter at the time, answered:

______

Fairfax, Va.: Len:

I know this is supposed to be a golf chat today, but I never seem to be able to catch you online and I don't know how else to contact you, so I hope you will take this question. As a member of the Pro Football Hall-of-Fame Selection Committee (and Veteran's Committee), could you tell me why you think Chris Hanburger has not been voted into the Hall-of-Fame and if you would be willing to endorse him for selection by the Veteran's Committee this year? Hanburger was selected for the Pro Bowl nine times, picked as an all-pro five times and voted NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 1972. I don't think there is another player with those credentials who is not already in the Hall-of-Fame. It took George Allen many years to get in, and I think Chris Hanburger deserves to get in, too. Among the Joe Gibbs era Redskins not already in, only Darrell Green is more worthy of enshrinement than Hanburger. Once Chris gets in, I will lead the rally for Art Monk, but in all fairness, Hanburger deserves to get in first. Your thoughts on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Leonard Shapiro:

Chris Hanburger was a fine player, a guy who slipped through the cracks for a lot of years because he played on a lot of bad redskins teams. I could support his candidacy as a senior, just as I believe pat fischer should be in, as well. One thing going against hanburger: he was extremely media unfriendly, and some people have long memories.

______

I hate the fact that - according to Shapiro - voters hold Hanburger's reluctance to chitchat with the media against him - Monk redux.

Good topic. I wish I had an answer for you. I mean from a logical standpoint, he should have been in the HoF a long time ago. Some of the omissions from the NFL Hall of Fame just make you scratch your head. Hanburger's omission isn't even debatable. Its a gross oversight to say the least.

If people dont get into the HoF becasue they dont like to chit chat with a reporter, the whole process needs to be blown up. It's utter BS.

If you go to NINE pro bowls, WTF more to you have to do?!:doh:

Agreed. They should scrap the current system or make some drastic changes. Pastabelly, Peter F;***King have too much to say about it. They watch the same game we do. If the ordinary fan can see it, why the hell can't they.

I brought this up a while back when Monk got snubbed. Chris Hanburger should be a no brainer just like Monk. His (Hanburgers') name isn't even mentioned when talking about the HOF.

I've said it before. When it comes to post season and post career accolades, Skins players get robbed. Look at Shawn Springs a couple years back. He had what Five INT's and 6 sacks on the #3 overall defense and #1 in the NFC, yet only 1 defensive player(M. Washinghton) made it to the pro bowl that season. Its a joke. It makes you mad but it never surprises me anymore.

I ran across this from a Wash. Post online chat with Len Shapiro about golf:

They posed a question about Hanburger, and Shapiro, who was a H. of F. voter at the time, answered:

______

Fairfax, Va.: Len:

I know this is supposed to be a golf chat today, but I never seem to be able to catch you online and I don't know how else to contact you, so I hope you will take this question. As a member of the Pro Football Hall-of-Fame Selection Committee (and Veteran's Committee), could you tell me why you think Chris Hanburger has not been voted into the Hall-of-Fame and if you would be willing to endorse him for selection by the Veteran's Committee this year? Hanburger was selected for the Pro Bowl nine times, picked as an all-pro five times and voted NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 1972. I don't think there is another player with those credentials who is not already in the Hall-of-Fame. It took George Allen many years to get in, and I think Chris Hanburger deserves to get in, too. Among the Joe Gibbs era Redskins not already in, only Darrell Green is more worthy of enshrinement than Hanburger. Once Chris gets in, I will lead the rally for Art Monk, but in all fairness, Hanburger deserves to get in first. Your thoughts on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Leonard Shapiro:

Chris Hanburger was a fine player, a guy who slipped through the cracks for a lot of years because he played on a lot of bad redskins teams. I could support his candidacy as a senior, just as I believe pat fischer should be in, as well. One thing going against hanburger: he was extremely media unfriendly, and some people have long memories.

______

I hate the fact that - according to Shapiro - voters hold Hanburger's reluctance to chitchat with the media against him - Monk redux.

This is what is so effin wrong with the HOF. Can't Goodell use his Iron Fist and come down on these guys. Hey Sportswriters. They don't want to be your bestest friend. They want you to judge them fairly based on their play on the field. How about you guys take that Ax from out of your back pocket and stop grinding it? Any sportswriter who ever says they don't vote for a player because of their lack of media friendliness should have their voting priviledges taken away. Makes me sick that these guys are allowed to spew this crap from their mouths. Makes my sewer system look clean.

If people dont get into the HoF becasue they dont like to chit chat with a reporter, the whole process needs to be blown up. It's utter BS.

If you go to NINE pro bowls, WTF more to you have to do?!:doh:

They are there to play football and thats it, if they dont want to talk dont hold it against them.

Talking to a reporter is an off the field activity. Correct? Not talking to a reporter would be an example of an off the field activity.

And then in, defending the inclusion of the scumbag cowgirl, they very clearly state that it against their rules to take off the field behavior consideration?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! (Mugatu)

I love the hangman. I think Chris Hanburger was a brilliant player who has not gotten his due. Maybe it would help if Sonny or Sam would talk about him or talk about why they haven't. I also heard a rumor that he's not on good terms with the skins, is there any truth to that? He's one of my all time favorites and did have a great clothesline, hence the hangman.

Because he played for the skins. It is the same reason that there has been no one from the 70's, 80's, 90's, or 00's has been nominated or elected,(except for Riggo) the writers hate us. There should be a whole team in the hall from the skins from Hanburger to Butz to Manly to the HOGS to MONK. They all should be in. They were part of a team that dominated the 80's and still never get mentioned with the cowpukes or niners.

Archived