Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Looking for a good Anti-Bush T-shirt for trip to Ireland

E-Dog Night

I'm going to Ireland in about a month, and I need to find a really good anti-Bush t-shirt for the trip. Apparently, as much as he's hated here in the States, you can pretty much quadruple that in Ireland. My fiancé (who is from Ireland) has warned me that I might get catch some hell while I'm there, and I'd prefer to wear my feelings for W on my sleeve, as it were, so to avoid having to explain myself over and over again.

And sure enough, the US State Dept has the following warning on their website:

Several Americans have reported incidents of verbal abuse and one reported a physical assault apparently in reaction to U.S. policy on the war on terrorism.

I've been looking on the internets (both of them) for a while now and can't seem to find the perfect one. I'm leaning toward this one, for simplicity's sake:

21017674v1_240x240_Front.jpg

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

God forbid you actually act like a decent ambassador from our country while overseas. Far better to simply be that "nice, thoughtful, intelligent" American who gives them pause, rather than kissing political ass, regardless of whether or not it aligns with your own belief.

God forbid you actually act like a decent ambassador from our country while overseas. Far better to simply be that "nice, thoughtful, intelligent" American who gives them pause, rather than kissing political ass, regardless of whether or not it aligns with your own belief.

What a very un-zen like response! Long day at the office?

The problem is, in a lot of countries - in Western Europe especially - there is an intense anti-American sentiment. I'm going over there to meet the family of my fiancé, and even if it was purely for vacation/pleasure, I carry myself in a manner wholly opposite of the ugly American. I certainly don't need to "kiss political ass" as you put it. I just prefer not to get yelled at by angry Irish people after they've been at the pub for a wee bit too long.

You're still taking your, "I'm the IRA" t-shirt, right?

Seeing how I'll spending most of my time in Donegal - a stone's throw from Northern Ireland - I prefer not. But my "I heart Oliver Cromwell" shirt? That's getting worn pretty much every day!

I also don't think this one would be a good idea:

wwjb220.gif

Then again, maybe they'd love that, but I'm not sure it would be as readily understood as it is here.

kodos.jpg

Love it! I'll have to check with the little lady to find out if the Simpsons are big over there.

What a very un-zen like response! Long day at the office?

The problem is, in a lot of countries - in Europe especially - there is an intense anti-American sentiment. I'm going over there to meet the family of my fiancé, and even if it was purely for vacation/pleasure, I carry myself in a manner wholly opposite of the ugly American. I certainly don't need to "kiss political ass" as you put it. I just prefer not to get yelled at by angry Irish people after they've been at the pub for a wee bit too long.

While that may be true, I think your shirt is going to attract a lot more attention than if you just wear a normal shirt. I've been to Europe recently. It's not that bad. It's not like you are going to be stoned in the streets.

I have some Anti Bush shirts.

"(has a pic of Bush playing Golf) Soldiers keep dying.. Bush keeps taking Vacations!"

"(pic of Daddy and son) "Dumber and Dumber"

"Bush lied.. People died"

"Not my president!"

"Questioning the war IS supporting the troops!"

I have a ton more.. I just can't think of them all..

I'm going to Ireland in about a month, and I need to find a really good anti-Bush t-shirt for the trip. Apparently, as much as he's hated here in the States, you can pretty much quadruple that in Ireland. My fiancé (who is from Ireland) has warned me that I might get catch some hell while I'm there, and I'd prefer to wear my feelings for W on my sleeve, as it were, so to avoid having to explain myself over and over again.

I've been looking on the internets (both of them) for a while now and can't seem to find the perfect one. I'm leaning toward this one, for simplicity's sake:

Translation:

I'm scared I'll get my butt kicked in Ireland because I'm an American.

Note to E-Dog: Anti-Bushism is often a cover for Anti-Americanism. Maybe you should pick up some "I hate USA" t-shirts while you're at it.

Seriously, my wife and I have been going to Europe at least once a year (twice this year) for vacations for a while now (London this last time), and we've never had a hint of a problem.

Europeans are very capable of seperating the people from the government, especially if one makes an effort to try to fit in with the local culture, rather than attempting to impose American culture on them.

Just don't run around flaunting a pro-Bush t-shirt, and I think you'll be fine. In fact, wearing a shirt saying anything about Bush is probably more likely to garner the kind of attention you don't want.

As for the State Department warning, that's "several" and "one" out of how many thousands upon thousands of Americans visiting Ireland? Also, I'd be willing to bet the American started or participated in an argument before said incident. Alcohol affects the judgement of Amercians too. ;)

Just an observation, why would any red-blooded american want to overtly disparage his country just so he wouldn't catch flack? Grow a backbone! Geez.

Note to E-Dog: Anti-Bushism is often a cover for Anti-Americanism. Maybe you should pick up some "I hate USA" t-shirts while you're at it.

Note to Johnny Punani: There are exceptions, but most people's Anti-Bushism is just Anti-Bushism by people who otherwise love their country.

Just like anti-Clintonism was a decade ago.

Archived