Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DR. Z comments on Skins in his latest mailbag. (3 days late merge)

ConcordNCSkinsFan

Here are the comments and link to article.

A very long, very carefully thought out question from Jonathan of New Orleans, who wishes I would cover the Redskins in a less negative manner, perhaps as I cover the New York teams, which, ahem, I seem to favor. Interesting, your take on my feeling about New York teams. Pat Hanlon, the Giants' very hard working and capable PR man, accused me of leaning way over, in my treatment of the Jets, while hardly showing his Giants the same latitude. Yeah, I guess he's right. But old feelings die hard, and it probably goes back to my stint as the NY Post beat man on the Jets for 11 years, whereas I was always treated as a felon by Timmy Mara when he was directing some of the Giants' operations, and the club fell into line accordingly. But your concern is legitimate, so I'll try to give you my feelings about the Skins.

First of all, I admit that I don't like the owner, (and the feeling is reciprocal) or the GM, Vinny Cerrato, but I don't think I've ever been unfair to any of the players, do you? I was the only one who picked Chris Cooley to an all-pro team (H-Back, FB), and I picked Cornelius Griffin when he wasn't a popular choice, and I didn't stiff Santana Moss, either. I have faith in Gregg Williams and the defense, if people stay healthy. I think Marcus Washington is a big league performer, and I think London Fletcher will fit right into the system. I haven't been high on Sean Taylor because he's one of those players who I feel keeps both sides in the game.

I don't get any feeling of focus from their offense. I don't see traces of the old Joe Gibbs genius. The quality level of the players on that side of the ball is very little above average, with a few exceptions such as Moss and Clinton Portis. Worst of all, I don't like the deals they've made, the free agents they've signed, since the Snyder-Cerrato twosome has been calling things, or supervising, or whatever they do. I don't get a feeling that they have a definite way they want their squad to look, and then find players accordingly, as the Patriots do. And thank you very much for your kind comments about my work.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dr_z/06/08/mailbag/2.html

That's a pretty damn good assessment. Really can't argue with much of that. He's a little harsh on our offense but - then again - our offense still has to prove itself.

As for Dan and Vinny, he can say whatever he wants about them because I am not a fan of most of their decisions either. Sure Dan will spend whatever it takes in an effort to make the team better, and I can't fault that as a general premise. But the way he's gone about trying to improve this team in the past has not been successful, and he continues to try that which has already failed.

I've always said that the bias every team seems to feel from the national press is predicated on the fact that most national press reporters were - at one-time - local beat reporters. The reason Peter King is who he is: he was the Giants beat reporter during the Parcells years. The reason Pasquerelli always falls back on the Steelers; he is a Pittsburgh native and once edited their weekly team report. It goes on and on.

I should add that sports reporting is odd, because your paper is expected to be a "fan" of the team you are covering. Boswell is expected to "like" the Nationals. So editorially, there is pressure. This can result in one or two things: 1. You either slobber all over the team (like King) or 2. You hate the team unreasonably (like Jay Marriotti, who seems to despise Chicago sports).

He was more honest about this then most of the media is.

Mr Snyder is a lighting rod of hate with the media, hear say is that he is rude and petty when dealing with them. Perhaps he sees them as dealing with him that way and is replying in kind.

Mr. Snyder might be served when fighting with the media to recall the axiom

"Never wrestle with a pig you both get muddy and the pig likes it!"

The reason Peter King is who he is: he was the Giants beat reporter during the Parcells years.

Yep, and it's the reason that Harry Carson is in the HOF and not Art Monk. Most reporters carry some kind of bias. The number of reporters that can't hide their dislike of Danny is big though. As smart of a business man as he is you would think he would understand how to play the media in his favor.

Yep, and it's the reason that Harry Carson is in the HOF and not Art Monk. Most reporters carry some kind of bias. The number of reporters that can't hide their dislike of Danny is big though. As smart of a business man as he is you would think he would understand how to play the media in his favor.

The point is, he HAS played the media and thats why he is worth so many millions of dollars and owns our team. The problem is these guys dont like that and take stabs at him out of jealousy, rage or purely something to write about and bleet on to the masses who buy their magazines and read their articles. He may not be the most successful owner this planet has ever seen but hes a succesfull businessman and many people unfortunately cant separate the two.

Just the opposite...the qualities that go towards becoming such a huge success in the business world do not translate very well to the media and how it perceives your actions.

I've always said that the bias every team seems to feel from the national press is predicated on the fact that most national press reporters were - at one-time - local beat reporters. The reason Peter King is who he is: he was the Giants beat reporter during the Parcells years. The reason Pasquerelli always falls back on the Steelers; he is a Pittsburgh native and once edited their weekly team report. It goes on and on.

I should add that sports reporting is odd' date=' because your paper is expected to be a "fan" of the team you are covering. Boswell is expected to "like" the Nationals. So editorially, there is pressure. This can result in one or two things: 1. You either slobber all over the team (like King) or 2. You hate the team unreasonably (like Jay Marriotti, who seems to despise Chicago sports).[/quote']

Or Hank Goldberg in Miami and Sal Palantonio with the Eagles.

Rabach is good, Samuels is elite, Thomas is very good, Jansen is very good, Portis is Elite, Betts is very good, Moss is very good almost elite but not there yet, Wade is unknown, Mike sellars is pretty good, Brandon Lloyd sucks but has a chance to redeem himself, and ARE is very good (In terms of slot receiver production)

Jason Campbell is the big unknown. Is he the QB who showed flashes of brilliance or is he just an average joe.

Worst of all, I don't like the deals they've made, the free agents they've signed, since the Snyder-Cerrato twosome has been calling things, or supervising, or whatever they do.

Course, he says this soon after he complements those free agents or players they got from deals. It sounds like he's letting his dislike of Snyder and Cerrato get in the way of common sense.

I don't get a feeling that they have a definite way they want their squad to look, and then find players accordingly, as the Patriots do.

I'm sorry, but the Skins are the definition of getting the players that they want. Gibbs certainly does seem to have a plan on how they want their squad to look. Just because it isn't successful doesn't mean that they didn't have a plan.

Hell, under Spurrier, there was a definite plan of what kind of players they wanted and went out and got them. The plan sucked, yes, but there was a definite trend you could detect in the kind of players that they looked for.

Really, the main thing you can put on Snyder's head that has hurt our success is the fact that the plan has changed way too much. Not to mention that there was more of a focus on the coach and not enough on if he fit what we currently had on the roster. Coaching changes don't hurt as much if the guy is able to work with the players the previous coach had, but when you end up having to overhaul most of the team to fit a particular philosophy, that can kill you, especially when it has been done multiple times in a short period of time.

This is why I'm thankful for the stability Gibbs has brought to this organization, and that when he did make a change at an assistant position, it didn't require a major overhaul of what we were doing to fit what he wanted to do.

Jason

That's a pretty damn good assessment.

It's a ridiculous assessment. First, he admits he doesn't like Snyder or Cerrato -- that's real professional and objective. Second, he insists on sticking with the old, mistaken fallacy that Synder/Cerrato "call the shots." Guess he conveniently forgot about Joe Gibbs in order to make his noxious point. What a moron. Who actually pays him?

if he is hell bent on hating on the moves that snyder and vinnie have made, he needs to stop looking at all the moves and focus on the ones they have in the past 4 years. you can't hold snyder accountable for the stuff he did when he first got here forever. he needs to recognize that there has been a change in attitude to a degree. next year we have all but one pick, in the past three years we have made quality free agent decisions with two set back in arch and lloyd (although the book is still out on lloyd who could still prove effective). i have to go drink some beer now so i'm going to cut my thoughts short.

Archived