Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cooley - what were your early impressions?

robotfire

I liked the guy from preseason, but when it really hit me was the second Philly game, when he kept us in the game with key 3rd down catches. I think we could have won that game if Ramsey didnt throw that easy pick in the endzone

And to answer the question, I think I was pushed over into the "Eternally Sold" column when Cooley caught that pass from Ramsey in the 2nd Giants game, and ran it in for a long TD. Granted, the TD was called back due to holding lol...but I remember after he outran his defender and just made it into the corner of the end zone, I said something like "Geez, this guy seems to ALWAYS be catching the ball and making good plays"...It had been a looooooooong time since we saw that from a rookie offensive player.

In Gibbs I trust, but coming out of College at only 235 pounds I was worried, although I didn't know anything about him. Being the 6th TE taken in the draft, he by far has had the best career of them all. (Winslow, Watson, Troupe, K.Wilson, B.Hartsock). With all due respect to Winslow and his injuries however.

Winslow had all the hype, taking Taylor and grabbing Cooley was great. He is one of my favourite Skins. The FO better lock this guy up.

I just remember early on every time he got the ball it would always take more than one guy to get him down. Then of course after the 05 dallas game I knew this guy was a complete stud and everytime he got the ball he was going to get some yardage. I love Cooooooooooley.

I still don't think he's a star. He's just a solid player. He is not very quick, and he's benefitted from a lot of very poor tackle efforts on him. He has a knack for getting open in space, and great hands, but he is a long way from being a star or even an elite player.

Hmmm... OK

Let's review what you said... You've got this Tight End that has a knack for getting open, great hands, deceptive football speed, hard to bring down unless you take a really good angle (by that time he's already gained 25-30 yards)...

And you call this guy a long way from being a star??? I don't know what game you're watching.... this is football.

I still don't think he's a star. He's just a solid player. He is not very quick, and he's benefitted from a lot of very poor tackle efforts on him. .

How can a guy benefit from poor tackle efforts game after game after game? He's got to be around a top 5 tight end as far as receiving goes. He finds open space, can run after the catch (not explosive as he is a tight end), has pretty good hands, and isn't afraid to get hit. He's a star as far as Redskins fans go, and since the Redskins have one of the biggest fan bases in the league, he's a star period.

from the moment I bought my Captain Chaos shirt... j/k

Seriously I knew this guy was good in the first couple games, i don't remember them specifically but someone mentioned the 2nd Dallas game in 04 and that Philly game where Ramsey threw a late INT.

He is a playmaker. He's got a knack for being in the right spot at the right time. And he made some great catches right away.

I remember watching one of his first game on TV and after he turned a 7 yard pass into a 30 yard gain I turned to my dad and said he was going to be a probowler and play with us for years. My dad couldn't see it. Okay those haven't happened yet but he's on his way. :)

He is a blessing for this team, that's for sure. We picked him up in the 3rd round, and he has the career of a top 10 pick. He is a rare feel-good story when it comes to our drafting results from the past decade. If the FO lets him go, then they should be hunted down and exterminated one by one... braveheart style.

I still remember seeing Chris Cooley in the preseason and in his early games. I kept thinking, "Who is this guy? He seems to be making some pretty good plays." I also remember thinking that he just kept being in the right place at the right time - that he wasn't anything special and was just getting lucky.

At what point did that change? At what point did he become a star to you? When did you realize he was something special?

gotta go with the home dallas game in 05. he was a superstar in that game.

For the very beginning, I sensed we had a steal. He was the top receiving tight end in the nation, was the strongest athlete on his college team, and was a state wrestling champion. So I was riding shotgun on the Cooley bandwagon from day one.

BTW RedskinzOwnU, you crazy man.

I love Cooley and I think hes great for the team and for the area, but I do think we skins fans tend to hype him. I can see why though, when do we ever really hit on a mid to late round gem that ends up being a star? He's definetly top 10-15, but top 5? I'm just being a realist. He is a step down from the elite tight ends. He's a second tier talent that fits in perfectly within his system. (Second tier meaning a shade below Gates, Gonzales, etc.) With that being said he needs to be a Redskin for his whole career because the shoe just fits. We use him right, and he makes plays in our system.

I remember hearing about him before the draft. It was a toss up for us whether we would draft Sean Taylor or Kellen Winslow II and a lot of analysts said we were going for Sean Taylor because there was a kid out of Utah State they thought they could get in the 3rd round.

I remember Gibbs' interviews and how he said he loved the fact Cooley was a state wrestling champion in high school. Right there I knew the kid had athleticism and the discipline to be good. When I first saw what he looked like with the crazy hair, on a tractor at Skins park, and his dating run through the Redskinettes, I was sold. I really hope he's a Redskin for life!

I still don't think he's a star. He's just a solid player. He is not very quick, and he's benefitted from a lot of very poor tackle efforts on him. He has a knack for getting open in space, and great hands, but he is a long way from being a star or even an elite player.

I couldn’t disagree with you more. Cooley is in my opinion without a doubt one of the premier TE's in the league. He has extremely good hands, very good speed, is as strong as an ox, is a decent blocker, and is hard for one person to bring down.

Archived