Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cooley - what were your early impressions?

robotfire

I still remember seeing Chris Cooley in the preseason and in his early games. I kept thinking, "Who is this guy? He seems to be making some pretty good plays." I also remember thinking that he just kept being in the right place at the right time - that he wasn't anything special and was just getting lucky.

At what point did that change? At what point did he become a star to you? When did you realize he was something special?

Sounds like someone has a mancrush.

Seriously though, I think he's a a very good player -- easy to root for. Plays hard and looks like he's having a blast. Hopefully we won't let him get away, but we all know that goes.

Exactly. Dallas game was what did it for me too.
I thought I saw something in him early on. He just seemed to make plays. To be honest, I still don't get how he's any good. He looks so slow on the field, but he just makes plays.

He looked really good his first preseason but it was the 2nd half of 2004 that clinched it for me. I don't remember the exact game but it was Ramsey's 3rd or 4th start he had a good game including a couple of really big plays.

Um, when we drafted him and heard that Coach Gibbs really liked him, I thought, this guy is going to be great.

Bingo. Actually, right after we drafted Sean Taylor ahead of Kellen Winslow in the first round, I called the Cooley pick. How could you not have faith in Joe Gibbs picking his H-Back? I knew he would be great before I ever saw him play.

I thought I saw something in him early on. He just seemed to make plays. To be honest, I still don't get how he's any good. He looks so slow on the field, but he just makes plays.

I wonder this too, but when you have good hands and run good routes, its much easier to look good. He's always tough to bring down after the catch. He runs hard.

I still don't think he's a star. He's just a solid player. He is not very quick, and he's benefitted from a lot of very poor tackle efforts on him. He has a knack for getting open in space, and great hands, but he is a long way from being a star or even an elite player.

I thought he was pretty good the day we got him, but the second Dallas game in 2005 where he lowered the shoulder on there one guy, and went all the way in backed it up.

And his play against Carolina this past season, well that just backed everything up

i think when he scored a td in the game at pittsburgh his rookie year. we couldnt sneak it in against that TOUGH defense and cooley got the TD on the road against a far superior team. it also showed me that the team had confidence in him in a crucial situation

tgijef

He has a knack for getting open in space, and great hands, but

That's really all you need a TE to do. Guys like Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzalez are very rare. Cooley can get open and make the catch. And he does that just about as well as anyone.

I still don't think he's a star. He's just a solid player. He is not very quick, and he's benefitted from a lot of very poor tackle efforts on him. He has a knack for getting open in space, and great hands, but he is a long way from being a star or even an elite player.
People fall off of him because he's good at shedding tackles, not because people are poor at tackling.

When I sat at Fed Ex and watched him woop the piss out of the Pukes. I liked him before, but now I believe he has the potential to be one of the best in the league for many years to come. He's got it all. Smart, blocks well, good hands, great motor, and an all around team guy, not to mention he's reliable when we need a big play on third down. If he can stay fairly consistent and doesn't drop balls and make stupid penalties once in a while, he will be a really good TE/H for us. Maybe some Pro Bowls, who knows :whoknows:

HTTR

I still remember seeing Chris Cooley in the preseason and in his early games. I kept thinking, "Who is this guy? He seems to be making some pretty good plays." I also remember thinking that he just kept being in the right place at the right time - that he wasn't anything special and was just getting lucky.

At what point did that change? At what point did he become a star to you? When did you realize he was something special?

at what point did you realize that you were physically and romantically attracted to another man? (not that theres anything wrong with that)

at what point did you realize that you were physically and romantically attracted to another man? (not that theres anything wrong with that)
He's not my favorite player or anything, but I just was wondering how other people felt about a guy coming from nowhere and being one of our best players. I guess you could say I was *just curious* :)

I'm a sucker for an underdog story, I guess.

He is not very quick, and he's benefitted from a lot of very poor tackle efforts on him.

I believe his speed is not great but deceptive. As for the very poor tacklers, I'm not so sure about that, I think the way chris plays and sheds those tackles is more of a strength of his, than a weakness of the would be tackler.

Archived