Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MMA is Finally Mainstream!

UltimateSkins

Anyone else really excited at how MMA is now finally on the covers of both ESPN and the Magazine and SI? It's taken long enough, but MMA is finally getting its due and being treated like a real sport! UFC 71 this Saturday, don't miss it!

Dude, ESPN shows competitive jump roping... I wouldn't go so far as to say that them covering it means it's gone mainstream....

The fact that UFC is having it's 71st PPV and people are still watching is bigger news...

they had Joe Rogan debating mma vs. boxing against Lou DiBella for about the first 10min of the 6pm edition of Sportscenter. Rogan verbally murdered that man. DiBella came off as ignorant to mma and really had no arguments besides that its in his words "human ****fighting".

I don't claim to know a lot about MMA, but being a huge boxing fan the growing popularity of UFC is really scaring me. I mean from what I can devulge through what I've seen and heard about ultimate fighting, it's much more violent and a lot bloodier than boxing. Also with the kicking and the submissions it just seems like it's what professional wrestling would be if it were real and not just for show, if that makes sense to anybody.

The main thing that scares me about UFC is that, as I said earlier, it is more violent and supposedly more action packed than boxing and violence draws younger viewers. A lot of young kids won't ever learn to appreciate the sweet science because the violence of UFC will appear more attractive to them. If boxing loses the younger viewers(which they may have already) then there isn't a lot of hope for a sport that is fading in the public eye.

Boxing doesn't have another Muhammad Ali, or a Mike Tyson, or a Riddick Bowe, or a Ray Leonard, or even a Ray boom boom Mancini coming along anytime soon and without the star power, the violence of the UFC will immediatley seem more attractive to young people in my opinion. Boxing is an acquired taste and kids aren't gonna put the time into learning the sport when they can go and watch some guys punch, slam, and kick each other before they try to choke them unconcious or until they submit. I'm not trying to offend MMA fans, but that's just how I see it from my uneducated point of view. It's just scary to me to think that something like UFC(which is apparently the hip thing to do right now) could possibly have a chance to supplant the sport of boxing. It's really hard to believe, but you never know with kids these days...

I'm going to try to get into it. I'm a Boxing fan but I'm willing to give it a chance. Is it on PPV or what? What channels show it regularly? (like HBO does with Boxing)

It's on PPV tomorrow from 10pm - 1 eastern. It's $40 on PPV, but every Hooters shows UFC for free. Spike TV is currently the place to go on cable for UFC. They have the show "The Ultimate Fighter" every thursday. They also currently replay one of their UFC Fight Night Cards every Friday and show UFC Unleashed, a one hour show with a few matches from previous PPVs a few times a week.

I don't claim to know a lot about MMA, but being a huge boxing fan the growing popularity of UFC is really scaring me. I mean from what I can devulge through what I've seen and heard about ultimate fighting, it's much more violent and a lot bloodier than boxing. Also with the kicking and the submissions it just seems like it's what professional wrestling would be if it were real and not just for show, if that makes sense to anybody.

The main thing that scares me about UFC is that, as I said earlier, it is more violent and supposedly more action packed than boxing and violence draws younger viewers. A lot of young kids won't ever learn to appreciate the sweet science because the violence of UFC will appear more attractive to them. If boxing loses the younger viewers(which they may have already) then there isn't a lot of hope for a sport that is fading in the public eye.

Boxing doesn't have another Muhammad Ali, or a Mike Tyson, or a Riddick Bowe, or a Ray Leonard, or even a Ray boom boom Mancini coming along anytime soon and without the star power, the violence of the UFC will immediatley seem more attractive to young people in my opinion. Boxing is an acquired taste and kids aren't gonna put the time into learning the sport when they can go and watch some guys punch, slam, and kick each other before they try to choke them unconcious or until they submit. I'm not trying to offend MMA fans, but that's just how I see it from my uneducated point of view. It's just scary to me to think that something like UFC(which is apparently the hip thing to do right now) could possibly have a chance to supplant the sport of boxing. It's really hard to believe, but you never know with kids these days...

I think boxing and MMA can easily co-exist. I'm a fan of both and appreciate each of the sports in a different kind of way.

I think it's a damn shame it's mainstream all of a sudden.

In a week it gets a big spread in espn magazine, the cover of SI and blows up all over sportscenter.

I'm not into it...I mean I think it's pretty cool. If it's on, I'll watch it. I can name a few fighters.

But I'm starting to hate fads, I hate the "Poker Boom" cause it lead into so many wannabee poker players...and while I know the old school poker players like the fact that there's more money at the table now, they roll their eyes at some of the new kids on the block...some things are best kept underground to keep the edge and keep the bandwagoner fad people out.

I think what UFC used to have was great....now that Sportscenter has its grubby little paws on it, I don't think the original hardcore fans who helped get it to this point can count on it to be the same as it used to be.

Think about Fight Club...once Tyler got corporate sponsorship it stopped being a cool underground scene and became something bigger and arguably uglier...

I think it's a damn shame it's mainstream all of a sudden.

In a week it gets a big spread in espn magazine, the cover of SI and blows up all over sportscenter.

I'm not into it...I mean I think it's pretty cool. If it's on, I'll watch it. I can name a few fighters.

But I'm starting to hate fads, I hate the "Poker Boom" cause it lead into so many wannabee poker players...and while I know the old school poker players like the fact that there's more money at the table now, they roll their eyes at some of the new kids on the block...some things are best kept underground to keep the edge and keep the bandwagoner fad people out.

I think what UFC used to have was great....now that Sportscenter has its grubby little paws on it, I don't think the original hardcore fans who helped get it to this point can count on it to be the same as it used to be.

Think about Fight Club...once Tyler got corporate sponsorship it stopped being a cool underground scene and became something bigger and arguably uglier...

Whatever, this isn't a Brad Pitt movie. There's got to be new sports that break through. It happens almost every 50-100 years. I think MMA is very stout as far as skillset and competition. Wait until the cards get loaded with great fights. Tito Ortiz is already on the UNDERCARD of a 2-championship night. Sean Sherk defends his lightweight belt and Anderson Silva defends his middleweight belt...while Ortiz fights a fighter who is 15-0. July 7th. Poker is a fad, MMA is an actual sport.

Whatever, this isn't a Brad Pitt movie. There's got to be new sports that break through. It happens almost every 50-100 years. I think MMA is very stout as far as skillset and competition. Wait until the cards get loaded with great fights. Tito Ortiz is already on the UNDERCARD of a 2-championship night. Sean Sherk defends his lightweight belt and Anderson Silva defends his middleweight belt...while Ortiz fights a fighter who is 15-0. July 7th. Poker is a fad, MMA is an actual sport.

It can still be a sport and be a fad as well. They're not mutually exclusive.

Anyway, look at boxing...who's to say UFC won't go that way?

The Fight Club reference was an analogy. . .

they had Joe Rogan debating mma vs. boxing against Lou DiBella for about the first 10min of the 6pm edition of Sportscenter. Rogan verbally murdered that man. DiBella came off as ignorant to mma and really had no arguments besides that its in his words "human ****fighting".

Rogan killed that guy. It was great. :)

Boxing is dead. Its not because of the UFC, its because the sport is corrupt, it has no personalities, and there are like 15 champs at each weightclass.

I am one of the "hardcore" UFC fans that has been watching from the start. As someone with a background in wrestling, i cant stand it when people assume that MMA doesnt have the same intricacies as boxing. It absolutely does, they just dont understand them. UFC is "hip" right now because it is a 1000 times more action packed than watching 2 guys i dont know peck at each other for an hour and deciding the winner by judges decision. :yawnee: I think 80-90% of UFC fights are KO's.

Comparing MMA with Professional Wrestling is retarded. I dont even know where to start with that one.

I remember my first boxing match.

Larry Holmes vs Jerry Coonie

I remember my first MMA fight UFC 6, Tank Abbott won that one.

MMA is sooooooooooooo much more fun to watch than boxing.

I like boxing, I even paid to see the Mayweather Oscar fight, but boxing doesn't compare to MMA.

Boxing is dead. Its not because of the UFC, its because the sport is corrupt, it has no personalities, and there are like 15 champs at each weightclass.

Absolutely. Boxing started dying a slow and painful death to me after the first Holyfield vs Lewis encounter. Boxing is a shell of what it should be, and yeah, having so many titles at each weightclass gets a little annoying. If you are not huge into the sport, it's hard to decipher what title means more, who beat who for what title, any why boxer X is not allowed to fight boxer Y in an attempt to unify all the belts. And once they are unified, why can they be un-unified again?

I'm not asking these questions, but I know casual boxing fans that do ask these questions and they end up being turned off by the confusion of it all.

And I don't buy the whole "MMA is way too violent" stereotype that is attached with it. What's more violent, a guy getting knocked out from one hard shot and the ref stops the fight, or A guy being repeatedly punched down to the mat, and the ref giving him a 10 count to get to his feat so he can be beaten up again? And fights are stopped for bad cuts just like they are in boxing.

As for ESPN and SI jumping on the bandwagon? Well, I guess if the sport does well enough to outshine every other sport in PPV buys, you have to take notice. Nice of them to jump on now, could of used their help 3 or 4 years ago.

:idea:

:laugh: , I know, but from what I've seen, aren't all of those things big parts of it? Do they not kick, punch, and body slam each other? And I wasn't comparing it to pro wrestling in a bad way, I actually enjoy pro wrestling. They're allowed to kick, punch, and slam right? that's where I was drawing the comparison.

:laugh: , I know, but from what I've seen, aren't all of those things big parts of it? Do they not kick, punch, and body slam each other? And I wasn't comparing it to pro wrestling in a bad way, I actually enjoy pro wrestling. They're allowed to kick, punch, and slam right? that's where I was drawing the comparison.

Pro wrestling = a dramatic play.

MMA = real fighting.

They don't punch, kick, or slam in pro wrestling, it's all fake.

I simply don't understand wrestling fans that don't watch MMA fighting.

Anyone else really excited at how MMA is now finally on the covers of both ESPN and the Magazine and SI? It's taken long enough, but MMA is finally getting its due and being treated like a real sport! UFC 71 this Saturday, don't miss it!

Yes, I am very excited about that. I've been a UFC fan ever since it first came out in the early 90's. UFC is my favorite sporting event to watch, except football of course.

Chuck vs. Rampage -- should be an action packed fight. I don't think Boxing will be able to fend of MMA. Boxing does have the long history, but MMA is so much more exciting to watch -- more knockouts and more action. Mr White has done an excellent job turning UFC mainstream.

my feelings exactly. i don't understand why some people have the mentality that you HAVE to choose between one or the other.

I'm fine with boxing the sport, but with all the federations and the constant politics involved, I can't even remotely get motivated for fights. I just hope and pray that MMA doesn't go that way.

Archived