Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Speed limit enforced by aircraft

OrangeSkin

Who will have the best season compared to last season?  

221 members have voted

1. 1. Who will have the best season compared to last season?

• Carlos Rogers
    • Fred Smoot
    • Philip Daniels
    • Cornelius Griffin
    • Todd Wade
    • Brandon Lloyd

What the hell does this mean? I see these everywhere on the interstate, but yet I've never seen anyone pulled over by a helicopter. If anything it gives the green light to speed, since it basically means that there won't be any cop cars waiting in the wings. What is the deal with those signs?

We have these around hampton Roads. Police Helicopters fly along parallel with the interstates at a set speed and look for cars that are going faster than they are. I guess when they find a speeder they radio troopers on the ground to proceed with whatever they do to find them.

The idea is that road markers are painted every mile or so, and an aircraft overhead can time you between two of the markers in order to assess your speed. One would assume that at this point they would have to radio down to the nearest highway patrol car. That's the theory, anyway. In practice, probably mostly useless.

I'm not sure why, but this funny as hell to me.

Actually, if you look carefully, there are lines that are painted that go across all the lanes. A helo or plane can actually time how long it takes for you to get from one line to another and get a rough estimation of your speed. If you are speeding, they can dispatch an unmarked unit to get a more accurate determination.

At least, thats how it works in theory. In practice, the police have other things to spend money on.

My math teacher actually explained to us how it can be done. They have marked lines on the road and time how long it takes a car to go between the two lines and use the Mean Value Theorem to determine the speed that someone MUST have been traveling at some point in between the 2 markers. Once they do that its just a matter of informing a trooper on the ground.

My math teacher actually explained to us how it can be done. They have marked lines on the road and time how long it takes a car to go between the two lines and use the Mean Value Theorem to determine the speed that someone MUST have been traveling at some point in between the 2 markers. Once they do that its just a matter of informing a trooper on the ground.

Wow, after only six posts on the subject we get one who's correct.

(As to "why bother using aircraft for this job", I suspect part of the reason is that an aircraft with a stopwatch doesn't set off radar detectors.)

Wow, after only six posts on the subject we get one who's correct.

(As to "why bother using aircraft for this job", I suspect part of the reason is that an aircraft with a stopwatch doesn't set off radar detectors.)

As well as in most places of the country, only an aircraft can see the beginning and ending marks that are a mile apart.

As well as in most places of the country, only an aircraft can see the beginning and ending marks that are a mile apart.

They aren't necessarily a mile apart. I read in some car magazine...I want to say quarter mile markings.

This subject was touched upon in this thread.

As I mentioned in my post I linked, aside from budget concerns, air restrictions probably have an effect on how this is implemented locally (the perimeter of DC).

so how many months into police accademy do they teach the cops mean value theorem???

Guest sk1nzHEAD

so what if you drive 150 mph at one point then slow down to 20 miles per hour..since your time between the two lines is more..your not speeding?

Guest sk1nzHEAD
LOL going from 150 to 20 in a quarter mile is unlikely :D

its conjectural!!! answer my damn question!!!!

I was pulled over in Kansas while driving cross country exactly this way. I was on cruise control at 88mph and had been for a long time. Kansas was straight but very hilly, and when I came over one, I saw 2 cop cars in the median and a cop was standing in the middle of the highway waiting for me (he pointed me to the side of the road as I approached). When he came up to my window, I said "What seems to be the problem officer?" and he responded by saying "Son, we got you from up above". They ended up getting me at 87mph. I tried to work my way out of it by saying that there was no way I could possibly have been going that fast, but unfortunately my sister (who can't lie worth ****) gave me up, because she immediately replies "Oh no, you were" :doh: .

Regardless, it was quite funny, and luckily, it was pretty cheap (about $60).

If you ever travel through Ohio on I-71 watch out--they use aircraft to catch speeders all the time. They just had a story on the local news and the plane pointed out 9 cars in 30 minutes for the waiting police on the ground. And it wasn't just speeding; they targeted tailgaiting and other aggressive behavior as well.

Archived