Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC Blog, OTA Opinion

Skinsinparadise

I don't understand any logic about ST being unhappy about Landry's impending payday.

He himself was the fifth pick in the draft and got paid as such. Landry is going to be getting paid as the sixth pick in the draft and will be paid as such. It has absolutely no reflection on relative value or worth or ability. It's just the pay system of the league. Taylor benefited from it, now Landry will.

I don't get the issue, if there is one. :confused:

Youre rationale is correct, but that doesnt mean squat. Taylor has been unhappy with his contract for a while and if they Skins bring in another rookie safety who has not played on a Pro Bowl level and pay him more, it is entirely reasonable to think that Taylor might be miffed. Its not logical its reality.

ugg, taylor is the last player we want to lose.

If he keeps not showing up and playing like Lavar part II (ie, big plays on athleticism, lots of missed plays due to lack of discipline) then he will not and should not get the new contract he wants.

Sigh...screw you, JLC. Just screw you, you rotten miserable ****.

Speak the truth?

"Drafting Landry could cause big ripples for the resident hard-hitting safety"

How does that qualify as a truth? Because it MIGHT be true?

If I say "JLC could be fired because he is a caustic, sloppy malcontent who hides behind vague unnamed sources" does that count as true?

Let's hope so.

Somebody please kick this supreme douchebag in the nuts for the sake of human decency.

dang mcmetal ... bringing the pain to ole' JLC!

Sigh...screw you, JLC. Just screw you, you rotten miserable ****.

Speak the truth?

"Drafting Landry could cause big ripples for the resident hard-hitting safety"

How does that qualify as a truth? Because it MIGHT be true?

If I say "JLC could be fired because he is a caustic, sloppy malcontent who hides behind vague unnamed sources" does that count as true?

I'm not saying whether he speaks the truth or not, but the part you quoted uses the word "could" for a reason. And it's a blog.

This OTA is voluntary. In my view voluntary means you do not have to attend. For anyone to think there is a problem with a player who doesn't attend is beyond me.

Why should we expect to hear the Redskins organization make any comments as to why any player was not in attendance when some reasonable excuses might be:

Want to spend more time with the wife and kids.

Dating a hot babe and have plans with her.

Gone fishing or it's turkey hunting season.

Time to do some spring planting.

Enjoying myself partying late and sleeping late.

(these are valid excuses when the OTA is voluntary)

I suggest that new players and those that are not starters choose to attend because they want to make the team and want as much exposure by the coaches as possible. Those starters who attend are most likely here because they want to get back with their teammates (friendship).

He can't help it Ibrahim, it's an unconscious reflex action. Just more of the typical knee-jerk response for the kool-aide crowd.:rolleyes: Anything even remotely negative said about the team automatically equals a vast anti-Redskin conspiracy or is at best interpreted as unimaginable incompetence...be it true or otherwise.

"What, you mean they wrote that the team isn't very good just because we only won 5 games? Morons! They always seem to be hatin' on the Skins." :doh:

:laugh:

I have no problem with the post except for your "Staying away from OTAs is the classic Rosenhaus move, yet he's the agent of choice in these parts. Go figure. Yet another in a long line of mysterious Ashburn phenomena." line.

The players choose their agent, not the team. If it turns out the a lot of players have him as their agent, then that's just the luck of the draw, not the 'skins fault.

I really hope that Taylor does not hold out but I could understand that he woudl be upset about his contact. Another poster pointed out how double A got a huge contract and sucked balls and rode the bench, if I was Taylor that would piss me off. But this is all just pure speculation on our part. I hope he shows up soon and him and double L can start to build a rapport. I will hold out a few more weeks before I start to flip out once we get some more info if he is holding out or not.

I dont understand the line of reasoning around Taylor being upset about the Redskins bringing in another hard hitting safety. Its one thing when management brings in a player that could possibly replace you. Its another when they bring in a player to compliment you, and more specificaly, turn you loose to be a better player. Anytime that happens you are absolutely thrilled to have that guy next to you. What talented player wants 10 bad players around him? He wants 10 great players around him. Just not one competing for his job.

I dont think Taylor is "holding" out or anything of the sort. Landry was brought in to help Taylor, and any money he gets is not going to put Taylor off.

Many of you seem to have glossed over Art's very insightful point that Coach made a deal with the teams leaders. More time off. Coach yielded to the team and yet some players are still complaining. I tolerate a lot of things from my employees, but never defiance. A new contract is between agent and FO. Either you are a member of this team or you are not. Taking your ball and going home should stop being part of your mentality by age 10. Call them voluntary OTAs if you want but Coach wants everyone here. Let your agent make the deal in the background, after all he'll make a million dollars or so when all is said and done.

The guy who did Taylors contract orginally got under market value for the pick.

Which is why he fired his agent and hired Drew pretty much right after he signed that contract.

Signed a seven-year, $18 million contract in July of 2004. 7.2 million signing bonus

source

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38000-2004Aug3.html

Taylor may not have received as much money as Newman ON THE DAY HE SIGNED THE CONTRACT, but he did receive over 13 mill in guarantees making him the highest paid safety in the league at that time. His contract was a bit unusual in that he deferred some of his bonus money over 3 seasons. That was a team-player move though I wonder if Taylor even knew it.

Did he leave money on the table? Probably. But how is that Snyder's problem? Hey Sean - how about seeing if you can put together a solid season followed by an offseason off the police blotter before coming back to the table crying of poverty?

Bottom line - unlike the Cooley situation, the Skins don't have to do a damn thing. Taylor got a $hitload of guaranteed money (Cooley didn't) and he has a 4 years left on his contract (Cooley has 1). And frankly, I wouldn't give him another penny until he shows some kind of consistency on and off the field.

ST's negative feelings certainly won't diminish if Landry comes in getting paid a higher salary, and i can't say that i blame him. the way the skins throw money around at everyone else, I can see why he'd skip out on the OTAs to make a statement. not saying it's the right thing to do or the best way to conduct business, only that i'm not surprised by the course of events.

I dont understand the line of reasoning around Taylor being upset about the Redskins bringing in another hard hitting safety. Its one thing when management brings in a player that could possibly replace you. Its another when they bring in a player to compliment you, and more specificaly, turn you loose to be a better player. Anytime that happens you are absolutely thrilled to have that guy next to you. What talented player wants 10 bad players around him? He wants 10 great players around him. Just not one competing for his job.

I dont think Taylor is "holding" out or anything of the sort. Landry was brought in to help Taylor, and any money he gets is not going to put Taylor off.

The problem with this is that he has stayed away before when he was unhappy with his contract and that time he wasn't even allowed to renegotiate for the next year. As much as I like Taylor he is an odd bird. Hopefully he doesn't become a distraction but there is one thing we do know. He will be there when he absolutely has to be and he will knock the snot out of a lot of people when he is there.

And JLC, you might want to look up the definition of "truth" vs "opinion." You are telling the opinion, not the truth. It may come true but it isn't there yet.

Many of you seem to have glossed over Art's very insightful point that Coach made a deal with the teams leaders. More time off. Coach yielded to the team and yet some players are still complaining. I tolerate a lot of things from my employees, but never defiance. A new contract is between agent and FO. Either you are a member of this team or you are not. Taking your ball and going home should stop being part of your mentality by age 10. Call them voluntary OTAs if you want but Coach wants everyone here. Let your agent make the deal in the background, after all he'll make a million dollars or so when all is said and done.

Whether you like it, this is a common negotiating ploy used in the NFL. So you might as well get used to it.

Ya Taylor needs to honor his deal and being a good teammate while looking for a new deal...

I just don't appreciate JLC not really being neutral as a reporter...you can tell he just does not like the 'skins organization...he is so clearly a Ravens Colts fan B-moron.

It will be interesting to see if ST checks in late to the OTA's or worse, fails to show for the June mini-camp. He is a "hothead" on (and off) the field, probably feels that he ws screwed over by the Skins $$$$-wise a la Lavar ... and now is facing the propective signing of a rookie at a competitive position who probably will be compensated at a higher level. To me this is a very unstable and unhappy scenario.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38000-2004Aug3.html

Taylor may not have received as much money as Newman ON THE DAY HE SIGNED THE CONTRACT, but he did receive over 13 mill in guarantees making him the highest paid safety in the league at that time. His contract was a bit unusual in that he deferred some of his bonus money over 3 seasons. That was a team-player move though I wonder if Taylor even knew it.

Did he leave money on the table? Probably. But how is that Snyder's problem? Hey Sean - how about seeing if you can put together a solid season followed by an offseason off the police blotter before coming back to the table crying of poverty?

Bottom line - unlike the Cooley situation, the Skins don't have to do a damn thing. Taylor got a $hitload of guaranteed money (Cooley didn't) and he has a 4 years left on his contract (Cooley has 1). And frankly, I wouldn't give him another penny until he shows some kind of consistency on and off the field.

I stand corrected on the guaranteed amount. But the contract is also a reason he fired his agent and singed with Drew.

He's made noise about his contract in 05. He thinks he got a raw deal and wants to renegotiate for more upfront cash, like Lloyd, El, Carter and Arch.

I would think he's not going to be overly happy watching two safeties two years in a row coming in and making more than him. Just my :2cents:

It will be interesting to see if ST checks in late to the OTA's or worse, fails to show for the June mini-camp. He is a "hothead" on (and off) the field, probably feels that he ws screwed over by the Skins $$$$-wise a la Lavar ... and now is facing the propective signing of a rookie at a competitive position who probably will be compensated at a higher level. To me this is a very unstable and unhappy scenario.

fortunately its a scenario you alone have dreamed up at this point. IF and PROBABLY are not truths. and the Landrys position is complementary not competitive.

Jason was correct on the Lavar front awhile back. I wasn't a poster at the time, so I don't know if people were calling him out then.

I guess the moral of this story is. If you hate the guy like McMetal does. then don't read his stuff (unlike McMetal).

Personally, I would prefer to read the good with the bad. If it was all good, we'd be a winning franchise, not a losing one right now.

First of all, it's way too early to worry about two players missing a voluntary team activity.

Secondly, Taylor has nothing to be pissed about. He signed a contract as the #5 pick a few years back. If what JLC is saying is true, then what would keep every veteran from demanding a new contract once the new rookie class comes in?

That's not how it works...Taylor will have to deal with his contract since he signed it. If the team decides it's in its best interest to sign Taylor long-term, then that's another thing, but if they're happy with him playing out the last 3 or 4 years and then hitting the market, they should feel no pressure to re-do his deal.

Archived