Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC Blog, OTA Opinion

Skinsinparadise

So, do any of you think that Taylor might possibly be the Archuleta/Lavar/Coles/Bailey of the 2008-2009 offseason?

Think there may have been more reasons to draft a guy like Landry high this year than just that our SS position was so so important even though it had been fine with players we got off the scrap heap in 2004-2005?

There seems to be a short memory here. Remember that Taylor fired his agent and hired Rosenhaus because he felt like his deal was undervalued when he was drafted. So, not only is Landry going to get a better deal because of inflation, it may also be better because Taylor signed a below value deal. (At least in his mind)

Man I wish more people understood this.

Landry will absolutely get more money than Taylor for those reasons.

I just hope Taylor is mature enough to realize those realities also and not hold out because Landry signs for more.

And I hope Rosenarse is not a **** and he doesn't try to convince Taylor to hold out, something I could see happening.

You guys act like he just wrote Mein Kampf.

Take a chillpill guys. Relax.

While I don't think JLC knows his arse from a hole in the ground I still think the insanity and attacks over this blog are a bit wild.

Everyone should relax a bit for sure. Have a drink and realize it's 4 months to the day until our kickoff against Miami!

:cheers:

mountains outta molehills right now.

Last year we had almost a 100% turnout on OTAs/workouts (Arch the only one missing if memory serves) and we went 5-11..........

so I'm not worried.

And nobody seems to mention that if Taylor is pissed about a contract, it might stem back to last years signing of Arch, paying him "highest paid safety" money and then planning to only use him in certain packages instead of being a full-time starter (that was apparently the plan before PP was injured).

So in the end Arch was the higest paid safety playing STs......yet Taylor was a full time starter and playing STs and not getting paid like Arch, yep I think that would piss off Taylor a bit.

Wasnt Taylor made to be the highest paid safety in the league (or damn close) when he came out in 2004? Seems he benefitted quite well from the injustice of the draft back then. Is Taylor even halfway through his rookie contract? Tell me the last time a team tore up a contract of a player drafted in the top 10 after 3 years? Doesn't happen. Know why? Because they WERE taken care of from the get go, unlike players who fall out of the first round and end up playing like a pro bowler while getting paid like an average starter. Those players have a legit gripe.

The guy who did Taylors contract orginally got under market value for the pick.

In 2003 Terence Newman was the 5th pick.

Newman agreed to a seven-year contract worth $33.4 million with the Cowboys in July 2003, including a $13.1 million signing bonus and $15 million base salary for 2009.

In 2004 Taylor was the 5th pick.

Signed a seven-year, $18 million contract in July of 2004. 7.2 million signing bonus

Which is why he fired his agent and hired Drew pretty much right after he signed that contract.

source

If Taylor really wants a new contract bad enough to hint at threatening a hold-out, we should pay him to a new 6-7 year deal right now.

Not because he's a great player and we're in love with him or anything, but merely because we can sign him to an extension now and pay MUCH less than we will have to in 3-4 years when his contract is up.

How old is Sean? 25? If his contract runs out in 3 years, he'll be 29 and likely one of the most highly coveted free agents on the market (assuming his play doesn't drop off or he gets injured). In such a case, signing him would be a lot more expensive down the road. If we sign him to a new 6-year contract this offseason, we'll have him until Sean in 31, in which case his market will have dried up a bit, being over the 30 hurdle, and re-signing him (assuming the team wants to) again to keep him in B&G for life will be less.

If we have the cap space, go ahead and do it. And sign Cooley while you're at it.

Man. Tell me about it. That would be bad news. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a contractual thing. He has always been a bit peeved about his contract and if Landry comes in and gets a giant one, that won't go over well. That would be 2 years in a row they bring in a super high price guy and passed ST over for a contractual raise. And what about Cooley? :doh:

I have faith in this FO to give ST a big contract, they did it for cornerstones like Jansen and Samuels. Taylor is the cornerstone of this secondary.

If Taylor really wants a new contract bad enough to hint at threatening a hold-out, we should pay him to a new 6-7 year deal right now.

Not because he's a great player and we're in love with him or anything, but merely because we can sign him to an extension now and pay MUCH less than we will have to in 3-4 years when his contract is up.

How old is Sean? 25? If his contract runs out in 3 years, he'll be 29 and likely one of the most highly coveted free agents on the market (assuming his play doesn't drop off or he gets injured). In such a case, signing him would be a lot more expensive down the road. If we sign him to a new 6-year contract this offseason, we'll have him until Sean in 31, in which case his market will have dried up a bit, being over the 30 hurdle, and re-signing him (assuming the team wants to) again to keep him in B&G for life will be less.

If we have the cap space, go ahead and do it. And sign Cooley while you're at it.

That's what many have been echoing for some time as well. We need to keep the guy happy and at least explore a contract extension soon. A mere phone call from Snyder or whomever might mean a lot to the guy. I do disagree with you about him not being a great player though - if that is ineed what you meant. I do think he is a great player and the only true playmaker we had on defense last year - granted his performance was not stellar every game either.

It means nothing anymore it seems regardless of the duration of the contract you sign or if you are slapped with the franchise tag. If the player is not happy with his contract, he has most of the leverage from what I can discern. Sure, we can fine the **** out of the person if applicable but if it comes to that irreparable damage likely will have been done - at that point you may or may not get good value in a trade or worst case scenario a prolonged hold out. It makes sense to keep the guys happy - especially productive and unique players like Sean.

The guy who did Taylors contract orginally got under market value for the pick.

In 2003 Terence Newman was the 5th pick.

In 2004 Taylor was the 5th pick.

Which is why he fired his agent and hired Drew pretty much right after he signed that contract.

source

Taylor is five times better then Newman so he deserves to get payed, have faith in the FO

I don't understand any logic about ST being unhappy about Landry's impending payday.

He himself was the fifth pick in the draft and got paid as such. Landry is going to be getting paid as the sixth pick in the draft and will be paid as such. It has absolutely no reflection on relative value or worth or ability. It's just the pay system of the league. Taylor benefited from it, now Landry will.

I don't get the issue, if there is one. :confused:

It makes sense to me. Landry will likely be paid A LOT MORE than Taylor because today's salary structure has skyrocketed from Taylor's time. So we all talk about the 2 stud safetys. One of them hasn't played a down yet and will be paid much higher than a guy who already apparently thinks he's underpaid. Veterans usually expect to get paid more than rookies. Now this is how it all goes down really based on luck, Landry came out at a better time for a higher pay scale. But it is what it is. I can envision Taylor wanting more based on this.

NCR,

Appreciate the input brother, but, I judge every statement on the merits of the statement. When Jason reveals something insightful, I'll probably completely agree with him. Here, the opinion he offers is that he's "speaking the truth" and that it's not a big deal Taylor isn't there, if he's not there in an unexpected fashion, requires one to question the conclusions.

But, you'll see me be complimentary of Jason as well when he writes something that strikes me as compliment worthy. To be fair, it won't likely be his blog because I don't happen to find him nearly as charming as he finds himself, but, that is a style element for everyone to determine themselves.

Jason, for better or much worse, is a message board poster here. He just does it by proxy :).

I do disagree with you about him not being a great player though - if that is ineed what you meant.

No, I think he is a great player as well. Well, better than great, he's among the top at his position as is, and will be THE top FS in the league when the rest of the defense is clicking.

I meant that the main reason we re-sign him shouldn't be because of his play on the field, but because it will be drastically cheaper now than 3-4 years from now. But when you put both factors together, it's hard to argue against re-signing him, especially with cap space available and the possibility of Spring getting cut.

No, I think he is a great player as well. Well, better than great, he's among the top as his position as is, and will be THE top FS in the league when the rest of the defense is clicking.

I meant that the main reason we re-sign him shouldn't be because of his play on the field, but because it will be drastically cheaper now than 3-4 years from now. But when you put both factors together, it's hard to argue against re-signing him, especially with cap space available and the possibility of Spring getting cut.

Okay, that's what I thought R.S. - Caffeine has yet to kick in :D

I agree. Let's get a deal done sooner than later. It just makes sense.

Springs or Taylor not being there should surprise no one. I've stated many times before that I'm not a big fan of Taylor because it is only a matter of time before this does indeed become an issue. Is it yet? Only time will tell.

Springs IMO has every right to feel the way he does because he's been jerked around this offseason. We can't afford to lose this guy because of our inadequacies on the DL.

Oh and Jason if you're reading this (according to Art you are always reading this site) just wanted you to know that some of us enjoy your opinions and they really don't differ that much from many 'skins fans. Apparently, w/out naming names, you have many fans and some are obsessed with your every word. :doh: Now give me a shout out in your blog. :D

Someday, people will come to understand the difference between news and opinion.

And all will be well with the world.

Or, more likely, they, and it, will not.

It's a ****ing blog. Maybe one day you will be able to differentiate the two. Maybe if you and your compadres were a little less arrogant you wouldn't receive the backlash that you do. I know, that's how you roll. :rolleyes:

My #1 worry with this whole issue is that the front office might think - "well, if Sean Taylor doesn't want to come to these practices, he's a bad seed, so let's trade him or cut him because we have a replacement in Landry now."

I was all in favor of drafting Landry (and called in months ago, btw), but a small part of me wonders if he was meant not to just complement Taylor, but to replace him if Taylor becomes too much of a liability or unpredictable.

This would really be sad if this happens. I think Landry is the type of player that can really make ST shine in the backfield. It would be a damn shame if we don't get to see what our defense can be with both of them back there.

Here's to all of this worry just being offseason boredom and over-speculation by obsessive fans and annoying sportswriters just trying to get attention.

:cheers:

Oh yeah, one more thing - :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck

It's a ****ing blog. Maybe one day you will be able to differentiate the two. Maybe if you and your compadres were a little less arrogant you wouldn't receive the backlash that you do. I know, that's how you roll. :rolleyes:

Try going back and reading my comment again. Only this time read it as if I was talking about message board posters, not JLC. Which I was.

Did you reply to the right comment?

Guys, Taylor wants to get paid for 2 reasons

1. He made the pro bowl, albeit he might not have had the most pro bowl worthy season, he made it.

2. Landry got drafted at 6, and while Taylor was drafted at 5, Taylor has an 8 year deal. Now also, every year, there is inflation, and say the 5th pick of 2004 had a guranteed 12 mill, the 2007 5th pick will get 16 mill guranteed. See ST's gripe?

I can't see how a predetermined contract (based solely on draft position) can be a gripe for Sean when he has benefitted himself to the tune of 10s of millions of $$$. If he was a low round draft who was being underpaid then sure but he isn't, he is already more than financially secure for life BECAUSE of the inequalities of draft contracts.

That being said we don't know why he isn't there trying to build a rapport with his new Safety partner, welcoming him to the NFL and the Redskins, whilst getting to grips with how the Safety position is evolving within our organisation.

Its all just speculation. There are a bunch of OTA's leading up till the real camp starts up. If Taylor would want to renegotiate he wouldn't be entirely out of rights. And as I said.. the OTA's just started up. Worry about something after it is worth worrying about, not before.

Archived