Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC Blog, OTA Opinion

Skinsinparadise

I am a big Taylor fan, and I really hope he turns it on and becomes the player I think he can be. I hope this year was just an aberration. I hope he was just overcompensating for lack of talent in the secondary.

Now here is the but, I am starting to get a deja vu feeling with him. It's like Lavar II. Master of the big hit, but ignores assignments that lead to huge plays for the other team. Also going for the kill hit and allowing a first down because he missed it.

This coming year is going to define him, at least for me. He needs to make strides in taking care of his responsibilities in coverage. I don't want him to become our new Lavar. Where we all talk about his potential if he just fulfills it.

I stand corrected on the guaranteed amount. But the contract is also a reason he fired his agent and singed with Drew.

He's made noise about his contract in 05. He thinks he got a raw deal and wants to renegotiate for more upfront cash, like Lloyd, El, Carter and Arch.

I would think he's not going to be overly happy watching two safeties two years in a row coming in and making more than him. Just my :2cents:

How does: Not ONE, but TWO first rounders and an additional Second sound?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38000-2004Aug3.html

Taylor may not have received as much money as Newman ON THE DAY HE SIGNED THE CONTRACT, but he did receive over 13 mill in guarantees making him the highest paid safety in the league at that time. His contract was a bit unusual in that he deferred some of his bonus money over 3 seasons. That was a team-player move though I wonder if Taylor even knew it.

Did he leave money on the table? Probably. But how is that Snyder's problem? Hey Sean - how about seeing if you can put together a solid season followed by an offseason off the police blotter before coming back to the table crying of poverty?

Bottom line - unlike the Cooley situation, the Skins don't have to do a damn thing. Taylor got a $hitload of guaranteed money (Cooley didn't) and he has a 4 years left on his contract (Cooley has 1). And frankly, I wouldn't give him another penny until he shows some kind of consistency on and off the field.

:applause: This is by far the most candid post that I have seen today!

NCR, Jason, for better or much worse, is a message board poster here. He just does it by proxy :).

I post a lot of his blogs because am a fiend looking for Skins info so I post lots of news stuff when I find it. Not saying Art's saying its me. But for the record if Jason is posting on the blog, its not via me. I've argued with some of his posts, especially the D line stuff. I don't mind Jason even though I don't per se agree with some of his stuff -- I am into anybody in the off season who wants to give Skins news or editorial whether I agree with them or not.

By the way if you guys disagree with him on stuff as I did with his post on the D line, one thing I'll say is you can send him an email about it and he responds.

Onedrop ... I think you are in denial ... we have no heard the last of ST's shenannigans.

the only think that im in denial over is this imaginary situation you have created. the ONLY thing we know currently is that ST is not at the VOLUNTARY OTA.

you have the guy not showing up at all, then posibly missing mini camp, pulling a "lavar", PROBABLY feeling screwed over and feeling that the guy they brought in to assist him is somehow competition. talk about assumptions, good lord.

"It will be interesting to see if ST checks in late to the OTA's or worse, fails to show for the June mini-camp. He is a "hothead" on (and off) the field, probably feels that he ws screwed over by the Skins $$$$-wise a la Lavar ... and now is facing the propective signing of a rookie at a competitive position who probably will be compensated at a higher level. To me this is a very unstable and unhappy scenario."

On another note ... I doubt JLC is a Skins' fan ... he is merely doing a job that he may not necessarily enjoy ... liike a liberal reporter being assigned to and covering the Iraq war against terror. That being so ... he brings a bias to the table ... I've gotten used to it and so should all Skins fans ... we are not being forced to read his stuff, let alone swallow it.

Sigh...screw you, JLC. Just screw you, you rotten miserable ****.

Speak the truth?

"Drafting Landry could cause big ripples for the resident hard-hitting safety"

How does that qualify as a truth? Because it MIGHT be true?

If I say "JLC could be fired because he is a caustic, sloppy malcontent who hides behind vague unnamed sources" does that count as true?

Let's hope so.

Somebody please kick this supreme douchebag in the nuts for the sake of human decency.

Hey, hey, hey....JLC is a fan also. Theres some merit there to what he's saying. Go with God brah.....go with God.

Was listening to Bram Weinstein's show just now and he made an interesting point IMO. His point is Sean Taylor the type of player that is willing to do all the extra things to move from being a very good player to an elite player. Often that difference involves intangibles such as off season work, preparation, desire to be the best. I am not so sure Sean Taylor is hungry in that way, he generally eschews any voluntary prep stuff with the Skins and is not known as a guy who studys a ton of tape before games.

Strangely, thinking about what I've read about Landry -- Landry seems to have more of those intangibles. And actually could become the better safety for it. Don't get me wrong I love Taylor but his image isn't of a workaholic or a huge prep guy. I think he's a beast of an athlete who puts everything he has on the field. Landry is described as a similar type of athlete but also a determined football geek who likes to prepare and is a perfectionist.

Onedrop ... you are entitled to your faith in ST as I'm entitled to disagree ... I think events will prove my scenario is more likely than not. I hope I'm wrong. ST is a time bomb waiting to explode!

you are attempting to have a debate that doesnt exist. nowhere in this thread have i stated any "faith" in ST. i have simply pointed out that you are making assumptions based on conjecture based on theory.

i do however find it interesting that you have such a low opinion of Sean and insist he is a "time bomb waiting to explode" while also thinking that he is somehow in competition with newly acquired Landry. of whom you list yourself as president of his fan club.

On another note ... I doubt JLC is a Skins' fan ... he is merely doing a job that he may not necessarily enjoy ... liike a liberal reporter being assigned to and covering the Iraq war against terror. That being so ... he brings a bias to the table ... I've gotten used to it and so should all Skins fans ... we are not being forced to read his stuff, let alone swallow it.

I like the way you expressed this!

Onedrop ... how perceptive ... I've always been down on ST ... I threw a rubber brick at the TV when he was drafted over Winslow II. And he has not disappointed my low expectations ... he is physically talented ... yes (like a thug may be) ... but as a football player he lacks judgement, discipline, instincts and anticipation ... IMO he will never fullfill the hugh expectations the ST lovers have ... Landry, IMO, will be the great cover safety Taylor never was or could be. If I were the Skins, I would try and trade ST before its too late.

Onedrop ... how perceptive ... I've always been down on ST ... I threw a rubber brick at the TV when he was drafted over Winslow II. And he has not disappointed my low expectations ... he is physically talented ... yes (like a thug may be) ... but as a football player he lacks judgement, discipline, instincts and anticipation ... IMO he will never fullfill the hugh expectations the ST lovers have ... Landry, IMO, will be the great cover safety Taylor never was or could be. If I were the Skins, I would try and trade ST before its too late.

right, so its a personal thing with you. ST has been great for us except last year and last year the entire D was bad. with all his skills and talent, with the flashes of brilliance hes shown you would still trade ST yet you think that a rookie who has never played a down of pro ball will be great and proclaim yourself the pres. of his fan club. bitter? seriously, did ST run over your dog or something?

you hate on a proven commodity and put all of your faith in guy that has yet to play. makes no sense.

I'm siding with Jason in this issue. And I'll give him credit for taking some of the sting out of his comments. This blog seems to be more objective and what I'd respect from a reporter. GJ JLC.

It really does bother me that SeanT isn't there. I mean we've all been convinced that fixing the secondary will help the line get by for this year. And now when one of the lynchpins of that is choosing to go AWOL when he needs to do a better job in coverage and studying scares the hell outta me.

SeanT is awesome when he's in the right place. But his penchant for playing based on what he thinks will happen instead of what he knows will happen gets him (and our Defense) in big trouble at times. He gets burned way too often on play action. To me, you prove that you're going to be a good student and really learn the scheme then you'll get the big payday. Why should the team reward him for a couple big hits every year?

Hey, hey, hey....JLC is a fan also. Theres some merit there to what he's saying. Go with God brah.....go with God.

Ehh, my venom is now maxed out. He's not going to change, and a bitter, petty person like this does not merit the aggravation, I've decided.

I maintain though, that it's a shame that this is the best they can do for local coverage. People that actually like following this team deserve better.

And I would never in a million years classify this muckraking crank as a fan. His only avowed interest in seeing the team do better is so his job will be easier.

You don't have to be a fawning homer, but it's even worse ranting from the other side of the spectrum.

Why must ST always cause some kind of trouble? And why do people still defend him as being a great guy, who always has the best interest of the team on his mind.

Dont get me wrong, i have a 16X20 of him in my room, looking like a beast, and when i have spoken to him (yea just a breif couple of seconds) he seems really nice, but the guy just doesnt seem to have his head on straight.

1. The ATV

2. Signing a bum deal, blaming his agent, and firing him right away

3. Spittting in the tampa game

4. Missing a team scheduled charity event in 05

5. Missing the same event in '06

6. Missing OTAs in '06

When are we going to stop defending him?

As far as JLC saying "missing OTAs are not a big deal," i believe that statement was referring to the fact that lots of players around the league miss OTAs, however his statement should be taken in context. (which someone people seem to have taken it out of)

He goes on to describe why Taylor missing OTAs actually seems to be a problem that has been building for a while, so JLC does say that the specific case of taylor missing OTAs is a problem.

Onedrop ... it may be personal ... but it is also objective ... see thomasroane's intelligent post ... I adopt his reasoning as my own!

his post does make sense. however, you take it further and if ones views are coming from personal feeling they are by definition SUBJECTIVE not objective.

I don't think JLC is a 'Skins fan. In fact I seem to recall that he specifically stated that he was a Ravens fan, but I could be wrong.

Maybe this post is where I got that idea from:

As you guys know, I am a Baltimore guy through and through and love my hometown, but we do tend to lose perspective sometimes. Regarless, though, this game means much more than football to folks around here. I am bracing for what should be the most charged game-time atmosphere I have ever seen. Wish the press box windows were open so I could truly appreciate the noise.

More on the blog....

As for other Skins news, I heard the team was pretty impressed with Brian Westbrook's kid brother, Byron. and if/when they create a little more roster room to sign a defensive player or two, he will get a real good look. Westbrook, another lad with local ties, was a corner at Salisbury. I also get the feeling they might sign another undrafted LB or two who they had in rookie camp last weekend.

Keep an eye on Nick Bunting (Tulsa), Zach Latimer (Oklahoma) and Mario Reese (Minnesota) - not all of them but maybe two of them - as possible guys to join the team in the next few weeks.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

I am a big Taylor fan, and I really hope he turns it on and becomes the player I think he can be. I hope this year was just an aberration. I hope he was just overcompensating for lack of talent in the secondary.

Now here is the but, I am starting to get a deja vu feeling with him. It's like Lavar II. Master of the big hit, but ignores assignments that lead to huge plays for the other team. Also going for the kill hit and allowing a first down because he missed it.

This coming year is going to define him, at least for me. He needs to make strides in taking care of his responsibilities in coverage. I don't want him to become our new Lavar. Where we all talk about his potential if he just fulfills it.

I'm right there with you, Bob. It scares me quite a bit, actually. I'm starting to get a little pessimistic about it. He could be so good but who knows if he'll ever do what it takes to realize the potential. God I hate that word. :laugh:

Hope so Steveo ... the Skins need LBers with fresh legs (and energy). I saw Latimer in the East-West game ... lookes like he has the body of a ILBer at least. Sartz also was in the game ... didn't do much to distinguish however. I miss the days of Hanburger and Coleman.

Archived