Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC Blog, OTA Opinion

Skinsinparadise

Same reason Tony Gonzalez wanted a new contract after Vernon Davis was drafted and became the highest-paid tight end in the league before ever playing a snap. Taylor feels that some rookie who's never played in an NFL jersey before shouldn't be making more than him, and I can't say I completely disagree.

Then you know what? The NFLPA needs to go back to the drawing board with regards to rookie contracts. They need to stop letting the agents bully them into a rookie scale to their liking instead of a rookie scale to the leagues liking.

IMO rookies should get paid veteran's minimum and below for their first 3 years. If they prove they are better, tear up the contract and renegotiate. There's a rookie scale in the NBA that they started when H.S. players were earning more than most veterans. When they had the lockout, that was one of the points of contention. Now the rookies are "locked in" to a certain amount that doesn't exceed the veterans.

Also, I think pro sports needs to start hiding salaries like in the working world. One employee is not supposed to know what the other employee is making. I'd rather see all terms go undisclosed and let the player, team, league and agents be the only one's who know what they make. Then all this manly-man posturing will stop.

Then you know what? The NFLPA needs to go back to the drawing board with regards to rookie contracts. They need to stop letting the agents bully them into a rookie scale to their liking instead of a rookie scale to the leagues liking.

IMO rookies should get paid veteran's minimum and below for their first 3 years. If they prove they are better, tear up the contract and renegotiate. There's a rookie scale in the NBA that they started when H.S. players were earning more than most veterans. When they had the lockout, that was one of the points of contention. Now the rookies are "locked in" to a certain amount that doesn't exceed the veterans.

Also, I think pro sports needs to start hiding salaries like in the working world. One employee is not supposed to know what the other employee is making. I'd rather see all terms go undisclosed and let the player, team, league and agents be the only one's who know what they make. Then all this manly-man posturing will stop.

I could not agree more, with every single word of this post.

Problem is, agents know what other players are making and there is nothing that keeps them from using that information. Also, the obsfucation doesn't prevent a player from asking for more money publically.

It also would be difficult to do cap analysis without knowing contract details.

Jason

Sigh...screw you, JLC. Just screw you, you rotten miserable ****.

Speak the truth?

"Drafting Landry could cause big ripples for the resident hard-hitting safety"

How does that qualify as a truth? Because it MIGHT be true?

If I say "JLC could be fired because he is a caustic, sloppy malcontent who hides behind vague unnamed sources" does that count as true?

Let's hope so.

Somebody please kick this supreme douchebag in the nuts for the sake of human decency.

:applause: :laugh: I literally crack up laughing everytime I read this. Classic stuff!!! :laugh:

I wish they would stop calling it optional, that would confuse me, as well as Sean Taylor. I'd think rookies and people that are trying to make the team, definitely need to be there. But if you expect every person to be there, and it's a huge thing when they take the other option, then make them mandatory. If my work has an optional training session, you can bet your ass that I won't be there. If it's optional then attendance should not be taken. Let Sean do what he wants, he'll be killing people come game day.

HI JLC, can I come to the press box sometime? I don't get to go to many games. Thanks buddy.

OFF-TOPIC BUT HIGHLY NECESSARY:

....I feel like this thread exposed a couple of you guys as pure haters, incapable of reading something without throwing a hissy fit. McMetal and Art, I'm looking at you two.

The dude just wrote a blog about how the word on the street is that Springs is staying in Arizona because he thinks he'll be on a different team in a couple of months, and Taylor is MIA most likely because he wants to renegotiate his contract...

Art, honestly I think it's getting to the point where you have lost all reason. To you, anything JLC says is stupid....

Take a chillpill guys. Relax.

I'm in agreement.

You can tell who live to argue around here, even at the expense of logic.

Whatever happend to being open minded and objective.

Take the good with the bad.

Even your favorite team sometimes had a bad moment or two.

The one constant of the idiotic negative crowd is their endless need to tell everyone else they are just speaking the truth and keeping it real. It's actually a remarkably funny thing to behold. And, once again, Jason shows his complete inability to understand football in any way. His statement, "Now, skipping OTAs is no major offense ..." reveals his own thoughts as HE is skipping them himself, but, bear no reflection on the actual importance of missing these workouts.

Jason even seems to understand Gibbs thinks these things are important, yet, can't let that sway his truthful impression it isn't. You see, Jason covers sports, but doesn't GET sports. He doesn't get team. If Taylor is missing OTAs for an unknown reason, voluntary or not, it's a big deal on many levels. Gibbs made a deal with the leaders of the team to give them more freedom. Those leaders had to bring the concerns of the team to him, and they took back Gibbs' answer.

Missing out in an unexpected, uncommunicated way -- should that be the case here -- is a very major issue because Taylor will not be showing respect to the leaders who went to bat for the welfare of every player, instead doing his own thing. OTAs are important this year more than in the past because of the freedom up to this point. It's Taylor betraying the leaders of his team and the team itself.

It's important for him to show up unless he worked out why he couldn't. Now, Taylor gets special treatment by the organization. And, these are voluntary workouts, so, they can't punish him. But, he can arrive at camp again on the bench working his way back into the lineup. He's good enough that won't take long, but, anyone who understands team dynamics knows if he's blowing this off -- and we don't know that's the case -- it's a big deal.

But, I should be careful. I don't want to tell you I'm just telling the truth or anything.

I agree on almost everything you say. But just try to put your self in Taylor's or any pro athlete's shoe's. If you are prodigy or absolutely great at something you do, say it be writing (which im not that sharp at), accounting, bio physics, brain surgery, anything where there are a limited amount of jobs that require your specific skills, say 32 jobs in the whole world. If you are one of the best, say top 5 to be safe, wouldnt you want to get paid for your and a million abitlity? There arent to many ST in the world. Pay that man his money

I guess we didnt to hate on JLC for this post considering the new WP print article by HB, where teammates say Taylor is unhappy with his deal.

I didn't hate on him here for that. I hated on him here for not understanding it's a big deal.

I didn't hate on him here for that. I hated on him here for not understanding it's a big deal.
I know Art, i agree with you. For once i wasnt trying to break your balls.:cheers: . Some of the others who posted that JLC was just starting things for fun ect ect

I agree on almost everything you say. But just try to put your self in Taylor's or any pro athlete's shoe's. If you are prodigy or absolutely great at something you do, say it be writing (which im not that sharp at), accounting, bio physics, brain surgery, anything where there are a limited amount of jobs that require your specific skills, say 32 jobs in the whole world. If you are one of the best, say top 5 to be safe, wouldnt you want to get paid for your and a million abitlity? There arent to many ST in the world. Pay that man his money

Taylor's getting paid well for his abilities and he'll get paid again for them at least once more in his career. Frankly, I think athletes fail to realize how much MORE than can make by being a local hero and even being considered somewhat selfless. See Darrell Green who will be beloved and get paid in ways that fulfill him for his entire life because of who he was for the fans. Mercenary players are never beloved. Taylor is well positioned to be a hero who gets to ride off his name for the rest of eternity if he does things right. If he doesn't, he'd better make a lot of money, because you'll never hear from him or WANT to hear from him when he's done with football.

NCR,

Appreciate the input brother, but, I judge every statement on the merits of the statement. When Jason reveals something insightful, I'll probably completely agree with him. Here, the opinion he offers is that he's "speaking the truth" and that it's not a big deal Taylor isn't there, if he's not there in an unexpected fashion, requires one to question the conclusions.

But, you'll see me be complimentary of Jason as well when he writes something that strikes me as compliment worthy. To be fair, it won't likely be his blog because I don't happen to find him nearly as charming as he finds himself, but, that is a style element for everyone to determine themselves.

Jason, for better or much worse, is a message board poster here. He just does it by proxy :).

You seem like a proxy of your own over-inflated ego.

You caught him in a catch-22; had he said that Taylor missing the OTA was very important and completely proved his prediction about drafting Landry creating an issue, you would have jumped all over him for crying how the sky was falling in Ashburn. Since he downplayed it you jumped on him for that. You did not even address the crux of his assertions, just dissected one little phrase and asserted Gibbs felt differently so JLC is an idiot. Good job!

PS This time last season didn't you and Gibbs think we were going to have a great 2006 season? JLC was right then too while you were wrong, wasn't he?

You seem like a proxy of your own over-inflated ego.

You caught him in a catch-22; had he said that Taylor missing the OTA was very important and completely proved his prediction about drafting Landry creating an issue, you would have jumped all over him for crying how the sky was falling in Ashburn. Since he downplayed it you jumped on him for that. You did not even address the crux of his assertions, just dissected one little phrase and asserted Gibbs felt differently so JLC is an idiot. Good job!

PS This time last season didn't you and Gibbs think we were going to have a great 2006 season? JLC was right then too while you were wrong, wasn't he?

His sole "assertion" was his view was it wasn't a big deal and he speaks the truth. The other portions were generally sourced to other people and were not his assertions, but the information of others. I didn't speak to the parts sourced to others because it seems perfectly reasonable information of the unsurprising variety. The two areas he offered his opinion, I did offer mine.

No one is suggesting the sky is falling in Ashburn and Jason wouldn't have suggested so had he allowed that if the people running the franchise view missing the team sessions without any contact is a big deal, then it probably is a big deal, because, hey, they're making the decisions as to that type of thing. Jason even went on to explain precisely why it IS a big deal, especially for Taylor, so, my guess is, having heard criticism of his incredibly uninformed opinions, he decided to throw people a bone and went against what even HE knew to be true.

It is a big deal for players to blow the team off in such sessions. Entirely different than at least having the respect to make contact and put some rationale on the table, be it contract, or simply needing "me" time. I have no earthly idea what Jason thought last season would hold. I imagine he would have thought we were going to be at least an acceptably competitive, good team, given the media herd mentality that puts teams that did well up as good teams the following year and bad teams as bad ones the following year without ever doing more than puffing up one or two breakout teams a year, largely incorrectly.

In the end, I'll put up my statements against anyone elses without too much concern I'm speaking out of my butt :).

Missing out in an unexpected, uncommunicated way -- should that be the case here -- is a very major issue because Taylor will not be showing respect to the leaders who went to bat for the welfare of every player, instead doing his own thing. OTAs are important this year more than in the past because of the freedom up to this point. It's Taylor betraying the leaders of his team and the team itself.

It's important for him to show up unless he worked out why he couldn't. Now, Taylor gets special treatment by the organization. And, these are voluntary workouts, so, they can't punish him. But, he can arrive at camp again on the bench working his way back into the lineup. He's good enough that won't take long, but, anyone who understands team dynamics knows if he's blowing this off -- and we don't know that's the case -- it's a big deal.

Here's the problem with this WHOLE situation. "it's a big deal..." and the thought that "It's Taylor betraying the leaders of his team and the team itself."

This is BS false loyalty superimposed on the teams best player aka known as politics. Honestly, since Taylor did play both FS and SS (hypothetically because AA was really a waterboy in pads) doesn't he have a right to feel even a bit betrayed by the organization? They give some has been system player oogles of money while he did ALL the work and now what the team is doing, is trying to save face with this BS.

The practices were'nt mandatory. Whether encouraged or not, if you want the guys there you make them mandatory. This has nothing to do with ST being 'above' the organization or 'getting special treatment'. If I'm ST, I don't go either. What's the point if all its going to be is a pep rally for rooks and those who want to make the team?

Maybe ST should have gone to the combine as well....then maybe Gibbs would have been happy!

If ST starts acting like TO, then the organization will deal with it. But for now, lets stop turning this into a TO soap opera crisis when ST is doing nothing of the sorts.

SeanT is awesome when he's in the right place. But his penchant for playing based on what he thinks will happen instead of what he knows will happen gets him (and our Defense) in big trouble at times. He gets burned way too often on play action. To me, you prove that you're going to be a good student and really learn the scheme then you'll get the big payday. Why should the team reward him for a couple big hits every year?

WHY SHOULD A TEAM REWARD HIM FOR A COUPLE OF BIG HITS EVERY YEAR?

:doh:.................

Here's Sean Taylor Career Stats:

Year, Tackles, Solo Ts, Assists, Sacks, Ints, Pass Deflections.

04 76 60 16 1 4 9

05 70 60 10 1 2 10

06 111 86 25 0 1 6

I think we're seeing the problem with Greg Williams's defense with practically NO ONE starting at Strong Safety. In '06 ST had to play the run much more which shows why there is a huge increase in tackles (btw, you don't want your FS leading the team in tackles which ST did thanks to our horrid LB and DT play). Basically, he played 3 positions...FS, SS, and WLB. Worthless Warrick Holdman was pathetic and Troy Vincent was too old. Anyone who has to make up for the lack of effective teammates will get 'burned' by the playaction...its the nature of the game.

As for the reason behind the lack of effective teammates...well, that happens to be thanks to Greg Williams, our coaching staff in general, and our FO. Seriously, if Snyder and the coaching staff screw up with ST like they did with Arrington, Pierce, and Clark, you can have this team.

It will have resorted to a ticket selling, fan exploiting, petting zoo where new favorites are brought in every year to replace the guys that actually work hard and give their best for the team game in and game out....ok, maybe Lavar doesn't exactly fit that catogory, but still.

If any of you guys can question that Sean didn't do that last year, you need to go cheer for the Cowboys and Roy Williams. You forget that our D sucked overall but I don't see how you can hit him up when he did everything he could...and the stats prove it.

Gibbs can play politics all he wants...the bottom line is that ST doesn't play that, he plays football. This JLC is a joke who's just creating buzz for a buck.

Archived