Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shock and Awe?

Koolblue13

People over in the stadium are calling ST and LL this and I find it a little offensive. Am I overreacting? It makes me think of all the American kids who have died up to this point fighting in the Middle East. 3,237 dead and 25,080 wounded, I don't know how many are crippled or close enough to it. I think about how none of them will ever play football again and it doesn't seem like a fair comment. I feel like America takes this war a little to lightly as a whole and this kind of supports it. Just figured I'de get some others opionons.

The Univeristy of Miami team is called the Hurracaines - Is that insensitive after Katrina?

A long pass is called a Bomb? Is that bad?

Linebackers or DB's rushing is called a Blitz - Wrong?

I living in Southern CA on a fault line that if (and when) it moves will kill thousands - We call our minor league team the Quakes and they play at the Epicenter.

Yes -Your being overly sensitive.

I don't find it offensive, wasn't it the American military who coined the term to begin with?

But maybe you're right, maybe we've been desensitized by so much talk of the war and we're taking it too lightly.

On the other hand, it could just be that we haven't seen enough real pictures from the war to know what things really look like over there.

The 24/7 television media does a good job of keeping all of the footage and pictures G rated, as not to offend the American public while they are trying to eat dinner during the news.

The 24/7 television media does a good job of keeping all of the footage and pictures G rated, as not to offend the American public while they are trying to eat dinner during the news.

Yeah here on my local news... get this... they said "as a warning to our viewers, this following video is graphic, but we're the only people to have it, therefore don't change the channel, also don't attempt to turn your TV off, we have the technology to disable your remote"

Yeah... the news sucks...

I'm with the majority, but mostly, I think it is premature. I don't like giving nicknames to guys who haven't even been on the field for a single regular season snap yet. I think the names need to come from the games or history. This stuff is just hype. Let's let someone earn their nickname or have their play merit it.

When I think of Shock & Awe... I think of this..

Ball.jpg

Shock & Awe (Released Mar 2005)

Shock & Awe, what is it you ask? Designed with angularity in mind……. Vanguard Core Technology will once again raise the bar to a “whole” new level. With the addition of a dense lower torque cap to help generate sudden changes in direction, and by surrounding it with our new Performance Pearl Reactive cover; we have designed a ball that will quite simply leave the competition in Shock & Awe.

http://www.morichbowling.com/ShockAndAwe/InfoSheet.asp

So, yeah.. you are overreacting.

When I think of Shock & Awe... I think of this..

Ball.jpg

Shock & Awe (Released Mar 2005)

Shock & Awe, what is it you ask? Designed with angularity in mind……. Vanguard Core Technology will once again raise the bar to a “whole” new level. With the addition of a dense lower torque cap to help generate sudden changes in direction, and by surrounding it with our new Performance Pearl Reactive cover; we have designed a ball that will quite simply leave the competition in Shock & Awe.

http://www.morichbowling.com/ShockAndAwe/InfoSheet.asp

So, yeah.. you are overreacting.

P_G, you're the only bowling :geek: I know. :laugh:

I would feel more offended for the thousands of innocent Iraqis who lost their lives in the "shock and awe" campaign at the outset of the war, but . . .

I don't. It's just not offensive to me. Then again, I might not be a very good barometer of that sort of thing.

Personally, I hope our secondary is a bit more effective than the military air campaign was. I want to "win," whatever that means.

Was anybody really shocked that we could bomb with impunity? Did it make our war a success? Personally, I want our secondary to win us games, not just pulvarize the other guys.

I would feel more offended for the thousands of innocent Iraqis who lost their lives in the "shock and awe" campaign at the outset of the war, but . . .

I don't. It's just not offensive to me. Then again, I might not be a very good barometer of that sort of thing.

Exactly. I don't think very many Americans died in the shock and awe campaign, if any at all. Shock and awe referred to the bombs we dropped before the ground invasion in which those 3200 troops lost their lives.

BTW, I've always found that phrase to be utterly tasteless. As if killing civilians for the sake of intimidation is a tactic used by civilized countries. A little perspective: Iraq suffered the equivalent of at least two 9/11's through our shock an awe campaign.

Exactly. I don't think very many Americans died in the shock and awe campaign, if any at all. Shock and awe referred to the bombs we dropped before the ground invasion in which those 3200 troops lost their lives.

BTW, I've always found that phrase to be utterly tasteless. As if killing civilians for the sake of intimidation is a tactic used by civilized countries. A little perspective: Iraq suffered the equivalent of at least two 9/11's through our shock an awe campaign.

There is no doubt that Iraqi civilians were killed in the initial bombing, but the U.S. took pains to aim for military and strategic targets. To characterize that initial assault as "killing civilians for the sake of intimidation" is wrong.

There is no doubt that Iraqi civilians were killed in the initial bombing, but the U.S. took pains to aim for military and strategic targets. To characterize that initial assault as "killing civilians for the sake of intimidation" is wrong.

Well that's nice that we had "good" intentions but the fact remains, we killed innocent civilians in an attempt to intimidate. You definitely have a point but intentions don't amount to squat when people are dying.

Well that's nice that we had "good" intentions but the fact remains, we killed innocent civilians in an attempt to intimidate. You definitely have a point but intentions don't amount to squat when people are dying.

The U.S. military could have leveled Baghdad and killed tens of thousands. But they didn't. They targeted the strikes at strategic and military locations. War is an ugly thing. But that air assault on Baghdad could have been a hell of a lot worse on civilians had the military bombed all out. Think Tokyo or Hamburg and Dresden in WW II.

The U.S. military could have leveled Baghdad and killed tens of thousands. But they didn't. They targeted the strikes at strategic and military locations. War is an ugly thing. But that air assault on Baghdad could have been a hell of a lot worse on civilians had the military bombed all out. Think Tokyo or Hamburg and Dresden in WW II.

Well hell, we could nuke the entire middle east. I just think the name "shock and awe" is utterly tasteless. Why not call it "tactical bombing 147.2" or even something like "Desert Fox." IMO the phrase "shock and awe" sends the wrong message. Gives the impression we were after more than just tactical targets, but rather dropping bombs to intimidate. War is indeed an ugly thing, but the fact that this war was unnecessary eliminates any excuse as to how we killed innocent people. WWII does not compare, Iraq did not attack us. The military was just following orders, it's the orders I have a problem with.

Archived