Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Something's Fishy - Anyone Agree?

ThePreciating

I don't know. Something doesn't feel right. I have a feeling that we're not done yet. Usually trades die right after the draft, but something just tells me we've got something up our sleeves.

Our secondary looks a little too good right now - is Springs really going to be here next year? I mean Macklin as our dime back? That's fantastic - he'd play nickel for a lot of teams.

What about Prioleau and Doughty? One of them is definitely getting cut, right?

Maybe it won't be Calvin Johnson, but I see us picking up a receiver. We kept so many draft picks, we didn't address our receiving corps, and we didn't address D-line. Snyder has an itchy trigger finger and a lot of ammunition (next year's draft picks). Anyone else think there is definitely SOMETHING up?

I've thought for some time now that the percieved desparate need at defensive line eminated solely from outside the building and not from within. I think Blache and GW are very comfortable with the DL we have. Will we see some minor tweaking? Absolutely. I think the big moves are over, though.

Something might be up, you never know.

I certainly am not sold that Springs will remain on the team. He might stay... he might be traded or he could even be cut for Salary Cap reasons.

Totally unpredictable.

I don't think Springs is going anywhere, personally. We've been struggling through coverage issues, even in 05, ever since Smoot left. GW's relies heavily on back seven, especially with the blitz schemes he likes to run. I'll bet he's just itching to get back to calling his defense freely, without constraining his playcalling to fit the obvious limitations of a lacking secondary. I can't see us getting rid of Springs now.

I am all about drafting Douglas Dutch next year when it comes to a wideout, I think he is illegible. He was one my team at a UVA football camp and was INSANE.

6-0 200lbs with a 4.4 40 :)

He plays for Michigan

Don't know, but I'm sure we'll make some moves. We always do. I'd say we're pretty set at the moment but could afford a couple of slots to be filled for sure. I'm not going to say what I think we need b/c it doensn't matter anyway. Overall, I'd say we're fairly deep at most positions as of now. Who knows if that will stay the case come August. I hope Springs stays for the record. :2cents:

HTTR

I'm still in the "keep Springs" camp because he's so good when he plays he makes us better. But, you're not wrong to recognize we have some depth here and Springs is a guy who could be sent away to improve you in another area while not killing you in the area he leaves. At least he wouldn't kill you so long as you don't have another injury I guess :).

Look at what the Jets did Saturday. They moved up to get a CB. If you listened to Mike and Mike this morning, the Jets GM said they did that because so many teams today use multiple WR offenses. I think the Redskins are on top of this curve. You need more than two guys who can cover these days.

Traditional wisdom is to build inside out, but maybe that needs to change. Maybe the key now is to build outside in. If you have four WRs in formation and a great pass rush but one weak cover guy, the QB will still be able to throw the ball before the rush gets him.

But, if you match up on all four, you have a chance to allow the line to get some push. Now I know you cannot cover all day long, so the Dline obviously has to get pressure regardless. But I think the philosophy is changing.

I'm not saying I'm buying into this philosophy yet, but it appears as if the Redskins and some other teams are. We'll see how it plays out.

For that reason, I don't see us moving any of our secondary.

Hail,

H

I am all about drafting Douglas Dutch next year when it comes to a wideout, I think he is illegible. He was one my team at a UVA football camp and was INSANE.

He plays for Michigan

i played with doug in high school, and i dont see him making it to the nfl. great athlete, but he hasn't even really done a thing at michigan and he's kinda soft. i couldnt cover him but Im not champ bailey

He plays for Michigan

No dude, if we draft a WR Next year it should be this guy:

Marcus Monk WR Arkansas Height: 6-6 Weight: 217 lbs.

I don't know. Something doesn't feel right. I have a feeling that we're not done yet. Usually trades die right after the draft, but something just tells me we've got something up our sleeves.

Our secondary looks a little too good right now - is Springs really going to be here next year? I mean Macklin as our dime back? That's fantastic - he'd play nickel for a lot of teams.

What about Prioleau and Doughty? One of them is definitely getting cut, right?

Maybe it won't be Calvin Johnson, but I see us picking up a receiver. We kept so many draft picks, we didn't address our receiving corps, and we didn't address D-line. Snyder has an itchy trigger finger and a lot of ammunition (next year's draft picks). Anyone else think there is definitely SOMETHING up?

I think the Redskins learned their lesson from last year. They struggle if they can't cover guys and send fancy blitz packages. This offseason they picked up quality depth at corner and safety. They got a run stuffing MLB and have more depth at linebacker because of it.

They know the offense will be good with Betts and Portis. There's even some depth at receiver.

The only question is the defensive line.

I dont think Springs is going anywhere now....pre-draft YES but not now. He's on the wrong side of 30, always banged up and I dont know who is itching to take him off our hands.

I totally thought we'd trade a 2nd or 3rd rounder in NEXT years draft to move into the 2nd or 3rd round this year. I was wrong....so i think we are done in terms of trades. Probably snag a FA here or there like most teams do to fill some depth over the next couple of months but nothing major.

I'm still in the "keep Springs" camp because he's so good when he plays he makes us better. But, you're not wrong to recognize we have some depth here and Springs is a guy who could be sent away to improve you in another area while not killing you in the area he leaves. At least he wouldn't kill you so long as you don't have another injury I guess :).

The problem is, the moment we get rid of Springs, CB is a serious weakness once again. God forbid we get rid of him and Smoot or Rogers goes down. The fact still remains, when healthy, Springs is unquestionably our best cornerback. Losing him would leave us without a real number one corner and that immediately takes away the versatility we regained by re-signing Smoot this offseason. For GW's system to truly flurish, he needs to be confident that he can leave his corner's on island from time to time. That's a much dicier proposition without a healthy Springs. To me, Springs and Griffin are two of the most important players on our defense. Without the healthy play of those two, we're not the same defense, and that may be even more true of Griffin than Springs.

Archived