Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pete Prisco's Draft Grades: Redskins

skinsfan07

I'm thinking we'll see that we already have that in Carter...

Carter is about the only guy up front that has the ability to generate a consistant pass rush. Hopefully he will continue to play the way he did for the 2nd half of the season. My concern is the other side of the line with Daniels. He's old, injury prone and not a consistant pass rush threat.

Carter is about the only guy up front that has the ability to generate a consistant pass rush. Hopefully he will continue to play the way he did for the 2nd half of the season. My concern is the other side of the line with Daniels. He's old, injury prone and not a consistant pass rush threat.

That's my concern, too...but I'm hoping that Carter's improved play coupled with better, more effective blitzing due to some pretty big upgrades in the LB and secondary units will result in far more sacks this season. Daniels and Wynn will need to be replaced (or at least spelled effectively) next season, though.

Not that I care what these guys say, but if you are going to grade the draft, it ought to be on how you fared with what you had. Not the fact that you didn't have as many picks as someone else. You could have 4-5 picks and do better for your team than someone with 10.

Exactly... :applause:

Besides, if he's going to give our draft a lower grade based on the absence of picks, he should have given that lower grade to last year's offseason moves, not this year's draft. We didn't trade those draft picks away this year, so their absence shouldn't be counted against this year's grade.

how could you argue for a higher grade?

Easy.

Landry was rated by most scouts as the best defensive player in the draft

Blades was a very productive MLB and was rated as a 3rd round pick and we got him in the 6th.

Palmer was rated as a 4th round pick and we got him in the 6th.

If you ask me that is equivilent to us trading up in the from the 6th to the 3rd and the 6th to the 4th for free.

Easy.

Landry was rated by most scouts as the best defensive player in the draft

Blades was a very productive MLB and was rated as a 3rd round pick and we got him in the 6th.

Palmer was rated as a 4th round pick and we got him in the 6th.

If you ask me that is equivilent to us trading up in the from the 6th to the 3rd and the 6th to the 4th for free.

The only pick I disagree with is the Palmer pick...I really don't get that one. If for no other reason then the unfounded "Skins Don't believe in Campbell" rumors could start to circulate again.

Otherwise, while I would have rather had Okoye, I think the prospect of Golston and Griff starting with Landry and Taylor in the backfield is better than Griff and Okoye with Taylore and Prielou/Fox/Stoutmire

And really, Prisco is a moron - he's shown it time and time again completely regardless of this grade. He has said one thing I agree with: Wilson is better than Williams.

I don't see the problem. It isn't even like you can point to most of the picks they didn't have and say well they lost this pick for this person, and that has really turned into a good move because that person is being very productive. I mean even if you include the Duckett trade you'd have to conclude this was a bad draft simply based on the number of players that the team added, which is what he said.

I don't see the problem. It isn't even like you can point to most of the picks they didn't have and say well they lost this pick for this person, and that has really turned into a good move because that person is being very productive. I mean even if you include the Duckett trade you'd have to conclude this was a bad draft simply based on the number of players that the team added, which is what he said.

It's not the quantity of players you add, it's the quality of players relative to where you picked them, as well as relative to your team's needs.

The only pick I disagree with is the Palmer pick...I really don't get that one. If for no other reason then the unfounded "Skins Don't believe in Campbell" rumors could start to circulate again.

Otherwise, while I would have rather had Okoye, I think the prospect of Golston and Griff starting with Landry and Taylor in the backfield is better than Griff and Okoye with Taylore and Prielou/Fox/Stoutmire

And really, Prisco is a moron - he's shown it time and time again completely regardless of this grade. He has said one thing I agree with: Wilson is better than Williams.

Are you serious? Cos we drafted a QB at the end of the 6th round??? We have two backups that everyone hopes never have to step on the field in Brunell and Collins. There is a great chance that both are gone after this season. After their exit who backs up Campbell?

Okay lets assume we still had two of those day two picks... one would get spent on a Wideout most likely, the other who knows, maybe a RB?

If we hadn't wasted our 3rd rounder on Duckett, we could have drafted Charles Johnson, DE from Georgia. And something like that definitely effects the way people perceive our draft.

No draft grade should be prefaced with, "this team didn't have enough picks", it should be judged for what it is.

I'm still waiting for someone, anyone, to tell me what D-Line player we should have drafted at 6, assuming we were unable to trade down.

He grades Miami, Denver, and Philly higher while across the whole of draft analysis people are questioning their picks and their moves more than the Skins. The biggest Redskins haters are complaining more about those teams and their moves than what the Skins did. Based on this fact, I would say he's not being very impartial. The fact is, his grade is based solely on the fact that we didnt have very many picks.

I basically think Prisco is sore because teams didn't pick according to his Mock Draft... The guy gives poor ratings to teams that differ with his pre-draft opinion and just re-hashes the information in his mock.

What he fails to see about the Redskins is that safety was also a need and the Redskins filled that need with the best defensive player in the draft. He also comments that Taylor and Landry are both the same type of safety... What? You mean they can both play FS or SS? They both can cover TEs, RBs, and WRs (if necessary)? Does Prisco realize how dumb he sounds saying that Landry and Taylor are the same type of safety?

I think they had our grade written out before the draft started then just substituted the players...

If we had traded up to draft Johnson - Grade D, the redskins once again proved that the front office isn't paying attention to the draft needs.

If we had traded down and got player X - Washington tried to make up their horrible draft woes by trying to recoup some lost picks, the Redskins still did not get an impact player and they should have drafted player Y

If we picked up Jamal Anderson - The Redskins should have traded down to get him later in the draft.

Basically it's a no win situation for our FO

No draft grade should be prefaced with, "this team didn't have enough picks", it should be judged for what it is.

IMO, it should be judged based on what you did with the picks. If they were traded away for a veteran player, then that should be taken into consideration. Either way it's damning for the Redskins.

You can't give the Skins a good grade on this draft, just because of the # of picks we had. If I went to a final exam and filled out half the test, but got all the questions I answered right, I still wouldn't get a good grade.

Therefore, I give the Skins a C grade. We addressed areas of concern, but not the most pressing needs. I think Landry is the best defensive player in this draft and hence, we got the BPA at #6. We couldn't have made the trade down, evidenced by the fact that Brady Quinn went #22. We need a QB to back-up Campbell because Collins and Brunell will both be gone after next year. LB might not be as much of a concern as you think, but in 3 years, Washington, Fletcher, and Marshall will probably all be gone. We are now setting ourselves up to have replacements in McIntosh and Blades, possibly Sartz, but more than likely we will need to add another piece to the puzzle to complete the LB corps. Those are the positives.

Negatives-

Didn't address D-line, maybe we can still go out and sign some undrafted rookies. Walter Thomas wasn't selected. Also, Ecker doesn't make a whole lot of sense, at least in the big picture. Why did we let Kozlowski go and then sign Yoder to an extension and get Ecker? Will Ecker even make the team? We didn't get any O-line help either. There are still a lot of question marks, although we did solidify a couple things.

Look at our draft 3 years down the line. Who will be here? Let's pretend all of our draft picks have some sort of impact and are still around.

DE: Carter

DT: Golston, Montgomery

LB: McIntosh, Blades, Sartz

CB: Rogers, Smoot?

S: Taylor, Landry, Prioleau?

OL: Thomas, Jansen?, Samuels?

TE: Cooley

RB: Portis, Betts

WR: Moss, Randle El, Lloyd?(prob not)

QB: Campbell, Palmer

at least we still have all of our 2008 draft picks.....for now

You can't give the Skins a good grade on this draft, just because of the # of picks we had. If I went to a final exam and filled out half the test, but got all the questions I answered right, I still wouldn't get a good grade.

Huh?...I must have missed the part this weekend where the Skins failed to use draft picks. That would be the equivalent of only filling out half the test...you have the option of doing so, but choose not to. The Skins didn't have the option this draft of picking in rounds 2-4 because of decisions made in the past. Apples and oranges.

Therefore, I give the Skins a C grade. We addressed areas of concern, but not the most pressing needs.

After seeing a secondary consisting of Rogers, Wright, Rumph, Jimoh, Vernon Fox and the ancient Troy Vincent...after seeing Springs miss most of the season with yet another injury...can you honestly say that secondary was NOT a "pressing need"?

After seeing a LB corp of Marshall, HOLDMAN, and a rookie...after Washington played with an injury, ended up missing some games and has had hip surgery...and after seeing that our possible starting LB corp might ALL be over 30 years old, with pretty much only a 2nd year LB as depth...can you honestly say that the LB unit was NOT a "pressing need"?

After seeing Brunell struggle to make throws down the field...after seeing why Collins has only thrown about 3 passes over the last 7 years...and after realizing that both backup QBs will be over 35 years old in the upcoming season...can you honestly say that a young QB prospect was NOT a "pressing need"?

After seeing a secondary consisting of Rogers, Wright, Rumph, Jimoh, Vernon Fox and the ancient Troy Vincent...after seeing Springs miss most of the season with yet another injury...can you honestly say that secondary was NOT a "pressing need"?

After seeing a LB corp of Marshall, HOLDMAN, and a rookie...after Washington played with an injury, ended up missing some games and has had hip surgery...and after seeing that our possible starting LB corp might ALL be over 30 years old, with pretty much only a 2nd year LB as depth...can you honestly say that the LB unit was NOT a "pressing need"?

After seeing Brunell struggle to make throws down the field...after seeing why Collins has only thrown about 3 passes over the last 7 years...and after realizing that both backup QBs will be over 35 years old in the upcoming season...can you honestly say that a young QB prospect was NOT a "pressing need"?

Never said that. I said the MOST pressing need. All of the areas of concern are pressing needs. Let's look at the off season as a whole and see what is MOST pressing.

Secondary: Needed help. Dumped Archuleta. Signed Smoot, Stoutmire, got Prioleau back from injury.

LB: Signed Fletcher. He allows Marshall to back-up all three positions and possibly start at the weak side. McIntosh will continue to improve.

QB: We have a starting QB in Campbell. Can you make drafting a back-up quarterback your priority when you have so many other holes to fill?

D-line: We did absolutley nothing. THAT is the MOST pressing need.

Archived