Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage: 2007 Pre-Draft Media Briefing (write-up posted)

JimmiJo

With his comments aout Golston and Montgomery you would think he is satisfied with the Dline. If that is the case and the emphasis on LONG-TERM guy and that they are even gonna draft into place that there is already depth makes me think that Calvin Johnson or LaRon Landry depending on what happens with the top pick.

Yeah unfortunately I was feeling the same thing, but I also thought perhaps Okoye, or maybe Michael Bush in that vein too

oh my god, im watching this for the first time. cerrato looks like a complete and utter idiot. how is this guy still working for the redskins???? he looks like a dumb robot.

and snyder looks like one coooold dude. i know thats awesome in the business world and hes one of the most successful humans on the planet, but damn i cant imagine having that for a boss.

but my god, vinny. not only do you look like you had a lobotomy, you talk like a complete incompetant boob.

Hi, I'm an extremeskins poster looking for attention.

Vinny Cerrato looks ugly.

Goodbye.

:rolleyes:

Alright, now onto actual meaningful discussion. I got the sense that they would love to get someone on the Dline, at Safety, or even WR/QB if someone falls to that spot and is the BPA. Seeing that Gibbs kept mentioning the places they're deep at right now (Oline, CB, and LB), and that Vinny said with the 6th pick we will probably pick someone deserving of that kind of money (BPA), we'll probably be picking Landry. Of course, I know nothing in the end.

All I want is to watch the Redskins play again.

I'm pretty easy to please. :D

my thoughts

Gibb wants every team behind us to think we may take their player if someone drops, to deal with us instead of a team behind us, and hope several teams will want to move up to get a bidding war

the rest, Gibbs speak ;)

I'm afraid many young fans don't know who Montana was :paranoid:

my thoughts

Gibb wants every team behind us to think we may take their player if someone drops, to deal with us instead of a team behind us, and hope several teams will want to move up to get a bidding war

the rest, Gibbs speak ;)

I'm afraid many young fans don't know who Montana was :paranoid:

I agree that what we heard today was smoke-screen.

And BTW - Damn we're getting old Bubba!

Hilarious. The one mistake Snyder thinks they made was not drafting Moss. Which happened when Snyder was in the dark because Marty had fired Vinny. Off the top of my head, I can think about ten bigger mistakes the Skins have made but they were under Danny/Vinny. So, you know, no way Danny was going to point those out.

Speaking of the Dan, it's nice to know he's stopped trying to hide just how involved he is in the football decisions. I give him points for honesty if nothing else.

Why did Dan Snyder say he didn't, at any point, consider hiring a GM?

I was pretty sure Joe Gibbs said he was going to explore that option this offseason. I know nothing came of it... but now it looks like it was just a big lie.

He told Spurrier that he was going a "real GM" as well, then welched on him and hired Vinny out of the unemployment line. The ball coach didn't know much, but he did know Vinny wasn't a real GM.

I was pretty sure Joe Gibbs said he was going to explore that option this offseason. I know nothing came of it... but now it looks like it was just a big lie.

I'm pretty sure he didn't. Gibbs didn't rule it out (considering that there were enough of the press asking that question, it wass kinda hard to avoid that), but I never did think it was going to be a serious consideration. Gibbs was brought in here to rebuild this team, and getting a GM flies in the face of that.

Now, what they should have asked was a less specific question, like if they considered making changes in the front office (i.e. firing Vinny). While Gibbs is here, I expect that he will head football operations, but a shakeup of the personnel department is always a possibililty. Obviously, they have decided to stay the course for the time being.

Jason

just found this

Gibbs doubts any draftee could start

Print this | E-mail this | Comments on this article: 3

Posted: April 24, 2007

Associated Press

ASHBURN, Va. -- It takes a lot of audacity for a coach of a 5-11 team to say what Joe Gibbs said Tuesday.

The Hall of Fame coach claimed the Washington Redskins are so stacked that it would be hard for any player selected in this weekend's NFL draft to contend immediately for a starting job.

"You'd love to have a guy who can make an immediate impact," Gibbs said. "But to be quite truthful, you look at our football team, where could a player step in here right now and say: 'I'm taking over'? Where is that? That makes us feel good. I don't feel panicked that we have to take any one thing. It's hard to say that somebody would just step into any position right now."

So Calvin Johnson or LaRon Landry -- they'd be riding the pine if they came to Washington? What about a player the Redskins could really use, a defensive lineman such as Jamaal Anderson, Gaines Adams, Amobi Okoye or Alan Branch? Didn't this team make only two modest additions, London Fletcher and Fred Smoot, during the recent free agency period in an attempt to improve the worst defense in the NFC?

Still, Gibbs maintained the Redskins, should they hang on to the No. 6 overall pick, will aim for a player, regardless of position, who has the long-term chance to make Pro Bowls "even though it may be crowded where he initially comes in."

With that kind of philosophy, there's no telling what the Redskins will do.

But that's their M.O. The Redskins of Gibbs and owner Dan Snyder are aggressive and unpredictable. Their usual credo: overspend for the big package and live with the consequences. Snyder has become so redundant that no one asked him a question at last year's predraft press briefing, even though it's one of the rare times he appears in a news conference setting. This year, he was asked if he has considered making himself even more irrelevant -- by hiring a general manager.

"No," Snyder said. "I think that everyone was disappointed. It was a rough season on us. A lot of things took place that we think we're making a lot of progress to put us in the right direction, but they didn't stem from our structure or one particular thing. It just ended up being a tough season."

So the same front office structure is in place that led last year to Gibbs' worst season in 15 years as a head coach and left the Redskins this year without picks in the second, third and fourth rounds -- the result of overzealous trades that landed undistinguished 2006 performers Rocky McIntosh, Brandon Lloyd and T.J. Duckett. After such a year, there was a groundswell of calls for Washington to fill its GM vacuum and hire a strong personality who could say no to Snyder and Gibbs. But the coach quickly quashed the notion less than 48 hours after the season was over.

The Redskins could use an impact defensive lineman and are thin at several positions. Their approach should seem straightforward, trading down to get more picks -- but not so far down that they miss out on a stud defensive lineman. If they can't trade down, take one of the top linemen available: Anderson (Arkansas), Adams (Clemson), Okoye (Louisville) or Branch (Michigan).

But life is never that simple with Snyder, Gibbs and the Redskins. At one point they were talking to the Chicago Bears about trading draft picks to acquire unhappy linebacker Lance Briggs. Denver cornerback Dre' Bly's name emerged in trade talks. There's even some scuttlebutt the Redskins might make another of their signature moves and vault into the top two so they can take receiver Johnson (Georgia Tech) at the expense of more future picks.

Snyder, Gibbs and vice president for football operations Vinny Cerrato did nothing to quash such speculation. Snyder gave a glowing review of Johnson, and Gibbs said: "We've talked about moving up, we've talked about moving back, and we've talked about staying right where we are."

When asked if he was comfortable with his defensive line, Gibbs cited 2006 low-round draft picks Anthony Montgomery and Cedric Golston. Both showed some potential last year as rookies, but it's hard to imagine either holding a spot ahead of a blue-chipper like Okoye.

The Redskins' braintrust was clear about one thing Tuesday: The team will continue to be aggressive when going after players, whatever the outcome.

"The philosophy's always been the same," Cerrato said. "Identify what you want, and then go get it."

Man are the sharks ever circling.

I gotta admit ... 98% of the joy I'm going to take in the team's successes in the coming seasons is still going to be for the pure love of Redskins football that brought me to the internet in the first place, but the other 2% is going to include watching those that just can't help themselves from piling on and joining the Torch and Pitchfork Chorus try to live down some of the things they've said this offseason.

I gotta admit ... 98% of the joy I'm going to take in the team's successes in the coming seasons is still going to be for the pure love of Redskins football that brought me to the internet in the first place, but the other 2% is going to include watching those that just can't help themselves from piling on and joining the Torch and Pitchfork Chorus try to live down some of the things they've said this offseason.

It is all about perception. I'm sure the mood at the pre-draft press conference was much more upbeat, even if similar information was passed onto the media. Coming off of a 5-11 season, people want blood. When they don't get it, they think it is all the same story, that the same mistakes will be made. Course, that could happen, or that there were lessions learned and the team knows better for next time. Certainly, they haven't repeated any mistake that they made last year.

Jason

Exactly, some people just have an ax to grind. I am very happy after what I heard today. Its sounds like they know what they want to do. I believe that what JG said was accurate as far as the current players signed on the roster and we replaced many of the ones that weren't holding their weight. Our 5-11 season had alot to do with injuries, new offense, and aging, underperforming QB (Brunell) and players that are no longer here (Holdman, Kenny Wright, & Mike Rumph). We have totally changed up our LB group in bringing in a tackling machine in Fletcher and will probably start Rocky (last year's 2nd round pick) and Mr. Washington will continue to do his thing. Currently we have Springs (still a No. 1 corner), Rogers (still learning), Smoot (could be a No. 1 but is still an above average No. 2 and will challenge Rogers) & Macklin (quality nickel and has comparable numbers to even Asante Samuel) playing corner for us and I think that is a vast improvement from what we had last year in (Springs (groin, shoulder blade), Rogers, Wright (awful), Rumph (invisible) & Jimoh (special teamer)). AA (limited) and Vincent (old) are gone and we get back PP (was suppose to start in '06) from injury and brought back an old friend in Stoutmire (quality backup). Why don't some see all this as huge changes on our D for next year? I know people want to see lots and lots of sacks from the DL but thats not how we did it in '04 either. We had better LB play and better CB play. This year GW will be able to bring his safety, linebacker& corner blitzes knowing that the pass will be better covered this year. If we draft Landry then we have a future Pro Bowler (and just be cause he hits like ST, doesn't means dumb and will be a clone of ST like is now being suggested to undermine Landry's usefulness). If trade down we should grab Branch (has a good motor and was asked to play 80-85% of the plays for Michigan D is more that most DTs are asked to do; no stress fractures) then we have an big body to rotate with the improving Golston (last year's 6th round pick) and Montgomery (last year's 5th round pick) and our vets in Griff and Salave'a. If we trade even farther down, we could get BOWE to challenge for the No. 2 if Lloyd's doesn't produce or gets hurt. Either way, I think JG let it be known that our D is fine and is NOT the same as last year, you just have to look hard at the offseason acquisitions.

HAHA thats so true 007... Man that show has become political in the last few years...

I have to go in and do meetings sometimes where the point is to keep trade secrets well secret and I got to tell you they were doing one heck of a job with that today.

I would imagine they'd live it down similarly to how the eternal optimists (Joe Gibbs can do no wrong) deal with 6-10 and 5-11 seasons.

Bets player in the league is not the core ingredient that brings championships and is not the answer, right now all I know is that Indy had the best team and we're far from teams that didn't even make the playoffs. Berst player available is a generic statement. Honestly, Cerrato's competence is border line. Bets player available is a generic statement and it probably should be to keep everybody guessing, if its still a guess.

As usual we're going with a skill position. I honestly don't think we bring any philosophy to coaching or persnnel management its just a bunch of folks getting paid. Unless something happens during training camp, we'll be average at best our F/O is not on point. Look at the Ravens as a small example. We better be careful because Miami was only 5 points shy of beating the Colts last year and they got next. Right now our Redskins are like a cracker jack box, I mean you really don't knbow what you're gonna get until the season opens, but I bet you Philly does and Chicago to name a few oh there stacked.

Branch or Okoye won't be around in the second round. Our current DL won't get us there unless Joe Sykes or Golston can occupy multiple blocks and clog the middle or Fletcher will be caught in the wash. I think people say things just to say them during interviews. So if we're set at the skill positions, and I think we are at least on offense, trhen why can't we find the crease in the opposing defense? Why can't we put our peolple in the right postion through solid play calling? That statement about having quality people at the skill position is just generic and why can't a #1 pick start. Oh so we're going to the SB with our current team? Oh it's his wife and I know his dad and he has great kids. I kind of see why Billick walks around with a hoodie. Our Redskins right now are like a box of Cracker Jacks, you just don't know what you're going to get?

And if the team stinks....?

I actually think the team is going to be better next year, at least at first. If Griffin is healthy and Fletcher plays like Fletcher, the defense can't help but be dramatically improved. My concerns are still depth and youth. I could easily see the team start out, like, 5-3 and finish 8-8. It's kind of what I expect actually.

2007 Pre-Draft Media Briefing

04/24/07

:helmet:

Gibbs stated that it is probable that whomever they draft at 6 will not start this year, but rather have a “role.” He then stated that it would be hard to draft a guy and plug him in at any position on the team – the assertion being that the team has very talented players at most every position. I admit I experienced a bit of a twilight zone moment to hear the coach of a 5-11 team speak to having the level of talent such that you can not accommodate a top-ten draft selection immediately.

Notes

We learned what a true Redskin is today. It takes three things in the following order:

1. Character

2. Football Intellect

3. Talent

:helmet:

is it possible that no one is trying to fool us, that maybe they have already fooled themselves. complete overestimation of talent is the eisiest way to salarycap problems and staying at the top of the draft.(who are next years top 2 or 3 prospects?)

cant find a starter at pick 6 ?????????

maybe the times have past gibbs by. i think he compares todays players to the 80's. they all seem like freakish athletes to gibbs. when he gets back into nascar even they will get tired of explaining that he cant use his old cars. real sports evolve even quicker than numbered car driving.

todd collins must have a hell of alot of character

Archived