Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage: 2007 Pre-Draft Media Briefing (write-up posted)

JimmiJo

2007 Pre-Draft Media Briefing

04/24/07

:helmet:

Hey everybody!

I am in the house for the briefing. I will be monitoring so if any questions come up that strike me I will consider asking it so fire away.

Stand by...

“If we’re picking at 6th, well be looking for the best player available.” – Vinny Cerrato

With these words Vinny Cerrato made clear the Redskins’ philosophy on drafting – you take the best player available and not look to fill a position of need.

I appreciated this as I think I have seen about three thousand threads argue this point.

Well class, what did you think? I am not sure I know any more than before the presser started, and I may know a bit less. In trying to digest the comments, I get the sense that a D-lineman is not automatically a lock. Coming out I can believe them going after almost anybody that’s not a running back or quarterback.

Gibbs started the briefing with an explanation of why they hold this press brief and dropped the nugget that the league is considering mandating this for all teams. He then presented an overview of the process they use for picking players. This is pretty standard fare but I think this year we got a bit more detail.

The questions then started and while I don’t think we learned what the team will do, we learned what they might do. “We could go up, we could go back, or we could stay put,” Gibbs said. Both Gibbs and Vinny Cerrato said that they most expect to pick at the number 6th spot they currently hold.

When asked about potential moves up or down, Vinny Cerrato said that much of it will depend on what the teams picking ahead do. “It all depends on what happens in the top 5,” he said.

Gibbs stated that it is probable that whomever they draft at 6 will not start this year, but rather have a “role.” He then stated that it would be hard to draft a guy and plug him in at any position on the team – the assertion being that the team has very talented players at most every position. I admit I experienced a bit of a twilight zone moment to hear the coach of a 5-11 team speak to having the level of talent such that you can not accommodate a top-ten draft selection immediately.

Joe White from the AP followed up by asking the coach his assessment of the defensive line. Gibbs mentioned Anthony Montgomery and Kedric Goldston as good young talent that are developing quite well on the line.

A few reporters pointed out the multi-round gap where the Redskins lack draft picks (2-4) and asked if the team is looking to do something to acquire more. Gibbs said that he would love to have more picks, but he also said that he would love to have a whole draft to work with next year.

Snyder was asked quite a few questions this year after having been asked exactly none last year. I see that some are reading into his praise for Brandon Lloyd. I’m not sure what to make of that other than a possible reaffirmation of getting him in the first place. He praised Rocky McIntosh and said that he expects a big year from him.

Notes

We learned what a true Redskin is today. It takes three things in the following order:

1. Character

2. Football Intellect

3. Talent

“No.” – Dan Snyder when asked if he at anytime this off-season considered hiring a general manager.

“I wish we had drafted Santana Moss.” Dan Snyder if there were any 1st round picks he wishes had gone differently.

The team can add up to 13 undrafted free agents this year.

According to Vinny Cerrato, statistically the best value in a draft comes in the 2nd round.

According to Vinny (redux), linemen tend to go early and then late in the draft, meaning that good linemen can be found in the later rounds.

Gibbs mentioned that Joe Montana was a 3rd-round pick and is one of the greatest of all time. As he said this a part of me wondered if the younger fans know who Joe Montana is…

I am going to wrap up here and read all of your comments. We still do not know what they may do, but in a few short days we'll know what they will do.

I'll sure try :)

It's all in the timing.

When he's spent a half hour artfully dodging and obfuscating their real intent even more than he has to date (the man is good), and he finally asks that final "any more questions?" ... wait a beat or two, and then just as he turns to leave, clear your throat theatrically and say, "No seriously, Coach. Who are you going to draft?"

It'll bust up the room. :)

2007 Pre-Draft Media Briefing

04/24/07

Hey everybody!

I am in the house for the briefing. I will be monitoring so if any questions come up that strike me I will consider asking it so fire away.

Stand by...

Yeah, hold Gibbs' feet to the fire and ask him if the team plans on trading away next years' draft picks.

Please ask him if there's any truth to the discussions about the team shaking up their scouting/personnel department following the draft.

On this same subject, you may want to ask if they're sorry they let Eric DeCosta get away to the Ravens (used to be an intern with Washington)....:)

Danny "We're proud of Brandon Lloyd" and said he's in amazing shape from his workouts. I hope that's true, and I expect we'll see a much improve doverall game from Lloyd in 2007... as much of his 2006 woes were well beyond his ability to control. I hope Dan's remark was a subconscious acknowledgement that we are pleased with our WR situation, and will be focussing on defense.

Danny "We're proud of Brandon Lloyd" and said he's in amazing shape from his workouts. I hope that's true, and I expect we'll see a much improve doverall game from Lloyd in 2007... as much of his 2006 woes were well beyond his ability to control. I hope Dan's remark was a subconscious acknowledgement that we are pleased with our WR situation, and will be focussing on defense.

His comment about Llyod was oddly out of place considering the context of the question. Not sure if he's trying to justify the signing, downplay the likelyhood of a CJ move, or tip our hand that we'll go defense, but I'm willing to bet he decided before he sat down that he was going to praise BL.

His comment about Llyod was oddly out of place considering the context of the question. Not sure if he's trying to justify the signing, downplay the likelyhood of a CJ move, or tip our hand that we'll go defense, but I'm willing to bet he decided before he sat down that he was going to praise BL.

The more he says he wants CJ, the more we will have to give up. By him praising Brandon Lloyd, my first thoughts are that he's trying to increase Lloyd's value to package him in a trade with Shawn Springs and our 6 overall to pick up CJ. Lloyd is overpaid and has a nearly untradeable contract.....Vin's tryin to make it mildly tradeable.

I agree. I thought it seemed premeditated as well, though I'm not sure what of the above motivations it follows.

The more he says he wants CJ, the more we will have to give up. By him praising Brandon Lloyd, my first thoughts are that he's trying to increase Lloyd's value to package him in a trade with Shawn Springs and our 6 overall to pick up CJ. Lloyd is overpaid and has a nearly untradeable contract.....Vin's tryin to make it mildly tradeable.

That tactic (if it is one) would seemingly be countered by Gibbs repeatedly saying that there's a guy they really covet that they can't get to (which I'm sure is an allusion to CJ).

I agree. I thought it seemed premeditated as well, though I'm not sure what of the above motivations it follows.

Maybe they are trying not to alienate him like the locker room did last year? I know he brought it upon himself, but maybe they are trying to help get some confidence back to Lloyd?

Not everything has to do with the draft.

Or we could just be fluffing Lloyd up for:

a) "more smokescreen" purposes to throw other teams off the scent

B) "making this lemon sound good enough to trade for" purposes

c) building him up in public to help him straighten out his "attitudinal" issues in the event we don't/can't unload him

d) make him sound more palatable to fans because we're likely stuck with him for another year

Archived