Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage: 2007 Pre-Draft Media Briefing (write-up posted)

JimmiJo

Guys - FYI...Llyod is not tradable right now. He executed the second 5 mill bonus payment. Cutting or trading him would cause all of his bonus money to accelerate against the cap. We don't have the room without cutting a bunch of other players and teams don't do that this time of year.

Wow Vin....2nd rounders offer the best bang for your buck?

thanks

Everything he's offered so far has been an empty cliche, that affords no insight, and demonstrates no depth of understanding (not that this press conference is a forum for such responses). However, conversely, Dan and Joe have mostly offered thoughtful, measured, well considered replies.

Anybody else think Coach Gibbs was just alluding to Alan Branch when he mentioned (paraphrase): Bringing a guy in who they didn't expect to like so much, and yet he blew them away with his interview process?

Nah, I doubt it was a refference to Branch.

Guys - FYI...Llyod is not tradable right now. He executed the second 5 mill bonus payment. Cutting or trading him would cause all of his bonus money to accelerate against the cap. We don't have the room without cutting a bunch of other players and teams don't do that this time of year.

Lloyd is going to be here, whether people understand it or not, and my bet is that he's going to be quite productive with Campbell at the helm.

Nah, I doubt it was a refference to Branch.

Joe said it was from a meeting this past week, and they met with Branch this week. And Joe also mentioned the sense of humor angle, and there were a few allusions to Branch's recent humor-laced interviews. I was just speculating, though it's probably 180 degrees wrong... and even if accurate, it's probably meaningless.

Gibbs says he think his roster is so stacked that where do you fit a player in? Well, how about setting an NFL record for lowest sacks? The defensive line absolutely sucks Joe. He doesn't get it.

He's lavishing praise of Golston and Montgomery... ugggh :doh: I hope they are improved, but the thought that they are "the answer" is scary.

Lloyd is going to be here, whether people understand it or not, and my bet is that he's going to be quite productive with Campbell at the helm.

I agree. Even if we take CJ, I think Lloyd will be a Redskin for one more year at least.

Joe said it was from a meeting this past week, and they met with Branch this week. And Joe also mentioned the sense of humor angle, and their were a few allusions to Branch's recent humor-laced interviews. I was just speculating, though it's probably 180 degrees wrong... and even if accurate, it's probably meaningless.

damn, if thats the case were taking branch and im am stoked about it. branch was the one a few months ago they were all joking about cause hes into cartoons and coloring books. and if we met with branch this week, thats DEF who hes refering to.

I agree. Even if we take CJ, I think Lloyd will be a Redskin for one more year at least.

They have no choice with Lloyd - he has a huge contract and no production. He's untradeable - so they have to talk him up. What choice do they have? They just had to fork up $5 mil bonus to a guy that had like 20 catches last year with no TDs. Plus, he's a jerk. I think these three are looking like three stooges up there after the Lloyd and Duckett disaster trades.

damn, if thats the case were taking branch and im am stoked about it. branch was the one a few months ago they were all joking about cause hes into cartoons and coloring books. and if we met with branch this week, thats DEF who hes refering to.

I wish, but I believe they met with at least 6-10 of their 25+ invitees within the past week. Pretty hard to narrow down, and to attribute any meaning to it even if it was Branch who unexpectedly impressed them after falling for a while. Here's hoping though.

That bonus payment was a roster bonus, so it has already hit the cap. Trading him or releasing him, does nothing to the cap, because the 5M is already on the cap.

Only SB are spread through out the contract and then accelerated once the player his cut/traded.

With his comments aout Golston and Montgomery you would think he is satisfied with the Dline. If that is the case and the emphasis on LONG-TERM guy and that they are even gonna draft into place that there is already depth makes me think that Calvin Johnson or LaRon Landry depending on what happens with the top pick.

With his comments aout Golston and Montgomery you would think he is satisfied with the Dline. If that is the case and the emphasis on LONG-TERM guy and that they are even gonna draft into place that there is already depth makes me think that Calvin Johnson or LaRon Landry depending on what happens with the top pick.

Isn't anyone scared that if we draft Landry, that we may not re-sign Taylor when his contract is up?

Anybody else think Coach Gibbs was just alluding to Alan Branch when he mentioned (paraphrase): Bringing a guy in who they didn't expect to like so much, and yet he blew them away with his interview process?

Probably just reminiscing about Adam Archuleta's free agent interview from last year...

Wow Vin....2nd rounders offer the best bang for your buck?

thanks

I wasn't watching this, but did anyone remind Vinny we don't have any 2nd rounders this year? I guess our "bucks" have depreciated.

Oh sir, would you kindly give me a 2nd rounder today for a hamburger on Tuesday? (paraphrasing Whimpy from Popeye cartoon)

Listening to most of the press conference it led me to believe one thing. That one thing is to believe and assume nothing. While my opinion is that I don't think they will move up for CJ, I do believe we will see a draft shuffle and a pick for the best player available. Running back? O-Line? QB? I dunno. That is what makes it all so interesting.

Archived