Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

At what point will you believe in Gibbs again?

robotfire

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Last year around this time, there were no doubters of Joe Gibbs. Five wins later, and it's a completely different story. Personally, I'm willing to write it off as a fluke. Many posters on this board seem to disagree, however.

So the question is this: At what point will you believe again? What if we make it to the playoffs at 10-6 again? What will it take to win you people back?

Personally I don't really think Joe cares because he knows he has many more fans than all of the negative nancies that spend their time on a message board and waiting for the sky to fall. Never have doubted him, not going to start now.

Still do. I think that it was much more a season of circumstance and they were never right after the pre-season injuries to Portis and Springs. Arguably 2 of the main ingredients on each side of the ball, 2 of the worst people to lose other than say Moss or Griffin/Washington. Then we lose another integral piece of the team when PP went down on the opening kickoff.

I think you'll see a much more competitive team this season and, provided they can stay healthy, a team that will compete for the division crown.

Long story short...I never lost faith in Gibbs. Don't know if I ever could though.

I've never lost faith in him as a coach. As a front office guy.... well that's a whole other story.

Hmmm...let's see:

Cooley, Campbell, Taylor, Washington, Rabach, Portis, Moss, Griffin...just to name a few.

I think he may be better than you're giving him credit for.

I have faith in Gibbs as a head coach. That hasn't changed. I wish he would assume more control of the team in terms of play calling and general decision making.

As a personnel guy? I don't know. With our set up, it's hard to say who gets the credit and blame for personnel decisions.

But I still have faith in Gibbs as a coach and HIS offense (as opposed to Saunders).

Hail,

H

Hmmm...let's see:

Cooley, Campbell, Taylor, Washington, Rabach, Portis, Moss, Griffin...just to name a few.

I think he may be better than you're giving him credit for.

And how many wins do these great and talented players have? How many rings?

I love when people use our current players as an indication of what a good job our FO is doing. If they were doing such a good job, we wouldn't be drafting 6th this year.

Judge how they are doing based on wins and losses, the only criteria that matters.

Hail,

H

Kind of a dumb question, I think. JG came back to try and restore some credibility to this team. He has in some ways. I believe we will go deep into the playoffs next year, meaning the championship game. JG has always been a winner and I don't see him leaving this team with some kind of involvement until he takes care of business once again.

Joe Gibbs set the bar for what should be expected of him in his first time around. If he cannot bring this team back to a Super Bowl, I think his inclusion in the Yellow Jacket Club of Canton, Ohio needs to be revisited.

Absolutely. Pull him right out of there. And should they take away all of his previous Super Bowl appearances and victories too, or just some of them?

You can't knock Joe Gibbs for any moves the team made last year. Sure, in hindsight Lloyd and Archuleta didn't perform as they were expected to. Truth is, the 'Skins were close in '05, and some pressing offseason moves were the perceived answer to question marks on the team after the Seattle loss.

Handing the offense over to Saunders was an excellent decision considering Al's clear expertise. Though Joe's scheme has won Superbowls, the '05 offense was so anemic, it was clear drastic measures needed to be taken. What better way is there to boost your offense than to insert one the games most forward thinking minds? In retrospect, this sort of overhaul takes time to bear fruit. Can we fault Gibbs for taking a chance, for being aggressive in this regard?

Had a few key injuries, as redskns56 noted above, never occurred, the '06 season likely would have been more promising. Chances are, Archuleta would have been less exposed with Prioleau in the lineup on nickel packages. A healthy Portis would have ensured a more cohesive offensive flow, likely increasing Brunell's and/or Campbell's chance for developing greater rapport with Randle El and Lloyd.

Gibbs has made some changes this offseason as well. Allowing the players to train on their own in the offseason, is an adjustment which the team hopes will result in less injuries during the season. Perhaps he and Saunders have had time to combine their efforts to develop a more consistent offensive plan. I personally feel this is something fans will realize early in the '07 season as a major improvement.

The bottom line is Gibbs is not going anywhere. Even if his tenure as headcoach ends next season, his influence will ensure this team continues down the path it has been on for the past three seasons. I suspect there will continue to be some episodes which make Redskin nation cringe, however you really can't bemoan a staff that is clearly devoting every effort to make this team win now.

Gibbs is the centerpiece to Redskins again, and he'll be as much as long as his health and family allow him to be. It make take a handful of years, but I believe he will renew the championship aura he was so famous for in the 80's and 90's.

I never stopped believing in Coach Gibbs, I may not have been old enough to appreciate the 3 Super Bowls firsthand, but I have gone back and watched the games of those seasons, other seasons he coached, and the playoff games. I have not lost faith in Gibbs, and I will never lose it.

:logo:

Itll take the playoffs this season.

Think about it, if we dont make the playoffs this season, thats 3 out of 4 years without even making the playoffs. Thats not good. Making the playoffs this year will mean he was able to rebound the team after a disastrous past season. Theres no middle ground this year.

The problem is not whether I trust Gibbs because I do. The problem is that Gibbs is not in a situation that is set up to win. I don't like the idea of no GM. That has hurt us whether Gibbs wants to admit or not. Secondly, Joe Gibbs/Bobby Beathard/Jack Kent Cooke translated into wins, division titles and super bowls. Fast forward to today, and I think it is safe to say that the tandem of Gibbs/no GM/Snyder will translate into losses, ineptness and no super bowls. How do I know?? It's been three gone by in the Gibbs II era...what else is there to say?? Gibbs isn't the problem....Snyder and Cerrato are jokes and if nothing changes, then nothing changes. Welcome to mediocrity guys...we're gonna be here awhile as long as the Danny and his sidekick Vinny are calling the shots.

Absolutely. Pull him right out of there. And should they take away all of his previous Super Bowl appearances and victories too, or just some of them?

I would suggest that ANY player, or coach who returns to the NFL in any capacity after being inducted into the HOF should have to be re-elected to the Hall after they leave the game again. So far as I'm concerned, Joe Gibbs has seriously damaged his reputation and HOF credentials with the last three seasons.

Obviously the Super Bowl appearances and victories IN THE PAST are still part of his history. Unfortunately he's not living up to that level of expectation this time around. A reputation is much easier to tear down than it is to build up, or to repair once it's damaged. I'd suggest that Gibbs' reputation had been seriously damaged in the last three years, and I don't see it being repaired any time soon.

I would suggest that ANY player, or coach who returns to the NFL in any capacity after being inducted into the HOF should have to be re-elected to the Hall after they leave the game again. So far as I'm concerned, Joe Gibbs has seriously damaged his reputation and HOF credentials with the last three seasons.

Obviously the Super Bowl appearances and victories IN THE PAST are still part of his history. Unfortunately he's not living up to that level of expectation this time around. A reputation is much easier to tear down than it is to build up, or to repair once it's damaged. I'd suggest that Gibbs' reputation had been seriously damaged in the last three years, and I don't see it being repaired any time soon.

I concur with your assertion.

Archived