Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis barely in top 20 RB list... HOW?

skinsrbeast

Do people on this page even read anyone elses posts before posting? This is a fantasy football list, CP is low b/c Betts is around to get carries as well, diminishing Portis' fantasy value.

No.....CP is not a top 10 running back any way you cut it. if we gave patrick ramsey as many carries as we gave portis in 2005, he would have had a 1000yard season. I'm not dogging portis, i'm just stating that he really isnt that "special." running back is the one position where you can plug just about anyone in and they can give you 1200yards if your offensive line is good.

houston game?

Portis has been here for 3 years. The difference of opinion with me and most is that you guys put more credence in long runs that don't result in "touchdowns". As far as I can remember this is my list.

1. First game/first play as a Redskins against Tampa. Took it to the house.

2. First season against Packers. Scored touchdown on pass down the middle that was called back due to false start on James Thrash.

3. Season two playoff push. Two amazing scores against the Eagles in week 17.

4. Season two game against the Giants at FedEx.

Three seasons and he has 4 good games. And you guys want to keep praising his potential. Maybe if he didn't end every season on the injured list he would get more recognition. It is possible that Mark Brunell had more to do with Portis's inconsistent play but we have seen other players such as Tomlinson, Westbrook, Chester Taylor, Larry Johnson and so on play well despite their QB's play. Maybe I am wrong but after seeing Portis throw away his first season here with his stupid fumbles and injuries, I just don't get my draws in a bunch over his play.

No.....CP is not a top 10 running back any way you cut it. if we gave patrick ramsey as many carries as we gave portis in 2005, he would have had a 1000yard season. I'm not dogging portis, i'm just stating that he really isnt that "special." running back is the one position where you can plug just about anyone in and they can give you 1200yards if your offensive line is good.

but they are runnings who keep the drives alive, get those tough yards when need it and then they are rbs who get alot of junk yards lrbs who rim on 3rd and longs

but they are runnings who keep the drives alive, get those tough yards when need it and then they are rbs who get alot of junk yards lrbs who rim on 3rd and longs

i agree with you... and i'm just saying that portis hasnt done anything for this team that 20 other running backs in the league couldnt have done as good, or better.

I've been saying this and showing stats, but people always come back with the same worthless stuff like "he is a top 5 back, no questions asked" or "he has it." Or even more sad, they point to the 2 seasons he had in Denver 4-5 years ago to show his worth. Yet clearly by statistics, he is not a top 10 back over the 3 years he has been here.

Basically, our fanbase has way, way over-rated him.

How sad is it that over the last 3 years, his stats are not appreciably better than Ruben Droughns?

Our fans act like he is a superstar and can't ever be traded or replaced, when I suspect other teams do not feel the same way. He hasn't been to a Pro Bowl here, and that isn't a mistake. The guy is replaceable, and we are over-paying for what we are getting out of him. (Why should we pay him what we are paying him when over the last 3 years guys like Thomas Jones, Warrick Dunn, and Willis McGahee have put up equal to or better numbers... and that's not even getting to LT, LJ, Alexander, Tiki, Edge James, etc.)

That's why I would be fine trading him and letting the less expensive Betts get a shot.

I don't disagree with your point, but you missed mine. Everyone is griping and getting all uptight without realizing its a fantasy football list which has little to do with the talent of a player and more with opportunity.

To your other point, you can't definatively say portis is not a top 10 RB. Tomlinson and LJ are better than him, but you cannot name 8 guys that are definately better than Portis, you'd be hard press to name two without a strong argument against. Shaun Alexander perhaps, but he didn't have a great year last year, even before he was hurt. Beyond that its a crapshoot. Bong!

he is definitely better than all of the following which would place him at about #7 This is downright laughable.

6. Willie Parker

8. Rudi Johnson

9. Joseph Addai

10. Ronnie Brown

11. Reggie Bush

12. Deuce McAllister

13. Maurice Jones-Drew

14. Travis Henry

15. Cedric Benson

16. Willis McGahee

17. Laurence Maroney

18. Thomas Jones

19. Edgerrin James

Thats insulting... Says so many of these running backs that have not proven they can carry the load are better than Portis... When the only time Portis gets shut down is when our Passing game fails horribly and other teams stack 9 in the box. When Portis took the team on his shoulders and carried them to the 2nd round of the playoffs just a year ago.

Because he doesn't make very many plays when the wholes are not "perfectly" blocked. How many times have you seen him reverse his field and take it for 60 yards. He never takes a short dump passes and juke a player for 25 extra yards. If he gets large chunks of yardage it is because the whole was big enough to drive a truck through. Now he will beat you to the corner from the 10 yard line. But as far as him making something out of nothing. It ain't happenin'.

I agree. Portis usually runs for like 2 yards on most carries. Every now and then he hits a long run to push up his average. He can outrun a lot of guys around the corner, but between the tackles he ain't making people miss. I like Ladell Betts better, because even though he may not hit the long ball, he still consistently runs 4 yards per carry. Portis needs to get bigger this offseason and Betts needs to learn how to protect the ball better.

To your other point, you can't definatively say portis is not a top 10 RB. Tomlinson and LJ are better than him, but you cannot name 8 guys that are definately better than Portis

Portis has been here in the 2004, 2005 and 2006 season.

To determine how good he has been here, just compare the raw numbers. Don't make excuses about him getting hurt; most RBs get hurt, and being really good is a lot about staying healthy. So lets see where CP falls over the last 3 seasons:

2004-2006 Production

1. T. Baber 5,040 yds; 27 TDs

2. Tomlinson 4,612 yds; 63 TDs

3. S. Alexander 4,472 yds; 50 TDs

4. L. Johnson 4,120 yds; 46 TDs

5. R. Johnson 4,221 yds; 36 TDs

6. E. James 4,213 yds; 28 TDs

7. W. Dunn 3,662 yds; 16 TDs

8. T. Jones 3,493 yds; 22 TDs

9. W. McGahee 3,365 yds; 24 TDs

10. S. Jackson 3,347 yds; 25 TDs

C. Portis 3,354 yds; 23 TDs

11. R. Droughns 3,230 yds; 12 TDs

12. C. Dillon 3,180 yds; 37 TDs

13. F. Taylor 3,157yds; 10 TDs

14. J. Lewis 3,044; 19 TDs

14. W. Parker (2 Seasons only) 2,696 yds; 17 TDs

15. F. Gore (1.5 seasons only) 2,303 yds; 11 TDs

So since we acquired him, he falls right around the 10-12 range (with guys like Rueben Droughns) as far as productive backs in this league. And with guys like Willie Parker and Frank Gore tearing things up the last two years, it won't be long before they pass him even spotting him a season on the 2004-__ list.

And everyone likes to talk about C. Portis 1,516 yard season. Well, in the last 3 years that he has been here, here is where that amazing season falls on the list of best seasons:

1. S. Alexander ('05) 1,880

2. T. Barber ('05) 1,860

3. L. Tomlinson ('06) 1,815

4. L. Johnson ('06) 1,789

5. L. Johnson ('05) 1,750

6. C. Martin ('04) 1,697

7. S. Alexander ('04) 1,696

8. F. Gore ('06) 1,695

9. T. Barber ('06) 1'662

10. C. Dillon 1,635 ('04)

11. E. James ('04) 1,548

12. S. Jackson ('06) 1,528

13. T. Barber ('04) 1,518

14. C. Portis ('05) 1,516

(Incidentally, by my calculations, if you take L. Betts ypc last year (4.7) and give him the number of carries that C. Portis had in '05, by my calculations, L. Betts would have had 1,654 yards...... 138 more yards than C.P.'s record year).

I'm not saying Portis sucks, but our fans need to realize he isn't as great as they hype him to be. Saying "He is a Top 5 back; he just is no questions asked" is burying your head in the sand.

Because he doesn't make very many plays when the wholes are not "perfectly" blocked. How many times have you seen him reverse his field and take it for 60 yards. He never takes a short dump passes and juke a player for 25 extra yards. If he gets large chunks of yardage it is because the whole was big enough to drive a truck through. Now he will beat you to the corner from the 10 yard line. But as far as him making something out of nothing. It ain't happenin'.
Wow, Portis is famous for darting through holes...(it's holes BTW) that you couldn't get a thread through and just look at the bs you are typing about him.

Did you ever see him run in Denver? Did you see his first carry for us? Have you been watching him since his first carry for us? :doh:

Archived