Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis barely in top 20 RB list... HOW?

skinsrbeast

Portis has been here for 3 years. The difference of opinion with me and most is that you guys put more credence in long runs that don't result in "touchdowns". As far as I can remember this is my list.

1. First game/first play as a Redskins against Tampa. Took it to the house.

2. First season against Packers. Scored touchdown on pass down the middle that was called back due to false start on James Thrash.

3. Season two playoff push. Two amazing scores against the Eagles in week 17.

4. Season two game against the Giants at FedEx.

Three seasons and he has 4 good games. And you guys want to keep praising his potential. Maybe if he didn't end every season on the injured list he would get more recognition. It is possible that Mark Brunell had more to do with Portis's inconsistent play but we have seen other players such as Tomlinson, Westbrook, Chester Taylor, Larry Johnson and so on play well despite their QB's play. Maybe I am wrong but after seeing Portis throw away his first season here with his stupid fumbles and injuries, I just don't get my draws in a bunch over his play.

Clinton Portis's 100 yard games

ok 2005=9

2004=5 (not icluding his 94, and 2 80 yard performances)

2006=1 injured for most of season.

Clinton Poertis gets the job done... its not all about big games, but consistency, and portis sure has that

I'm not saying Portis sucks, but our fans need to realize he isn't as great as they hype him to be. Saying "He is a Top 5 back; he just is no questions asked" is burying your head in the sand.

Outside of us Redskins fans feeling this way, plenty of other people see this too, possibly even divisional rivals (if they want to admit it). Takeo Spikes even said it. Not to mention he's a complete back...a perfect blocker for a running back.

For all these misinformed folks trashing portis as not being a guy who is consistently pumping out yardage, here's a little fact to chew on.

Only 2 other runners accumulated more yards in their first four years in the NFL than Clinton Portis. (last year was CP's 5th.)

Jim Brown and Barry Sanders.

If the injuries had not shortened his season so significantly last year, he was on a pace to be able to set his sights on the elite records, IE: Emmitt Smith numbers in terms of a career. Obviously it would take some luck in the injury dept. and a prolonged career, but he was off to the type of start that a runner needs to begin to sniff the rarified air. (He still can, but he's going to need a couple of 1800 yard seasons to get back on the path, and he's going to need a hell of a lot of luck to have his shoulders hold up for the number of seasons it will take to reach the mark, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility.)

For his career he averages a hair under five yards per carry. The all time record among running backs is 5.2 ypc by Jim Brown. Portis is at 4.7 .. that is 18 inches per carry short of the mark. About as long as your forearm and hand. (for modern comparison, that's better than LaDainian Tomlinson's average, and he's being spoken of as perhaps the best ever in some NFL circles. He might actually be the best when all is said and done, but as of now, CP has a better YPC)

In 3 seasons here (1 severely shortened by injury) he has broken 2 all time team rushing records in successive seasons. Most carries, and most yards. That's more than Riggins, more than Davis, more than any runner this team ever had. The fact that the Redskins are one of the NFL's oldest franchises with running backs in the Hall of Fame makes that even more impressive.

It could be easily argued that he's the best pure halfback this team has ever had.

Still think he's just a guy who "busts one every once in a while"?

~Bang

For all these misinformed folks trashing portis as not being a guy who is consistently pumping out yardage, here's a little fact to chew on.

Up until 2006 (when the injury put a bit of a stop to this) only 2 other runners had accumulated more yards in their first four years in the NFL.

Jim Brown and Barry Sanders.

~Bang

Good to see some sense in this thread. Ok, most in this thread have sense, but you put it well Bang. :applause: :cheers:

Dude this list has 4 no five guys who dont even start for their own teams in the top 25 clinton portis is is the best back in the league outside the red zone....

For people saying he cant break one if the hole isnt perfect, well remeber two years ago when Coach came back for his first year? Clinton still had almost 1350 yds in like 15 games..

and if this a fantasy list then i would put marion barber higher cuz he is good inside the redzone. (16)more rushing tds than clevland last year...

Because he doesn't make very many plays when the wholes are not "perfectly" blocked. How many times have you seen him reverse his field and take it for 60 yards. He never takes a short dump passes and juke a player for 25 extra yards. If he gets large chunks of yardage it is because the whole was big enough to drive a truck through. Now he will beat you to the corner from the 10 yard line. But as far as him making something out of nothing. It ain't happenin'.

Umm his first carry as a redskins he reversed directions and ran away from the side the play was supposed to go to and took it to the house. These rankings are probably based on last year when he playing hurt the whole year. Its ok... we all know Portis is top 5. Not making plays when perfectly blocked??? Um the eagles game were he was stopped in the backfield, pulled the 360 circle button spin move and took it to the house putting us in the playoffs..... Let me guess you had a hand and making the list didnt you? Frank Gore after ONE solid season is top 5???? What a joke, i dont even know where else to start debunking this list its so silly....

One more thing to say about clinton portis, when he finally came back last year in week three he made old boy Brunell look like Johnny Unitas with that performance in Houston and his running free up santana for 134 yds on 4 receptions against one of the best defenses in the league (esp run) against Jacksonville the next week. When you play elevates others that is the sign of a truely great player and when your play elevates Mark Brunell at the age of 82 to the pro bowl level then you are truely special.

Top 15 throw out Parker, Maroney, Bush, Jones-Drew, Addai, Benson and maybe Brown and McGahee. All the others are comparible, You guys are all dwellin on his first carry as a Skin angainst TB. NOW with a bum shoulder? We'll see if it holds up, but its (injury) has me skeptical.

One more thing to say about clinton portis, when he finally came back last year in week three he made old boy Brunell look like Johnny Unitas with that performance in Houston and his running free up santana for 134 yds on 4 receptions against one of the best defenses in the league (esp run) against Jacksonville the next week. When you play elevates others that is the sign of a truely great player and when your play elevates Mark Brunell at the age of 82 to the pro bowl level then you are truely special.
If Pro Bowls were evaluated on 1 game. And your talkin about Houston and maybe JAX played down to the level of their opponents? They did lose to Houston TWICE but played well TWICE against Indy, and oh yeah they won the SB

SCOTT ENGEL'S CURRENT TOP 40 RBS - March 8

1. LaDainian Tomlinson

2. Larry Johnson

3. Steven Jackson

4. Shaun Alexander

5. Frank Gore

6. Willie Parker

7. Brian Westbrook

8. Rudi Johnson

9. Joseph Addai

10. Ronnie Brown

11. Reggie Bush

12. Deuce McAllister

13. Maurice Jones-Drew

14. Travis Henry

15. Cedric Benson

16. Willis McGahee

17. Laurence Maroney

18. Thomas Jones

19. Edgerrin James

20. Clinton Portis

21. Chester Taylor

22. Marion Barber III

23. Brandon Jacobs

24. Ahman Green

25. Carnell Williams

26. Jamal Lewis

27. Tatum Bell

28. Fred Taylor

29. Julius Jones

30. DeAngelo Williams

31. DeShaun Foster

32. LenDale White

33. Corey Dillon

34. Kevin Jones

35. Ladell Betts

36. Warrick Dunn

37. LaMont Jordan

38. Vernand Morency

39. Jerious Norwood

40. Dominic Rhodes

This is ridicoulous... not only is he much better than at least half of these runnigbacks, but ladell betts is also better. How can you put reggie bush over clinton portis? CLinton (when healthy) has been very consistent, and when you think about it he hasnt been critically injured that much.... I have officially lost all respect for SCOTT ENGEL.

I can't believe all the rookies above portis - this guy is a moron. I agree with tomlinson, johnson, jackson and alexander above portis but that is it. I hope portis gets over 1600 yards and 20+ tds next year just to prove how wrong this guy really is

Wow, Portis is famous for darting through holes...(it's holes BTW) that you couldn't get a thread through and just look at the bs you are typing about him.

Did you ever see him run in Denver? Did you see his first carry for us? Have you been watching him since his first carry for us? :doh:

Another person pointing out Portis's first run and what he did in Denver. Why don't you open your eyes and see what is actually happening instead of what you hope would happen. You are probably one of those idiots who thought LaVar could do no wrong, despite him being apart of those losing teams. Give me a freakin' break. And the only "BS" is you and your 4000 post. Congratulations Idiot.

Because he doesn't make very many plays when the wholes are not "perfectly" blocked. How many times have you seen him reverse his field and take it for 60 yards. He never takes a short dump passes and juke a player for 25 extra yards. If he gets large chunks of yardage it is because the whole was big enough to drive a truck through. Now he will beat you to the corner from the 10 yard line. But as far as him making something out of nothing. It ain't happenin'.

who have you been watching....

They're just going by what everyone did last year. Since Portis didn't play much last year they didn't have much to go on.

People need to relax and not take rankings very seriously. On the bright side, the REdskins have 2 running backs in the top 40.

Another person pointing out Portis's first run and what he did in Denver. Why don't you open your eyes and see what is actually happening instead of what you hope would happen. You are probably one of those idiots who thought LaVar could do no wrong, despite him being apart of those losing teams. Give me a freakin' break. And the only "BS" is you and your 4000 post. Congratulations Idiot.

You must be one of those "idiots" (just using your tone against you) who think that this offensive line has been good during Portis' time here. Anyone who's actually paying attention would know that the offensive line has been inconsistent (to be kind) and Clinton has made due with what little he's had. Couple that with a horrid passing game while he's been in there and what he's been able to do as a Redskin just further illustrates how good a runningback he is.

Oh, and once again I won't let an unfair LaVar shot go unanswered. So LaVar is to blame for the team losing? Never mind the fact that we had musical chairs at HC and coaching staff during his time here. Never mind the lack of talent on display around him. It's his fault the team lost. It was up to him and him alone to carry this team and if he didn't that it somehow reflects poorly on him and his time here with the Skins.

I'm sure glad you've been paying attention so the rest of us are here can be edu-ma-cated by the likes of you.

So what you're saying is LaVar is not only the cause of the team losing, but global warming, world hunger and civil unrest?

For his career he averages a hair under five yards per carry. The all time record among running backs is 5.2 ypc by Jim Brown. Portis is at 4.7 ..

That is a function his performance in Denver, not here. At some point we have to quit hyping him based on what he did in Denver and start demanding production here on our team. Because one wonders to what extent his performance in Denver was a function of the system. Here are his numbers by season:

2002 Denver 273 carries; 1508 yards; 5.5 ypc

2003 Denver 290 carries; 1591 yards; 5.5 ypc

2004 Wash 343 carries; 1315 yards; 3.8 ypc

2005 Wash 352 carries; 1516 yards; 4.3 ypc

2006 Wash 127 carries; 523 yards; 4.1 ypc

His average ypc in Denver: 5.5 ypc

His average ypc in Wash: 4.08 ypc

Since he has been with us, he has barely average over 4 yards per carry. If you are going to defend and call him elite right now, don't you have to ignore what he did in a different system 4-5 seasons ago? What he has done in Washington has not been anywhere near elite, and the stats show it. Look how much his carries increased and production fell. That is a strong indication that it was the system in Denver that made him what he is. And since he isn't in that system anymore, you can't calculate his value based on what he did then; you have to look at what he has done in Washington.

In 3 seasons here (1 severely shortened by injury) he has broken 2 all time team rushing records in successive seasons. Most carries, and most yards. That's more than Riggins, more than Davis, more than any runner this team ever had. The fact that the Redskins are one of the NFL's oldest franchises with running backs in the Hall of Fame makes that even more impressive.

If you had bothered to look at my post where I actually posted the stats, that "OMG RECORD BREAKING!!!" season ranked 14th on list best seasons over the last 3 years. It wasn't that impressive. And again, based on ypc, Betts would have broken that record last year if he had as many carries as Portis did that season.

You are way over-hyping him if you think he is an elite RB.

He was in Denver. He is not here.

Do you not have any comment on the stats I posted showing that since he has been in a Washington, he is not even in the top 10 in production? Because those stats are based on what he has done for us, not on what he did in Denver.

Archived