Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis barely in top 20 RB list... HOW?

skinsrbeast

Because he doesn't make very many plays when the wholes are not "perfectly" blocked. How many times have you seen him reverse his field and take it for 60 yards. He never takes a short dump passes and juke a player for 25 extra yards. If he gets large chunks of yardage it is because the whole was big enough to drive a truck through. Now he will beat you to the corner from the 10 yard line. But as far as him making something out of nothing. It ain't happenin'.

ur on crack.

After much needed rest I think we will see the CP that took it to the house on his first touch as a Skin,plus having L will help him stay fresh for the run up to the playoffs.I think it was Schlereth who said he talked to CP after he thought he was over the shoulder injury and CP said he was really tired and beat up .Maybe he will come back refreshed.

larry johnson is better than portis. steven jackson is close. portis doesnt have the plow ability like these two guys do. portis is a poor mans LT. however, hes still better than most of the backs that guy put on the list.

How bout we wait til LJ plays more then a few years? Portis has been a top back for many years, LJ just started doing his thing recently.

Im not sure you know Portis very well if you think he doesnt plow defenders over. Portis is a hard runner, he may not be as big as LJ, but he has more heart. This allows him to take on defenders rather then "Marvin Harrison" his way out of dodge.

:2cents:

How bout we wait til LJ plays more then a few years? Portis has been a top back for many years, LJ just started doing his thing recently.

Im not sure you know Portis very well if you think he doesnt plow defenders over. Portis is a hard runner, he may not be as big as LJ, but he has more heart. This allows him to take on defenders rather then "Marvin Harrison" his way out of dodge.

:2cents:

dude, now this is just blatant homerism. LJ is more of a plow than portis will ever be. i dont care how much heart he has, he weighs 205. the guy just put together back to back 1700 yard seasons, which not a lot of people can say they did. and the guy weights 25 lbs more. lets be real here. i love portis, but LJ is a better and bigger runningback.

Because he doesn't make very many plays when the wholes are not "perfectly" blocked. How many times have you seen him reverse his field and take it for 60 yards. He never takes a short dump passes and juke a player for 25 extra yards. If he gets large chunks of yardage it is because the whole was big enough to drive a truck through. Now he will beat you to the corner from the 10 yard line. But as far as him making something out of nothing. It ain't happenin'.

Philly game. 2005. Hit the line, bounced away from 2 defenders who should have wrapped him up. He scampers 31 yards for the go ahead TD. Portis momma then puches some chick in the mouth.

That is a function his performance in Denver, not here. At some point we have to quit hyping him based on what he did in Denver and start demanding production here on our team. Because one wonders to what extent his performance in Denver was a function of the system. Since he has been with us, he has barely average over 4 yards per carry. If you are going to defend and call him elite right now, don't you have to ignore what he did in a different system 4-5 seasons ago? What he has done in Washington has not been anywhere near elite, and the stats show it. Look how much his carries increased and production fell. That is a strong indication that it was the system in Denver that made him what he is. And since he isn't in that system anymore, you can't calculate his value based on what he did then; you have to look at what he has done in Washington.

He was in Denver. He is not here.

Do you not have any comment on the stats I posted showing that since he has been in a Washington, he is not even in the top 10 in production? Because those stats are based on what he has done for us, not on what he did in Denver.

First you say this and want to exclude the Denver stats.

His only two good years were with Denver.He has not replicated that in Washington in the 3 seasons since.Fact: we know that the Denver scheme produced a line of successful running backs who never duplicated their success once leaving. This includes Portis. He was a product of the system there. We know that because when he left, his performance dramatically fell.

You should admit the fact that it is completely irrelevant in determining the expected value of Portis right now to figure in what he did in the system in Denver 4-5 seasons ago.

Then you want to include the Denver stats. Which is it?

I think something that is being GREATLY overlooked is the fact that the Redskins haven't had much(if any) of a passing attack for 2 of the 3 seasons that Portis has been on the team. Look what he did in 2005 when the skins had a legitimate deep threat while Brunell was playing well. They didn't stack the box nearly as often. And even if they did, they would atleast be on their heels for the PA. Seasons like 2004 and 2006 were much different. Our passing game was HORRIBLE in 2004, allowing teams to stack the box like circus people in one of those little cars. Then he's injured for most of 2006, and still lead the NFC(or NFL?) in TD's for about 6 weeks.

My whole point here is, wait until we get a solid, CONSISTENT passing game going, and then see what he can do.

I'll go on record as saying CP is a top TEN back. Not top FIVE. Sure there are better backs than him. But I like his heart. And some of you don't realize that in Denver they run the zone blocking scheme that helps smaller backs. Atlanta runs the same thing to help the undersized Warrick Dunn.

CP came in the first year and Gibbs wanted to pound the ball, a la Riggins. We don't use the zone blocking scheme, but we pull guards and tackles. But CP was too light at 205 and his YPC were low. Then in 2005, CP bulked up the 215-217 to make him stronger. He had 523 yards in 8 games (7 starts) and was averaging only 16 carries a game. At his current pace, he would have still had 1051 yards despite playing with a bum shoulder.

Not many RB's can play with a shoulder popping in and out and put up the potential of 1000 yards. There's the heart part I talked about. And he's a team player. He could've said to Gibbs, I'm better in the Denver style of offense, but no, he sucked it up and made changes to his body for the team.

Top 5, no. Top 10, yes.

I'll go on record as saying CP is a top TEN back. Not top FIVE. Sure there are better backs than him. But I like his heart. And some of you don't realize that in Denver they run the zone blocking scheme that helps smaller backs. Atlanta runs the same thing to help the undersized Warrick Dunn.

CP came in the first year and Gibbs wanted to pound the ball, a la Riggins. We don't use the zone blocking scheme, but we pull guards and tackles. But CP was too light at 205 and his YPC were low. Then in 2005, CP bulked up the 215-217 to make him stronger. He had 523 yards in 8 games (7 starts) and was averaging only 16 carries a game. At his current pace, he would have still had 1051 yards despite playing with a bum shoulder.

Not many RB's can play with a shoulder popping in and out and put up the potential of 1000 yards. There's the heart part I talked about. And he's a team player. He could've said to Gibbs, I'm better in the Denver style of offense, but no, he sucked it up and made changes to his body for the team.

Top 5, no. Top 10, yes.

You hit the nail on the head with that one. However, I honestly feel that if given the ball more(not just running, but in the passing game), he could be a top 5 back if given the opportunity. I guess we'll just have to wait and see though.

You're crazy. And it's "hole".

SCOTT ENGEL'S CURRENT TOP 40 RBS - March 8

1. LaDainian Tomlinson

2. Larry Johnson

3. Steven Jackson

4. Shaun Alexander

5. Frank Gore

6. Willie Parker

7. Brian Westbrook

8. Rudi Johnson

9. Joseph Addai

10. Ronnie Brown

11. Reggie Bush

12. Deuce McAllister

13. Maurice Jones-Drew

14. Travis Henry

15. Cedric Benson

16. Willis McGahee

17. Laurence Maroney

18. Thomas Jones

19. Edgerrin James

20. Clinton Portis

21. Chester Taylor

22. Marion Barber III

23. Brandon Jacobs

24. Ahman Green

25. Carnell Williams

26. Jamal Lewis

27. Tatum Bell

28. Fred Taylor

29. Julius Jones

30. DeAngelo Williams

31. DeShaun Foster

32. LenDale White

33. Corey Dillon

34. Kevin Jones

35. Ladell Betts

36. Warrick Dunn

37. LaMont Jordan

38. Vernand Morency

39. Jerious Norwood

40. Dominic Rhodes

This is ridicoulous... not only is he much better than at least half of these runnigbacks, but ladell betts is also better. How can you put reggie bush over clinton portis? CLinton (when healthy) has been very consistent, and when you think about it he hasnt been critically injured that much.... I have officially lost all respect for SCOTT ENGEL.

This can be attributed to both the Redskins season and to the contributions that Portis rendered, neither were productive thus the ranking. :mad:

Its kinda hard to be considered as the best or better at any position when you spend most of the season rehabing, CP will be back next season and I would think he will be in the top 5 and I would think in the top 2, so dont worry about this too much it is just someone being forgetful

Not that anyone cares about this ranking stuff :) ... but ...

ESPN has him at 5 in the NFL. Even after a year he essentially missed.

1 LaDainian Tomlinson RB SD 95

2 Larry Johnson RB KC C 90

Tiki Barber RB NYG B 90

Edgerrin James RB ARI 90

5 Clinton Portis RB WAS 89

6 Deuce McAllister RB NO 88

7 Jamal Lewis RB CLE 82

8 Carnell Williams RB TB

9 Corey Dillon RB NE 80

10 Willis McGahee RB BAL 79

Who's Scott Engel?

Nuff said

Glad you asked. For those who don't know,

Scott Engel is a FANTASY FOOTBALL writer.

And for those who play FANTASY FOOTBALL Portis is coming off an injury and looks to be heading into a platoon situation.

While I also do not totally agree with his assessment even for FANTASY FOOTBALL, it should be noted he's writing from the perspective of FANTASY FOOTBALL as opposed to real football.

If he were to write from the perspective of real football, this list would likely be different.

~Bang

Archived