33. Corey Dillon

34. Kevin Jones

35. Ladell Betts

36. Warrick Dunn

37. LaMont Jordan

38. Vernand Morency

39. Jerious Norwood

40. Dominic Rhodes

This is ridicoulous... not only is he much better than at least half of these runnigbacks, but ladell betts is also better. How can you put reggie bush over clinton portis? CLinton (when healthy) has been very consistent, and when you think about it he hasnt been critically injured that much.... I have officially lost all respect for SCOTT ENGEL.

Because he doesn't make very many plays when the wholes are not "perfectly" blocked. How many times have you seen him reverse his field and take it for 60 yards. He never takes a short dump passes and juke a player for 25 extra yards. If he gets large chunks of yardage it is because the whole was big enough to drive a truck through. Now he will beat you to the corner from the 10 yard line. But as far as him making something out of nothing. It ain't happenin'.

McAllister?

Maurice Jones-Drew?

Willie Parker?

Are you kidding me? He put CP in the same area as Chester Taylor, Brandon Jacobs, and Marion Barber?

Wow. I guess one so-so year means your whole career was worthless.

Portis, even playing with that shoulder injury, was leading the league in TDs at one point. Wow. Just wow.

Because he doesn't make very many plays when the wholes are not "perfectly" blocked. How many times have you seen him reverse his field and take it for 60 yards. He never takes a short dump passes and juke a player for 25 extra yards. If he gets large chunks of yardage it is because the whole was big enough to drive a truck through. Now he will beat you to the corner from the 10 yard line. But as far as him making something out of nothing. It ain't happenin'.

houston game?

Uhh...are we talking about the same Portis here? I can't even count the number of times he has made something out of nothing. Last season teams were stacking the box since we had no vertical passing game and he still managed to get a good amount of yards and TDs.

Are you talking about Clinton Portis? Do you... watch the games?

edit: haha, tim. great minds...

I think his injuries last year have a lot to do with it. He should be in the top 10 but it is not unreasonable to not have him rated that high, now below Edgerrin James is a bit extreme at this point but, ahh its the media and we are skins fans, you should be used to it.

SCOTT ENGEL'S CURRENT TOP 40 RBS - March 8

1. LaDainian Tomlinson

2. Larry Johnson

3. Steven Jackson

4. Shaun Alexander

5. Frank Gore

6. Willie Parker

7. Brian Westbrook

8. Rudi Johnson

9. Joseph Addai

10. Ronnie Brown

11. Reggie Bush

12. Deuce McAllister

13. Maurice Jones-Drew

14. Travis Henry

15. Cedric Benson

16. Willis McGahee

17. Laurence Maroney

18. Thomas Jones

19. Edgerrin James

20. Clinton Portis

21. Chester Taylor

22. Marion Barber III

23. Brandon Jacobs

24. Ahman Green

25. Carnell Williams

26. Jamal Lewis

27. Tatum Bell

28. Fred Taylor

29. Julius Jones

30. DeAngelo Williams

31. DeShaun Foster

32. LenDale White

33. Corey Dillon

34. Kevin Jones

35. Ladell Betts

36. Warrick Dunn

37. LaMont Jordan

38. Vernand Morency

39. Jerious Norwood

40. Dominic Rhodes

This is ridicoulous... not only is he much better than at least half of these runnigbacks, but ladell betts is also better. How can you put reggie bush over clinton portis? CLinton (when healthy) has been very consistent, and when you think about it he hasnt been critically injured that much.... I have officially lost all respect for SCOTT ENGEL.

You need a link. Are you sure this isn't for fantasy football?

His vision man. His vision. What you're talking about is only a part of the equation, and not many of those guys listed above him do that at all anyway. It's RARE to see a RB do that consistenly, actually. You can argue Ladanian Tomlinson himself doesn't do it that often. It's about elusiveness, toughness, and vision when you're a RB. CP has those things in abundance. He makes it look easy, and I don't remember "holes big enough to drive a truck through" opening up for him in 2005. I just remember him coming out of piles of bodies with a bunch more yards than he should have.

This is a FANTASY football list...who's going to get you the most points, not who is the best RB.

As a result, RBs who are in a platoon situation, or who are coming back from injury (like Portis) aren't going to be ranked in the top 10.

If you're going to get all the carries on a decent team, you're gonna be ranked higher...hence Benson, Addai and Travis Henry's rankings.

One injury riddled season is all it takes for people to forget I guess. CP is top 10. This list is stupid and inaccurate. He's one of the fastestest backs to ever reach 5,000 yards (I think he is like the 3rd fastest to 5,000). But I guess he is only number 20 in the league.........

This is a FANTASY football list...who's going to get you the most points, not who is the best RB.

As a result, RBs who are in a platoon situation, or who are coming back from injury (like Portis) aren't going to be ranked in the top 10.

If you're going to get all the carries on a decent team, you're gonna be ranked higher...hence Benson, Addai and Travis Henry's rankings.

If this is a Fantasy list the OP should've known this. Bad thread man. Real bad. Got me all worked up. You even got that one guy playboy make himself look ignorant.

The recent surge of player moves and other news and rumors have certainly changed the landscape of the most important position in fantasy football. While the top overall projected picks don't look much different, the rest of field has a new look in terms of ratings. So it's time to re-evaluate and re-rank the running backs for now, with in-depth analysis to follow.

http://insider.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?id=2790781&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2ffantasy%2ffootball%2fffl%2fstory%3fid%3d2790781

Archived